Help on buying an old STI?

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2008, 10:08 AM
Pauloupnorth
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on buying an old STI?

Hi,

Im a new member as of today, I have seen a 1994 L reg Subaru Impreza wrx sti 1st edition for sale at a local garage, its had 3 owners , is in red with full service history its got 80000 miles on the clock, im new to Subaru's so do not know much about them, im going to go and have a closer look at it but thought it might be a nice toy for my garage for evening/weekends, is there anything i need to look for with a car this old? is there any advice anyone can give me about buying a car like this? I would take a mechanic to have a look with me if i decided to buy or get an RAC inspection etc, or would i be better spending more money and getting a newer car? i have up to £8000 to spend, but i like the classic shape.

Cheers

Paul
Old 30 September 2008, 10:27 AM
simog
Scooby Regular

I am sure that £8K would buy you a later model Sti classic with less miles on it tbh.

There are loads of private ads on pistonheads and on here with people selling looked after classic Sti's. I have always gone private with enthusiasts and to be honest, I haven't paid over the odds on any occasion and always come up trumps with a great, reliable car.

Not sure how much this car is priced at, but I would defo look around more with a budget like that to spend.

For example :

Subaru : immaculate sti v3 genuine 42000mls.

or

Quality Jap Car Sales : 280bhp IMPREZA WRX-STi VERSION 3- 4WD- REDTOP ENGI

Just to get you started!
Old 30 September 2008, 10:41 AM
Pauloupnorth
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by simog
I am sure that £8K would buy you a later model Sti classic with less miles on it tbh.

There are loads of private ads on pistonheads and on here with people selling looked after classic Sti's. I have always gone private with enthusiasts and to be honest, I haven't paid over the odds on any occasion and always come up trumps with a great, reliable car.

Not sure how much this car is priced at, but I would defo look around more with a budget like that to spend.

For example :

Subaru : immaculate sti v3 genuine 42000mls.

or

Quality Jap Car Sales : 280bhp IMPREZA WRX-STi VERSION 3- 4WD- REDTOP ENGI

Just to get you started!
Thanks mate, i think i will look round more, i have the 8000 to spend but thought if i could get an earlier one in good condition i could save money and still have a nice toy, i think i need to look round more theres obviously a lot for sale, the previous owner of the subaru sti i was going to look at was a honda mechanic who owned it the last 4 yrs,which attracted me to the car. thanks for your advice i will have a look at the car but keep my mind open, i think i need to change my old views on imports the pics you attached look really good.
Old 30 September 2008, 11:15 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

It depends what you want it for; for a 'toy' as you suggest I'd personally look for an STi5 / STi6 Type R or RA.