Newbie buying advice needed, please

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2009, 04:19 PM
cabbbb
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie buying advice needed, please

Hi all

I'm new here and trying to find out as much as i can about about Impreza's before i start going to look at any.

If anyone has any advice on the best place to start when looking to gain info on things to look out for/pifalls etc on 'classic's' i'd be really greatfull.

Looking to spend 3 to 4k on a weekend car. Can i get anything worth having for this sort of cash? What sort of models should i look at/avoid? Only critera is that It's got to be a four door and as near to standard as poss !!

So many questions, sorry
Old 26 January 2009, 04:34 PM
subeyman
Scooby Regular

ite fella i got my 1st scoob, had it 6 months now and loving it a good place to look would be 'pistonheads' classified section u can filter the price and type of scoob, ive got an 05 sti so cant say much about the classics. my preference for a classic would b a 2 door Type r or a 4 door v5\6 sti. u should get a good deal as the prices r well low good luck hunting
Old 26 January 2009, 06:00 PM
VeilsideWRXUK
Scooby Regular

£3,500 should get you a nice 1996 Sti/Sti Ra. Try and get one with as much history as possible, (even the Jap stuff) as it adds providence to the car.
Check bodywork for accidents as some are driven hard and consequently crashed. As far as possible check that the oil/filter have been regularly changes and are of a good quality, cambelt change is another plus.Try and buy one where the owner has had if for at least a year as I'm always wary of,"I've only had it a short time"...why??
If you can, take some pics of the car you intend buying and post them onto the site, there are a lot of people who will give advice as to the quality of the vehicle.
You could probably get a slightly later WRX but the Sti should hold its value better and give you a lot more for your money.
Old 26 January 2009, 06:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on your age (for insurance purposes) then look at a 99/00 model UK turbo, still pretty quick, 4 doors and in your price bracket

Tony
Old 26 January 2009, 07:41 PM
cabbbb
Scooby Newbie

Thanks gents, this is all helpfull stuff for a complete novice