ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Another dealer bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2008, 05:40 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another dealer bites the dust

The Subaru dealer in Mansfield (Lucas) has gone into administration.

"Management said a recent drop in cars sales has left them with no alternative but to call in administrators.

However, the showrooms will be kept open temporarily to sell the remaining stock of cars.

The business founded in 1918 and based on Nottingham Road, Mansfield, employed 27 people."
Old 14 October 2008, 06:17 PM
monotokpoint
Scooby Regular

probably a couple of good deals to be had there then
Old 14 October 2008, 07:13 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I wonder if Subaru will go the same way as Lancia did? There are a number of worrying similarities...
Old 14 October 2008, 07:38 PM
ski
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Times are very tough for car dealers.We print for a big Peugeot and Citroen dealer and they say things are terrible.
By the way lancia are supposed to return in 2009!

Although slightly off topic,I still blame labour for most off the problems we have now.When fuel started to rise last January,they could have cut taxes then,which would have helped with inflation and the economy as a whole.But bet they were rubbing their hands with all the extra revenue they collected(and are collecting).
Old 14 October 2008, 08:18 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ski
Times are very tough for car dealers.We print for a big Peugeot and Citroen dealer and they say things are terrible.
By the way lancia are supposed to return in 2009!

Although slightly off topic,I still blame labour for most off the problems we have now.When fuel started to rise last January,they could have cut taxes then,which would have helped with inflation and the economy as a whole.But bet they were rubbing their hands with all the extra revenue they collected(and are collecting).
Well they need the money now to prop up the banks
Old 14 October 2008, 08:58 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Citroen in Wakefield has closed down, not sure why.
Old 14 October 2008, 09:07 PM
Micky Type-R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I wonder if Subaru will go the same way as Lancia did? There are a number of worrying similarities...
I wouldn't read too much into this as Lucas have always been a bit on the steep side for prices.Probably priced themselves out of the game

Trending Topics

Old 14 October 2008, 10:44 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

I think that there will be some big changes with Subaru in the UK over the next year...
Old 14 October 2008, 10:55 PM
scooby225
Scooby Regular

I had a letter from subaru uk saying that my local dealer had changed, now i know why. Lucas at Mansfield may have been pricey but they were bloody good
Old 14 October 2008, 11:00 PM
hodgey001
Scooby Regular

Red face Research nuneaton

i went into the research garage in nuneaton today they are not having no more new scoobys in they are switching to fiat the guy said there selling more small cars because they are cheaper on tax and cheaper to run..
Old 14 October 2008, 11:06 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

Research Nuneaton stopped selling Subaru at end of July IIRC. They have converted the showroom to sell Abarth and also the new 'Chinese' MG's.

They still have some used Subaru for sale. They've a couple of lowish mileage '06 Hawkeye's which have stood there for about 2 years without been taken!!
Old 14 October 2008, 11:15 PM
UncleCock
Scooby Newbie

It's all part of the cycle - Subaru were the car wanted by lots of people (as were big 4x4's) a few years ago .... you can't sell them now.

My local Subaru Dealer said he would be pulling out of Subaru if the new car doesn't sell ............ runways full of new unwanted Subarus does nothing for confidence!
Old 15 October 2008, 08:27 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Town and County in Aberdeen have given up the Subaru franchise and will only be a service agent.
Old 15 October 2008, 09:29 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

No point haggling for warranty then. This county is just turning to pure cr@p and i can't ever see it getting better! Never nice to see a good company go down the pan!
Old 15 October 2008, 12:41 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

I blame subaru as much as anyone else (although I agree a tax freeze/drop should have been into place on the price of fuel) and the general downturn in car sales.

They could for example on the 08 model have produced a good looking four door saloon that appealed to their very loyal client base ... but didn't (but looks like they are doing now in Aus and US anyway).

They could have produced a diesel (they have but fitted it to the legacy first not the far better selling impreza).

They could have fitted an ECU with vaiable maps including an economy mode (they didn't go far enough with this imho)

They could have produced a large assortment of vendor approved upgrades (they do produce some but have you seen the pricing ...... front lip price for example fecking rip off!) I'm talking beyond PPP here.

There is always lots a manufacturer can do (especially in the niche performance market that subaru are in) but they have chosen (diesel engine development asside) to sit and watch it happen.

I also always struggle to understand their pricing strategy. Clearly the US is a much much bigger customer than the UK and the cost of distribution and sale is without doubt higher but when you can buy a new STI in the US for 18k and the same spec (more or less) UK model is 26 you have to wonder why there is such a big difference. Im sure if the STI was being sold for 19995 it'd shift a lot more..... fk up my resale value mind

This is my opinion of course I for one hope they stem the downturn as it would be gutting to see them fk it all up!

Last edited by PantsUK; 15 October 2008 at 12:49 PM.