Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Keep the classic and mod or trade in for a 2.5 wrx??

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2009, 11:18 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep the classic and mod or trade in for a 2.5 wrx??

Well lads and ladies im thinking of trading my classic impreza for a nice wrx 2.5 hawkeye. Now the only reason im thinking of doing this is because my car is now quite high mileage, isnt gettin any newer and for me to get any more power out of it which is what i want is going to cost me between 6-10k so i cant see it being worth keeping it and spending that much money.

What do you guys think as i dont think the insurance will be much more and will be phoning them up this week to make sure. Also what sort of price can i expect to pay, many thanks to all
Old 01 February 2009, 11:32 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

It depends on what you will get for your car, and if your prepared to pay higher car tax tbh.

The newage wrx doesn't feel as quick as the 2.0 litre models, but with a bit of tinkering is better in my opinion.

With regards what to pay, p/ for a 35k mile wrx on an 07 plate is around 9 grand.

And i think you'll find the insurance might be a bit cheaper on the newage cars compared to the classics (or at least it was for me), but only marginally.

Best of luck
Old 01 February 2009, 11:41 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

well i reckon a dealer would give me around 1700 for my car and i could probs sell for around 2k privatly, its a lovely looking car but with the mileage people will steer clear. Plus i would decat the car and full system with remap so would get over 300hp there. my uk turbo only has 250hp and yes i know is heavier and smoother but has alot more torque, depends on insurance really, if i can afford the insurance on an sti i will get that but if not then a wrx may well be it lol.
Old 02 February 2009, 10:21 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I found insurance on newage wrx and sti identical, as I almost bought an sti prodrive style, had the quote then decided on a later WRX. When I contacted the insurance it was no different. The two reasons I chose a wrx were that I prefered the look of a blobeye and overall I believe a WRX is cheaper to run as slightly better on fuel according to parkers web site, sti prodrive was 16mpg urban and 03WRX was stated as 22mpg urban.
Old 02 February 2009, 12:58 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

My 07Hawkeye 2.5 with PPP is a lovely car to drive.
But not quite as much character as my previous Classics.
I wanted to go back to a more practical car so bought the Wagon.
275BHp and lovely 300ft.lb torque.
Quicker than it looks,but the classic is the ultimate Turbo and good ones always be sought after.
Old 02 February 2009, 03:49 PM
ELYA49
Scooby Regular

A lad at work is selling a 2007 '07 Impreza WRX and is looking for around £8k+. Genuine 3K miles. Like new, garaged. EU import, UK Spec. Electric sunroof, side air bags. Genuine reason for sale. Currently SORN. East Lincolnshire.
Old 02 February 2009, 04:01 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

speaking from my own experience, buy the 2.5 and be done with it mate.

reliability is the buzz word these days and my car being up on ramps again is testimony to this...

good luck
Old 02 February 2009, 04:10 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

If you do a lot of miles then you won't go wrong with the newer car. You may want to consider what I have too, the spec D STI is a tamer STI. Comfortable for commuting and also a fun car to drive. Plus if you do motorway miles the STI has a 6 speed box so is as good if not better than the WRX for this kind of driving.

If you do go WRX look out for the SL version.

I do love classic imprezas but they are getting on a bit now and need a few quid spent on them to keep them up to date and in good running order. Downside to a newer Impreza is the road tax, but that will probably soon sting everyone anyway.
Old 02 February 2009, 04:20 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are getting such a low trade in price why not keep the classic and buy a 2.5 anyway ?

I have a 2.5 for reliability comfort etc, and a 95 classic for cheap fun.

2.5's for a £1k will get you to a 360/390 hp/torque split which is hard to ignore. Would indeed cost a lot more to get close to that in the classic.
Old 02 February 2009, 04:32 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

yeh this is my dilema. i as said love my impreza to bits and its a stunning car and always makes me happy when i drive it BUT the engine is on 144k as well as the gearbox without a rebuild and is getting weaker and weaker by the day, so then i have to think, do i keep mine just buy a cheap engine and be unhappy with the power for ever, spend good knows how much tuning a 11 year old car or just nip it in the bud and spend a bit on a 1 year old car!! lol already in debt as it is but will be in further debt either way so doesnt bother me, o also gotta think i got a baby on the way lol, gonna be fun!!
Old 02 February 2009, 04:35 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2.5 then, GB270 Wagon would be my choice if buying again.
Old 02 February 2009, 06:51 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking about selling my 2007/07 WRX SL in WR Blue. Has the leather interior and sunroof but no spoiler. I like the look of it without! Done 16k miles. PM if interested.