ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

think my clutch is going

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2009, 10:51 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default think my clutch is going

i have a w reg P1 mapped to 1.4bar few light mods running 340bhp and similar torque, i have noticed last night on the way home on the motorway that in 4th and 5th whilst driving at 60-80mph if i put my foot down and around mid - full boost the engine revs shoot up, so i am assuming that my clutch is now worn and has started to slip, (its a std oem) it is fine if you are at 20mph then floor it in 2nd change to 3rd and keep going it just seems to be in 4th and 5th.

what clutch will i need to handle that power? and would it be worth fitting one to handle a 321h as if i ever decide to go any further the clutch would be done, are they that more expensive

any ideas, and any idea where to get it replaced and for what cost?
Old 16 February 2009, 11:20 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I would go for a group N, Give James a call at GRD in Chobham he loves a big BHP and he will be able to talk you through.
Old 16 February 2009, 11:35 AM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

340bhp?? I have a P1 also running at 327 (I think, withut checking..) with de-cat, FPR, FP and Paper Filter on 99RON and my mapper advised that is really the absolute safe limit without further modifying the engine, is it on the original engine?

When I had mine mapped I had the same problem with the clutch- was only 4th-5th gear I had probs (clutch was the original, covered 25k miles) but had an exedy single plate replacement put in and all is now well.
Old 16 February 2009, 11:39 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

car made 338 on the laptop test.

is that exedy the same as what scoobyworld offer called teh STAGE 1 kit

regards
Old 16 February 2009, 11:41 AM
mit
Scooby Regular

Speak to David at Api, he does an exeedy clutch, which has the friction material and pressure springs uprated by them, and will take 400bhp all day long. I have it in my RA, along with their lightend flywheel, love it! The feel is great.

Mit
Old 16 February 2009, 11:44 AM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

the standard exeedy clutch is better than the OEM hence people class it as "uprated" single plate, exeedy recon there clutches are upto 30% stronger,,,, but then they also make some jap OEM clutches too whichn is confusing
Old 16 February 2009, 11:57 AM
mit
Scooby Regular

There are a few iffy exedy's doing the rounds at the mo. Api's is genuine, then they rebuild it to take more.

Trending Topics

Old 16 February 2009, 12:05 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mit
There are a few iffy exedy's doing the rounds at the mo. Api's is genuine, then they rebuild it to take more.
how do they rebuild the clutch ? if they done thing why dont there recon the old clutches ?

you SURE they rebuild them ?

i sell alot of clutches and have sourced clutches for a company i used t work for,,,, i aint found many places in england that can reshoe a clutch/change the springs to the standard spec thats been reliable

i recon they just buy them from another company in either europe but more than likley in the far east as its alot cheeper due to labour charges,,,, or as i said before a standard exedy clutch claming to be uprated as they are very good clutches as standard
Old 16 February 2009, 12:11 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

This is a quote from David in another thread, as one of if not the top subaru tuner in the UK, im inclined to trust him!

The APi performance Exedy clutch is created by us here, with help from APi Japan.

We use the STi spec diaphragm cover. A re-engineered friction disc with stronger grade material fitted and an STi rated release bearing.

It is not available from anywhere else [ despite what they try to tell you ] except us.

It comes in a white unmarked box and I can honestly say that with many hundreds sold, ' problems ' are limited to less than 5 in 5 years of use.

The APi light flywheel is also re-engineered here from a standard Subaru one. We weighed Mit's for a figure and it came in at 7.3 Kg's if I recall. As he says, there is no downside to the use and spool up is greatly improved.

We also adjust the clamp pressure of the flywheel to diaphragm, which is why almost all cars come up with a lighter feel to the pedal. In that case it is particularly lady-driver friendly, whereas some heavy duty clutches need a servo assisted leg to operate it.

We keep good stocks of 5 speed and 6 speed clutches and flywheels.

This is not a cheap factor type clutch, it is aimed at the uprated power cars.

We do offer a lower grade one for the 'on a tight budget ' customer too. It is also Exedy based and performs properly with no downside.

This is also APi Japan sourced and does not suffer from the current problems that other internet supplied ' Exedy ' clutches seem to have.

All APi clutches have a 12 months / 12000 miles warranty.

David APi
Old 16 February 2009, 12:17 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

when i had my sti v5 type r ,i was running 348 bhp ,and same thing happend to mine , i changed it with a helix rated to 460 lb torque ,this was a brill clutch and was just like a standard one
they also do one rated to 500+ lb and the price was good too

stu
Old 16 February 2009, 12:19 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

But they're expensive!
Old 16 February 2009, 12:25 PM
New_scooby_04

As Mit says: contact David at APi and jobs a good un!

Ns04
Old 16 February 2009, 12:45 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

id say read up on the helix ones mate ,,i looked and looked and then compaired them all and the elix came out best

HELIX uprated Organic Clutch

This product is available for: Impreza all models
Handmade competition clutch made in the UK by HELIX autosport. Suitable for handling torque figures of up to 410lbs/ft! When supplied with the organic driven plate the function and drivability is as per the OEM equivalent (sprung paddle option available).

Over the past eight years Helix has provided clutches for many motorsport successes, including the winner of the FIA group N & National Saloons up to 2000cc championship every year since 1992, culminating in providing the clutches that enabled Alister McRae to win the 1997 British Rally Championship in a Golf.

The technical dept of Helix has over 42 years experience in the manufacture and design of clutch system, including 17 years at AP.

All clutches are tested for correct operation and clamp load before being fully balanced on state of the art machinery at HELIX.

£503.94 +VAT

and this is just one story

stu
Old 16 February 2009, 01:53 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

The Api one cost £800 fitted, including the light weight flywheel all in.
As above, there are many options, but it's nice to hear them all!
Old 16 February 2009, 03:20 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

been pm david and awaiting his call to book the car in, thanks guys i think i will stick with him, always taken tiume out to chat to me but never had the pleasure of api working on my car so finaly will be off to see them all

regards steve

now with the clutch in place maybe time for a fmic, 550 and a 18g or 321h !!!!
Old 16 February 2009, 03:47 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mit
exedy do a pdf file that has all the info you need to confirm its genuine exedy i found it very good and was very happy that i had the genuine atricle

to see what your clutch probem is Exedy - eDiagnose

PDF file http://www.exedyusa.com/multimedia/s...Imitations.pdf

Old 16 February 2009, 06:04 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

when i was looking or one i wanted the best as i was going to do turbo etc to make around 450bhp and i found the helix was the one for me , id rather pay a little bit more for the right part for the job

not saying the ap one was crap ,but the helix out performed it

stu
Old 16 February 2009, 06:27 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
i have a w reg P1 mapped to 1.4bar few light mods running 340bhp and similar torque, i have noticed last night on the way home on the motorway that in 4th and 5th whilst driving at 60-80mph if i put my foot down and around mid - full boost the engine revs shoot up, so i am assuming that my clutch is now worn and has started to slip, (its a std oem) it is fine if you are at 20mph then floor it in 2nd change to 3rd and keep going it just seems to be in 4th and 5th.

what clutch will i need to handle that power? and would it be worth fitting one to handle a 321h as if i ever decide to go any further the clutch would be done, are they that more expensive

any ideas, and any idea where to get it replaced and for what cost?
1.4bar and 340bhp...........?