ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

what is mapping

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2008, 07:52 PM
manc16
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is mapping

can sombody please tell me what mapping is.iv not had the new love ov my life very long and i am looking for things to do to it.cheers
Old 29 September 2008, 08:05 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Basically throwing away the rule Subaru set for controling your car (fueling, boost etc) and making a new one customised to how your car actually performs or the mods it has.

make sense?

5t.
Old 29 September 2008, 08:38 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by manc16
can sombody please tell me what mapping is.iv not had the new love ov my life very long and i am looking for things to do to it.cheers
basicaly if you start adding things to your car such as decat exhaust pipes,induction kits,bigger turbos and so on the factory setup in the ecu is set to run on the standered car therfore will not give your engine enough fueling and timing to cope with the new mods you have put on.so the mapper will plug in his laptop and change the settings to suite your new mods so the car will run safely with them.
Old 29 September 2008, 09:22 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigarf
basicaly if you start adding things to your car such as decat exhaust pipes,induction kits,bigger turbos and so on the factory setup in the ecu is set to run on the standered car therfore will not give your engine enough fueling and timing to cope with the new mods you have put on.so the mapper will plug in his laptop and change the settings to suite your new mods so the car will run safely with them.

So basically what your saying is that if a full stainless decat system and Cone induction kit is installed then the ecu would need remapped? What would happen if both were fitted and the ECU wasnt remapped?

The reason im asking is because my motor has said items fitted but i didnt get to much info of the previous owner so i dont know if mine has been remapped or not?

If it has been remapped then i would be running a few more BHP than previously expected?

Im steering towards meeting up with Jolly Green Monster to get a remap, no point tho if its already been mapped?

Sorry for all the question, kinda getting to know all about this stuff lol

Cheers

Stevie

Last edited by Steviem; 29 September 2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 29 September 2008, 09:36 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

it would be a good idea to atleast get it checked but if its had a full decat exhaust already fitted and it is running ok then chances are it might have had a remap as when you fully decat then without a remap it normally puts the check engine light on so you might be ok.
Old 29 September 2008, 10:31 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigarf
it would be a good idea to atleast get it checked but if its had a full decat exhaust already fitted and it is running ok then chances are it might have had a remap as when you fully decat then without a remap it normally puts the check engine light on so you might be ok.
That sounds good to me.

Yea its been running fine since the day i bought it and never misses a beat, so im guessing its been remapped. I cant afford to get it checked out as yet, but will for sure when i can

Its just a pity i didnt get much info of the revious owner. I suspect for reason that he didnt get much info of the previous owner before him........mm makes one wonder

So, 260bhp standard with a decat and induction + remap = 280bhp? Meh, that'll do me lol

Cheers.
Old 29 September 2008, 10:47 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steviem

So, 260bhp standard with a decat and induction + remap = 280bhp? Meh, that'll do me lol

Cheers.
Unlikely i'm afraid. You might be lucky at this point but i would not run a car with those mods and no map. Total decat can be bad because it removes backpressure on the turbo meaning it can over boost (not common but could mean a new engine and is it worth the risk?)

Also the cone or suspect it to be a cold air kit are not a good mod on imprezas especially if they are not mapped in. Prodrive reckon 400bhp from the standard airbox so there is no need for one.

That said you pays your money and takes your chance. Been ok so far might well stay like that. The mods won't make much difference without a map and the car is potentially overfuelling like mad. With a map you could see 290bhp.

5t.
Old 29 September 2008, 11:51 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

Well i have to take into account that its been running fine for 3 years so im guessing its been mapped. Infact i feel confident it has because i leave my mate sitting in his Supra running Nitros @ 297BHP

Think ive just answerd my own question there

...ill get my coat.
Old 30 September 2008, 12:39 AM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Are you refering to the 96 wrx in the view your scooby page.?

A car of that year cannot have its ECU re flashed like the last of the classics and all newage cars. You would need an ecu like a power fc for a custom map to be put in place.

In saying that....

i'm 99% sure version 1 and 2 imprezas (yours being a 2) could have a chip installed in a spare socket in the ecu. It could be programed but it was limited in function. I had one a few years back in my 95 impreza. It was a scott taylor chip, there are others like vos which can be used but are more common on legacys. Open the ECU cover and check.

Edited to add..

My 95 impreza ran a full decat and apexi induction kit for 2 years without any issues at all. Then before installing the Scott.T chip i ran a daws device at 1.1 bar without any map, the car was quick and again no issues.

I'm in no way saying that this is ok, i may just have been lucky.

Last edited by rob2006; 30 September 2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 30 September 2008, 08:59 AM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

Rob - thanks for that mate.

Yea the car im talking about is the N-reg in ' view my scoob '.

Were is the ECU located and how do i know if there has been a chip installed?

Also, how would i know if the ECU has been upgraded, im presumming it will say on it somewere?

I know its best to leave it in to get checked on the rolling road, just have to wait a few weeks yet!

Thanks man
Old 30 September 2008, 12:22 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steviem
Rob - thanks for that mate.

Yea the car im talking about is the N-reg in ' view my scoob '.

Were is the ECU located and how do i know if there has been a chip installed?

Also, how would i know if the ECU has been upgraded, im presumming it will say on it somewere?

I know its best to leave it in to get checked on the rolling road, just have to wait a few weeks yet!

Thanks man
The ECU is in the passenger footwell, pull the carpet back and there should be a metal cover over the ecu, remove that and the ecu is attched to it.... I think... i am going back a few years here.

open the ecu (screws located on each corner) and see the pic below. If your ecu is standard you wont have a chip in the location shown. The J1 link is cut if you are running a different chip but could have extra wiring attached to make it switchable.

Last edited by rob2006; 30 September 2008 at 12:24 PM.