ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

would the police pull me over?

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2009, 03:06 PM
esi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would the police pull me over?

my car was taken away by my son on a night 2 weeks ago without my permission (while i was at work)
he then crashed the car and got caught by the police ,he did the same thing last year (so the police have come to my house 2 times now and asked me if i knew about him taking my car) the car is fixed now, but because my son had no license he will be ending up going to court and getting disqualified again.

the question is this? will i get stopped regularly by the police (this happened last year and did my headin) just to check if my son is not driving the car anymore??
i hate getting pulled over for nothing,the car is fully insured, moted and no record

is there anyway to find out if the car has been recorded to be checked on the road if seen driving?

can i go to the police station and find out anything ? what can i do to see if there is the risk of getting pulled over?
Old 02 February 2009, 03:08 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Yes, if you ask nicely they should be able to tell you if it's on their watchlist.

Don't expect them to remove it though as your son has already been caught twice.
Old 02 February 2009, 03:11 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

ANPR systems will almost certainly flag up your car.

I would imagine under data protection act you should be able to check.
Old 02 February 2009, 03:22 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Expect to be pulled over i'm afraid , also (and this is a genuine question) would the police honestly tell you that your car is/is not on the 'watchlist'?
Old 02 February 2009, 03:24 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Might be worth asking on www.5ive-o.com
Old 02 February 2009, 03:24 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Depending where you live and the staff levels it is possible it will appear on briefings for a week or so, That will make the TPT (front line) officers aware and to be honest, The chances are you will get pulled more.

Your not getting pulled over for nothing, your getting pulled over because your car has been TWOC'd twice.
Old 02 February 2009, 03:27 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car could have a marker on it for various reasons-all of which will have to be 're-activated' by the originating officer every month or so,depending on the weeding date.
If that officer believes that your son has ready access to your car,then it would be reasonable to keep the marker live(grounds-he has been caught twice)
Also,your car may have a 'removed' marker on it,in relation to the accident,as i presume the Police were involved at the time of collission.
The above are on PNC.Ther may also be a marker on the ANPR system which uses different databases(as well as PNC).
Unfortunately,until you sell your car or make sure your son has no further access(whatever the circumstances) to it,you may be stopped further.
Officers involved in the two incidents will also have your vrm in memory as its an uninsured driver and potentially,future disqualified driver,so it would always be worth a stop.
Most,should know that you personally are completely legit and may know your son by sight,unless your windows are tinted.
Hope this helps

Trending Topics

Old 02 February 2009, 03:31 PM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

I doubt it would be, I have plenty of dodgy mate's who drive their cars about who have done far worse and don't get pulled.

With regards to your son doing this twice, you obviously didn't give him a good kicking the first time... This is why it happened again.
Sorry mate but sometimes we have to be cruel to one we care about.
Old 02 February 2009, 03:48 PM
ColiNThESTI
Scooby Regular

Agree with above why is he still able to walk after he took it the 1st time

if i was PC plod id be on ur case 24/7 trying to catch the little **** again crashed already how long before he hurts an innocent passer by
Old 02 February 2009, 03:53 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Can I suggest taking your keys to work with you, or buying a safe with fingerprint recognition or something so you son can't take the car.

Also agree giving him a good kicking wouldn't hurt ... or as my father did when I crashed my mom's car, he made me pay for all the repairs (which hurt even more).

Best of luck!
Old 02 February 2009, 03:59 PM
filfy
Scooby Regular

Got to agree with Chris.B
Old 02 February 2009, 04:05 PM
rev.chris
Scooby Regular

sorry to say but yes, its very likely u'll get pulled, ur car details will be in the system, as soon as u drive pass a cop car the camara will pick it up an there stop u, its not nice for u if u get pulled, but then again if he takes it out again when ur at work hopefully there stop him before he crash's it again,

not meening to sound horrible but he needs to learn to have a bit of respect, hope u dont have any more problems.
Old 02 February 2009, 04:55 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Being honest, what would you rather - the police stop the car at regular times to check it is you driving, or they dont bother, your son takes it again and kills himself in it ( or worse, kills some other innocent person ) ?

I'm sorry you feel you may be put out slightly by being stopped, but perhaps ( especially after the first time ) if you kept a tighter rein on your son and made sure he couldnt get the keys, then you wouldnt be in the position in the first place ?

I'm sure they would only stop you a few times anyway, and even then only if it was a cop who hadnt stopped you before - once they get to know your face then they wouldnt keep stopping you to check.

Last edited by MikeCardiff; 02 February 2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02 February 2009, 05:00 PM
Mark Mac
Scooby Regular

Esi,
How old is your lad and what's he doing to make amends.
If we are all truthful at some stage in our teens we have done something mad.
It's a learning curve. Pretty sharp one for Esi's lad.
Old 02 February 2009, 05:06 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Being honest, what would you rather - the police stop the car at regular times to check it is you driving, or they dont bother, your son takes it again and kills himself in it ( or worse, kills some other innocent person ) ?
likewise. Never had an issue with being stopped just to check the car isn't nicked and i am who i am. I know the car is legal and i'm glad they are keeping an eye out.

I only have an issue when they act funny and give you the third degree or make up some lie about "came round that corner in a way we didn't like" whilst tootling about obeying the limit.

5t.
Old 02 February 2009, 05:25 PM
esi
Scooby Regular

ye my son has learnt his lesson for sure now, and i am taking my keys with me everywhere i go , he is 19 of age, he has paid for all the repairs and is very sorry for what he has done

one more question , what if i change the logbook to my wife's name(that counts as selling a car)? would the car alert police system again everytime they are behind me or they do a check? (me and my wife are traders and can drive any car)
Old 02 February 2009, 05:29 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

The local police will know the car, If its quiet on nights for instance they might drive past to see if it still lives at the address.
He has made a rod for his own back im afraid. Not every police car has ANPR its just traffic cars as a rule. 90% of the time you see a police car it is going somewhere and not on routine patrol.

You might get a bit of hassle but its par for the course, If I had done that at 19 I would have been out on my backside let alone fixing the car.
Old 02 February 2009, 05:32 PM
rev.chris
Scooby Regular

it'll still registered to the same address an same last name so u never know, wouldn't like to say. but ide prob say yes u'll still get pulled,

Last edited by rev.chris; 02 February 2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02 February 2009, 05:37 PM
esi
Scooby Regular

ye but the good thing is that the incident did not happen locally and it was far away from where i live. so no one knows my car as i hardly drive it around, only weekends and thats local only

i dono if i should change the logbook to my wife's name or not ! so that will stop pulling the car over by cops
Old 02 February 2009, 05:38 PM
Ianm1983
Scooby Regular

I think the question you should be asking is will you get arrested for cutting your sons bloody hands off

my dad would crucify me if I even thought of driving his motor uninsured and hes only got a Passat.
Old 02 February 2009, 05:44 PM
rev.chris
Scooby Regular

i think its something u gotta get use to m8, sorry.
Old 02 February 2009, 05:44 PM
adman73
Scooby Regular

"because my son had no license he will be ending up going to court and getting disqualified again"

This is a joke, how can he be disqualified when he has no licence? That's no deterent or punishment.
Old 02 February 2009, 05:48 PM
rev.chris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adman73
"because my son had no license he will be ending up going to court and getting disqualified again"

This is a joke, how can he be disqualified when he has no licence? That's no deterent or punishment.
i agree m8 it's a joke, no wonder they do it again. what if he hit one of us on the road, we would be f**ked, uninsured driver,
Old 02 February 2009, 05:50 PM
esi
Scooby Regular

well thats how it works mate, you get disqualified and need to pay a hefty fine, thats what happens to him, but i am sure he will need to do community service order this time, and jail next time
Old 02 February 2009, 05:52 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Mac
Esi,
How old is your lad and what's he doing to make amends.
If we are all truthful at some stage in our teens we have done something mad.
It's a learning curve. Pretty sharp one for Esi's lad.
I agree most people have done something stupid in their teens, but this lad clearly didn't learn the first time, as he has done it at least twice, it's highly likely he has done it oon other occasions and hasn't been caught.
Think he deserves more than just being disqualified again
Old 02 February 2009, 05:56 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

well, i have to say i reckon u may well be looked at a few times by the police, as for your son, i am not telling you what to do but if it were my son they wouldnt be sitting down for a month and if they didnt like that they could p**s off!!!
Old 02 February 2009, 06:24 PM
Mark Mac
Scooby Regular

Esi,
Why are you so fussed about being stopped.
I found driving my scooby and the five O never mixed.
Traffic plods are a effin nightmare but if your legit, no problem.
Old 02 February 2009, 06:43 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by esi
well thats how it works mate, you get disqualified and need to pay a hefty fine, thats what happens to him, but i am sure he will need to do community service order this time, and jail next time
great community service
its a load of crap been there myself and its nothing but a waste of time..

these people should be made to stand out, brand them or chop a bloody finger of each time they plead guilty

sorry i know he's your son but something has to be done
Old 02 February 2009, 06:44 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by esi
ye but the good thing is that the incident did not happen locally and it was far away from where i live. so no one knows my car as i hardly drive it around, only weekends and thats local only

i dono if i should change the logbook to my wife's name or not ! so that will stop pulling the car over by cops
Don't bother, it'll make no difference at all
Old 02 February 2009, 07:34 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

What do you mean next time
I presume he will have more sense now and as for getting pulled you only have your son to blame unfortunately.
Why not stick a private plate on your car, this might get by ANPR.

Originally Posted by esi

Quick Reply: would the police pull me over?