Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

When people sell stuff on here, why can't they be HONEST?

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2008, 11:05 PM
Schumacher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When people sell stuff on here, why can't they be HONEST?

As above.

Just bought a set of wing mirrors off a member on here and was told they were in ''excellent condition.'' They turned up today and are average at best. Paint scraped off the corners, covered in DEEP scratches etc. I need the mirrors, so don't wanna send them back etc. Just don't understand why people think **** is in ''excellent condition?''

I'm sick of people lying to me.
Old 10 September 2008, 11:09 PM
555)
Scooby Regular

scumbags
Old 10 September 2008, 11:10 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

who from ??

Shaun
Old 10 September 2008, 11:23 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

This sort of thing seems to be an everyday occurrence..People getting tucked up!

Isn't it about time something was done about this? Ive seen on NASIOC they have a points/feedback system for sellers where you can see how many items people have sold, with something like that in place it would help show the credibility of a seller.

I read a thread over on MLR where there was talk about actually having the for sale section removed for exactly same problems we have over here.

Ive bought quite a few items recently on here but have been lucky enough to have dealt with some honest people even tho it is a minefield because you have no idea if the person you are sending money to is on a level.
The thing is this small minority of arseholes who are only out to sting people spoil it for the genuine people.
Old 10 September 2008, 11:42 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

ive bought and sold quite a few things on here over the years and never had a problem yet, guess ive been lucky so far..

the points system would be a good thing though, a bit like leaving feedback on Ebay i take it?
Old 11 September 2008, 12:07 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's a crying shame this goes on, on a forum, for enthusiasts in one way or another. Unfortunately, this is a fact of life, some people just can't be trusted, and us honest folk will never really understand how others can do this sort of thing.

In some ways, it may seem like a good idea, to have some scoring system, but I can only imagine, it would be deemed to be a pita to implement, as you have to remember, this is a forum first, not ebay. You would have people shying away from buying from a new member, as they had no feedback, yet they could be honest as the day is long, equally, people may buy off someone with more posts/longer member, and get screwed. Not to mention, that it could be yet another system open to abuse (as people sometimes look upon infractions). What's to say 'mates' wouldn't just deal with each other to up feedback scores, to give the impression they are genuine, in order to carry on scamming?

I personally think the majority of people here, are decent and wouldn't rip others off. However, we need to be careful and exercise caution when buying/selling. There are always going to be dishonest people, and if that is what they are like, they will get around any system in place.

Don't get too disillusioned, and untrusting, just be as careful as possible, and protect yourself when dealing with others. On a forum the size of this, there is always going to be a risk, as dissappointing that is.
Old 11 September 2008, 12:10 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen

Isn't it about time something was done about this? Ive seen on NASIOC they have a points/feedback system for sellers where you can see how many items people have sold, with something like that in place it would help show the credibility of a seller.
Yep. Something suggested a few times in the past, but never put into practice by the Scoobynet team.
Old 11 September 2008, 01:40 AM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

I am fed uo too. I'm currently out of pocket £140 for some lights that haven't shown up. The seller was someone who I know had been on here a while, a regular poster, and I thought I could trust them. I got a load of excuses, then the promise of goods or a refund, then nothing. The matter is currently registered as a dispute with Paypal, so we'll see what happens. Interestingly, I can no longer PM them, as their account is marked 'under investigation'...

Also frustrating is that I sent a message to the mods about this a few days ago and I haven't had a reply.
Old 11 September 2008, 02:13 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm currently waiting for an iphone from 'mog'... he says that its in good condition, i'll have to wait and see
wiley
Old 11 September 2008, 04:58 AM
zedy
Scooby Regular

u get pri**s like this, theres a joker on here called EVERSHAM sold me some messed up stuff sayin it was ok only to find the stuff was shot and he knew the stuff was shot because i did past post searches and found out he tried sellin em as needin refurbishment wiv no luck hence lied to me!!!!!
i found out after !!! he had cheek to lie to my face
he wouldnt reply to my messages either when i complained after paying labour to have the part fitted!!!
Old 11 September 2008, 07:20 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Schumacher
As above.

Just bought a set of wing mirrors off a member on here and was told they were in ''excellent condition.'' They turned up today and are average at best. Paint scraped off the corners, covered in DEEP scratches etc. I need the mirrors, so don't wanna send them back etc. Just don't understand why people think **** is in ''excellent condition?''

I'm sick of people lying to me.
Unfortunately, the answer is because SN is now populated by a very different type of membership, to what it used to be. Five years ago Id have been surprised, now Id expect it...
Old 11 September 2008, 07:21 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
Yep. Something suggested a few times in the past, but never put into practice by the Scoobynet team.
The tools are available for VB: if Simon, or whoever is responsible now, could be arsed to implement them...
Old 11 September 2008, 07:27 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Unfortunately, the answer is because SN is now populated by a very different type of membership, to what it used to be. Five years ago Id have been surprised, now Id expect it...
I have to agree. I've sold plenty of things on here, and not once had bad feedback from the persons involved. It's not difficult to be honest, but as you say, all sorts can afford a Scoob now, even the dishonest riff-raff
Old 11 September 2008, 08:01 AM
escott
Scooby Regular

They do it well over here: Talk Audio

I think rating is a good way to go.
Old 11 September 2008, 08:42 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

There's not a feedback posting area is there on here? I think once you've had dealings with the person they send you the link i.e dealings with timmy2take and they get the chance to write how the transaction went.
Old 11 September 2008, 08:47 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

It makes me wonder if a lot of the people who sell stuff on here are breakers posing as members, who just scan the wanted ads once a day ?

Reason being I dont think I have EVER ordered something from a breakers that has been in the condition they actually described it as - there version of 'excellent condition' normally means only a few really bad scratches, rusted parts or bits missing.
Old 11 September 2008, 08:51 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

or people could take responsibility for their own actions and not expect the world to wipe their **** for them?
Jeez its not hard to protect yourself is it?
Cash on Delivery, use paypal, regular dialogue, meeting in person to exchange or sending a proxy who is more local etc etc

In an ideal world its nice to think that everyone is as honest as you are but this isnt an ideal world and there are steps that can be taken to protect the parties involved.

I dont think its up to scoobynet to police and I dont see why mods should get involved.
~Harsh? maybe but its a sign of the times
Old 11 September 2008, 10:03 AM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

Why don't we just have a "sticky" of named and shamed members?
That way if you are thinking of buying then you just check for their name?
Old 11 September 2008, 02:38 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by allsop83
Why don't we just have a "sticky" of named and shamed members?
That way if you are thinking of buying then you just check for their name?
Someone else with a bit of common sense!
Old 11 September 2008, 05:23 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

ive sold quite a few parts to people on here and wouldnt dare sell anything that wasnt as described but then again i have always tried to be as honest as poss.i once posted my old vf35 turbo to a guy over in canada which the royal mail made a right bollocks of and took months to deliver but i took it upon myself to chase it up and keep intouch with the guy until it arrived safely.
Old 11 September 2008, 05:39 PM
adam6900
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigarf
ive sold quite a few parts to people on here and wouldnt dare sell anything that wasnt as described but then again i have always tried to be as honest as poss.i once posted my old vf35 turbo to a guy over in canada which the royal mail made a right bollocks of and took months to deliver but i took it upon myself to chase it up and keep intouch with the guy until it arrived safely.
You aint got a spare gearbox for sale have you? lol

Thats how i have always been on e-bay and other forums, if its junk it gets binned easy as that, you do get the occasional muppet that tryes to take advantage of that but you can normaly spot them a mile off!
Old 11 September 2008, 05:53 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

I've sold a few things on here,but always with a good clear picture and honest discription.I bought a p/s pump,that was 'rebuilt' a month ago,whines and was grotty.Never got a pic,so learnt my lesson. Only found out the seller had lots of angry people after him after(404bhp)
Old 11 September 2008, 08:01 PM
Bikebloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wiley
i'm currently waiting for an iphone from 'mog'... he says that its in good condition, i'll have to wait and see
wiley
Wiley you told me that you wanted my headlights REMEMBER you offerd me £250 . I sent you message's i email'd you with pics.All you had to say was no i dont want them. You wasted my time.Why make the bid in the first place?
Old 11 September 2008, 08:50 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
or people could take responsibility for their own actions and not expect the world to wipe their **** for them?
Jeez its not hard to protect yourself is it?
Cash on Delivery, use paypal, regular dialogue, meeting in person to exchange or sending a proxy who is more local etc etc

In an ideal world its nice to think that everyone is as honest as you are but this isnt an ideal world and there are steps that can be taken to protect the parties involved.

I dont think its up to scoobynet to police and I dont see why mods should get involved.
~Harsh? maybe but its a sign of the times
BECAUSE on this PAID MEMBERSHIP FORUM implementing some kind or ratings system would be beneficial even if it's just a historic representation of a sellers/buyers practices for the user base on here. Ever used ebay ???

If you've ever had a problem dealing with paypal you'll know it does not mean you get an automatic return of the funds in fact in many cases you do not!

No-ones's asking scoobynet to police fk all as far as I can see, people are just requesting the ability to self police which at the moment is not possible easily. Scoobynet has members all over the place so suggesting a proxy/buy in person is not possible nor should it really be necessary!
Old 11 September 2008, 09:24 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PantsUK
so suggesting a proxy/buy in person is not possible nor should it really be necessary!
I don't get the proxy/buy in bit?

Can't we just have a section on the forum called FEEDBACK?
Old 11 September 2008, 09:53 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

exactly!!!
Old 12 September 2008, 06:38 PM
Schumacher
Scooby Regular

Pics of the ''excellent condition'' mirrors:

Mirrors were from 'harry007.'
Old 12 September 2008, 06:44 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wiley
wiley
Not sure why you mentioned this here, but mog is a genuine chap who has been on here a long time, so I expect it to be as described.
Old 12 September 2008, 09:48 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Those mirrors are a ****ing joke. I remember other people having trouble with him and when I said why cant he just be banned he jumped right down my throat saying I was a newbie so how dare I ask for him to be banned. Like to know his excuse for the state of those mirrors.
Old 13 September 2008, 01:13 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

feckme if thats someones idea of exellent condition ide hate to see something he classes as poor.

Quick Reply: When people sell stuff on here, why can't they be HONEST?