ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2008 STI Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2008, 09:46 PM
kingofdbrits
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 STI Test Drive

I currently drive an 07 civic type r but i'm on the prowl for more power so while enjoying the weather today i went out for a drive and happened upon a Subaru dealer, i only went in because i'm naturally nosey but the manager offered a test drive so not wanting to be rude i agreed.

The car is fabulously quick even at low revs but i found the steering a little numb and i didn't really know what was happening and I also thought the car was a bit floppy in the corners. The car grips well but it doesn't inspire confidence like the CTR but once you take a brave pill you realise it has massive grip.

It could do with a little more noise when driven hard, i'm not someone who wants to be deafened at idle but without the red light flashing i didn't know when to change gear, it may be as i'm so used to a fizzing 8400rpm but the sti does need a bit more noise.

All in all, i was very impressed by the cars pace and was much quicker than the Type R, i'd say the type r is more fun but as i need something a little softer and quicker i'm seriously considering one.

I wasn't even that interested in buying yet the salesman offered a 10% discount right off the bat so if i pushed i think a good deal is to be had. I've always wanted an STI but never driven one before so would be interested to hear what others think of the new shape compared to the old.

The forum looks good and i'll have a search about for more info.
Old 12 October 2008, 10:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The steering has been the biggest downfall of the new 2.5 STi, I do think if subaru look at this and fix it (and not have the slightly wooly feel we use to get on the old classic uk cars) then it will be a storming car

Tony
Old 12 October 2008, 11:02 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

Steering is definitely a weak spot on the latest Imprezas (along with the styling).
It would seem that very few are being sold, I've only seen one or two on the roads. I think the depreciation is going to be horrendous - even more than on the older saloon models.
Old 12 October 2008, 11:08 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

There's a STi330 with a prodrive derived performance pack available now or shortly, That will add some noise and, if previous offerings are anything to go by, will also free up the engine to rev more easily from lower down and also more freely at the top end. Will add a few £k but money well spent I would think if you're looking seriously at an 08 STi.
Old 12 October 2008, 11:11 PM
ghplumb
Scooby Regular

Low Sales has Nothing really to do with the Steering or Styling

More like the new Tax rates etc and the current financial situation everywhere

Don t mind the Steering to much,but what feels like excessive Body Roll is a bit concerning until you get used to it
Old 12 October 2008, 11:16 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Mate,

I am not being funny but I test drove a civic type R and everything you said about the Subaru was akin to the performance I found with the type R. The noise it made didnt match the speed and power. I was positively scared while negotiating corners at speed in the wet and eft the test drive totally underwhelmed and disapointed. I really wanted the drive to be as good as the car looked.

I must state that I own a 05 STI but have test driven the 08 too. I agree it maybe was a bit refined to what the Subaru experience is but it did stick to the road like my standard 05 should have but didnt. is the 07 the older shape or the new shape?
Old 12 October 2008, 11:17 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ghplumb
Low Sales has Nothing really to do with the Steering or Styling
I think it does. There is still a market for high-performance cars like the STi, even in these difficult times. A good looking car will always attract more interest than something dull-looking. And buyers of this sort of machinery expect pin-sharp steering response, so anything less is a deterrent to purchase.

I was recently looking to replace my Hawkeye and had an extended test drive in the MY08 WRX. I'm a through and through Scooby fan so was already half-way to buying (I even overlooked its styling!). Unfortunately the vague and over-light steering was more than I could live with and so my new car will not be an Impreza.

Trending Topics

Old 13 October 2008, 12:17 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Microstar
I think it does. There is still a market for high-performance cars like the STi, even in these difficult times. A good looking car will always attract more interest than something dull-looking. And buyers of this sort of machinery expect pin-sharp steering response, so anything less is a deterrent to purchase.

I was recently looking to replace my Hawkeye and had an extended test drive in the MY08 WRX. I'm a through and through Scooby fan so was already half-way to buying (I even overlooked its styling!). Unfortunately the vague and over-light steering was more than I could live with and so my new car will not be an Impreza.
Pity you do get used to the steering and the grip is better than you expect though it does take a bit of getting used to
Old 13 October 2008, 11:20 AM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofdbrits
i found the steering a little numb and i didn't really know what was happening and I also thought the car was a bit floppy in the corners. The car grips well but it doesn't inspire confidence like the CTR but once you take a brave pill you realise it has massive grip.
Interesting post and welcome to SN.

I haven't driven a MY08 yet, but the steering feel -- like just about everything else on this car -- seems to divide opinion.

Did anyone else see the test vs Evo X in the recent Car magazine? They said something like "the only better steering feel you'd get would be to rub the palm of your hand along the road surface". This car seems to be all about committed driving yielding rewards.
Old 13 October 2008, 11:36 AM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

I just don't know how anyone can say the new generation Impreza has good steering, it has the vagueness and over-assistance of Japanese cars of old.
Jump out of the Impreza and into a Golf GTi and the difference is night and day. The Impreza has a fantastic drivetrain, but let down by over-compliant suspension and lack of chassis development.
The new WRX-S sounds an interesting proposition (Car reviews | Subaru Impreza WRX-S | WRX-S marks the spot | by The Car Enthusiast) - apparently the steering assistance has been tweaked by Prodrive, along with the usual suspension and drivetrain improvements. To me it a looks a more pragmatic choice than the STi or WRX, and better value for money.
Old 13 October 2008, 01:08 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Even in that review they are still grumbling about the steering so even if Prodrive have done something it doesn't appear to have helped a great deal.

I must admit I have got used to it on mine, I guess you notice it far more if you drive different cars on a regular basis but if the 08 is your only drive then it becomes the norm, that said I'm on a mission for some suspension tweaks for mine to see if I can help the roll and steering feel a little bit less 'stodgy', just make it all a little bit more taught.

I also find that on Auto + diff setting the front end is far more responsive, I guess it's my driving style but if I want to avoid understeer on the tight twisties I find this setting is quite good and has the effect of making the steering feel a little more responsive, well the car in general I guess.
Old 13 October 2008, 02:46 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

I reckon that stiffer ARB's front and back would make the WRX a better drive. I wonder if the hatch body style has raised the centre of gravity slightly - it seems keener to roll than the old saloons and I suspect that this leads to large camber changes when cornering.

The Japanese always seem to have a problem engineering the steering to suite European tastes. I had a lengthy drive in a Mazda 3 MPS - fantastic engine, but the steering is like a remote-control system, you're never quite sure where the front wheels are pointing. A great shame because a very good car otherwise (although the looks are a bit 'understated'). Drive a Focus ST or a Golf GTI (or Seat Leon clone etc) and the difference becomes very apparent.
Old 13 October 2008, 04:57 PM
kingofdbrits
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by STi Lou
Mate,

I am not being funny but I test drove a civic type R and everything you said about the Subaru was akin to the performance I found with the type R. The noise it made didnt match the speed and power. I was positively scared while negotiating corners at speed in the wet and eft the test drive totally underwhelmed and disapointed. I really wanted the drive to be as good as the car looked.

I must state that I own a 05 STI but have test driven the 08 too. I agree it maybe was a bit refined to what the Subaru experience is but it did stick to the road like my standard 05 should have but didnt. is the 07 the older shape or the new shape?
I have the new shape type r, i can relate to what you're saying but i think it is a case of what you're used to, a FWD won't get close to 4WD round corners, i've had an LSD put in and to say it transforms the handling is an understatement, this will be a standard feature soon.
You're right about the power too, it desperately needs more which is why i've been toying with the idea of supercharging or converting to an STI.

300bhp through the front wheels could be..er..interesting!
Old 13 October 2008, 08:51 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofdbrits
I have the new shape type r, i can relate to what you're saying but i think it is a case of what you're used to, a FWD won't get close to 4WD round corners, i've had an LSD put in and to say it transforms the handling is an understatement, this will be a standard feature soon.
You're right about the power too, it desperately needs more which is why i've been toying with the idea of supercharging or converting to an STI.

300bhp through the front wheels could be..er..interesting!

Fair one mucker G