ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How not to kill the Impreza Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2009, 11:12 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait till Oil temp is up (not water)
Regularly check oil (i do mine once a week)
No need to redline it as power drops off before redline.
Old 16 February 2009, 11:16 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're doing all the right things. Don't really need a turbo timer unless for some reason you can't drive for a few mins off boost on the way home.

I always tried to avoid prolonged runs at 100+ mph, as the scoop on a classic doesn't really work above 100 seemingly.
Old 16 February 2009, 11:17 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get rid of the induction kit and fit a good panel filter, lose the VTA DV as well.

Get it on a rolling road to check the AFR's before you drive it in anger. Change the oil and filter on a regular basis as well. When was the cambelt done?
Old 16 February 2009, 11:18 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

When you say "boost turned up2 has the car been mapped for the mods? Could be important especially if it is VTA system etc you have on there.

Roger Clark Motorsport do the Samco kits for sure but others may do as well....

5t.
Old 16 February 2009, 11:21 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vent to atmosphere
Old 16 February 2009, 11:23 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Connor_scotland
The previous owner said it was done in October but he couldnt back it up. The water pump looked nwe an shiny an the belt looks "as a belt should" but i think i may just get the belt done.

The turbo timer was in the car so i may aswell keep it there

Whats the VTA DV - Im assuming dv means dump valve

Also why looks the air filter?? - Im not been ignorant just want to learn more about the "turbo engine"

Fivetide - The owner said the car was mapped.. Im sure he said "Andy Forest" but im not sure. I will have a look at the receipt when i get home again

Vent to air dump valve - i would stick it on ebay along with the filter and fit oe ones.

Get it on the rolling ASAP just to make sure all is safe.
Old 16 February 2009, 11:33 AM
mit
Scooby Regular

If the cars been mapped, then it'll have a different ECU. Your cars at the year where the standard ECU can't have a mappable module put in, like the ESL Live. Pull up the carpet at the passengers feet, you'll see a plate, remove it, the ecu's under it.
Is it a UK car? Does it still have a cat? 300bhp's a bit high i would say, at 1bar. Does it have grey injectors?
Looks nice and clean!
Old 16 February 2009, 11:46 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Should have changed the ECU full stop if it is mapped i think. Somethign like £1500

If it hasn't been done with the mods that are on it then it has all the worst possible things for engine failure from the issues people have.

Induction kit - screws up the mass air flow (MAF) meter so the car doesn't fuel right potentiasl to go bang.

VTA dump valve - chucks out a load of air after the MAF which the ecu expects to be in the engine. often results in poor running as the car will be too rich. Also less power as the fuel is leaned out to get more go.

De-cat - potential for a boost spike as no back pressure on turbo, possiblity of the turbo going pop and taking the engine with itas it will fill the car with lots of lovely metal bits.

Without wanting to be a doom monger though all of this is potential. However, given the price of a new engine you'd be wise to have it checked. If they said it had been mapped then expect a hefty reciept from Andy. If not they've lied to you and it will want doing if you want to stay safe.

5t.
Old 16 February 2009, 11:50 AM
mit
Scooby Regular

You may get a nice surprise and find a different ecu! Or piggy back as you say.
I've had bad issues with dump valves, the bailey one i had on my last car made it idle/run funny, and others too. But many have them fitted them with no issues.
Get it on a r/r, just to see how it's running, i did this with both my impreza's, just as a precaution.

Mit
Old 16 February 2009, 11:52 AM
AzzDSM
Scooby Regular

VTA D Valves don't harm the car mate, Its just personal preference. If you like it keep it.
Old 16 February 2009, 11:57 AM
AzzDSM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide

VTA dump valve - chucks out a load of air after the MAF which the ecu expects to be in the engine. often results in poor running as the car will be too rich. Also less power as the fuel is leaned out to get more go.

5t.

I thought DV released back pressure which wouldn't go into the engine anyway?
Old 16 February 2009, 12:00 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AzzDSM
VTA D Valves don't harm the car mate, Its just personal preference. If you like it keep it.
That's not quite true. Do a search, there's been loads of threads on this. I have first hand experience with dv problems, usually down to incorrect spring rates.
Oh, and every standard impreza turbo has a recirc dv fitted from factory. It's the vta's that cause the problems.

Last edited by mit; 16 February 2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 16 February 2009, 12:02 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AzzDSM
I thought DV released back pressure which wouldn't go into the engine anyway?
Tha standard subaru dv vents the pressure into the intake, hence called a recirc type.
Old 16 February 2009, 12:17 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Whats the point in companys like HKS selling induction kits if they are pointless and cause engine failure.

Same with the dump valves as 90% of Imprezas have them

Also loads of people decat there cars aswell

So is it absoloutly pointless modifying an Impreza engine?
its not pointless if the car has been mapped to suit them , as it is you dont know if yours has been mapped or not, if i was you i would get it checked out just as a precaution
Old 16 February 2009, 12:19 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Whats the point in companys like HKS selling induction kits if they are pointless and cause engine failure.

Same with the dump valves as 90% of Imprezas have them

Also loads of people decat there cars aswell

So is it absoloutly pointless modifying an Impreza engine?

5t - Im going to try get it on the rollers at the weekend - Cheers for the info tho bud

I got all the standard parts with the car aswell

Also i have driven the car over 300miles yesterday/today an its running bang on with no issues. Idles perfect starts first turn of the key. No smoke,knocks,rattles
Do what you want mate, I was only telling you what I have learnt from tuning my car for the last 4 years...You don't need a VTA dump valve and the induction kit is costing you power.

Last edited by T5OLF; 16 February 2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 16 February 2009, 12:22 PM
New_scooby_04

How not to kill a UK turbo (from a UK Turbo owner with a car running 340bhp and lbs ft torque who's had the car 4 and a half years without any major mishaps):

-Warm up before using boost, can take as much as 10 miles in this really cold weather (it's not when the water temp gauge read normal).
- Use the best petrol and consumables you can afford i.e. V power and A fully synth Ester based oil such as Silkolene Pro S
- Let the car cool down before switching it off after periods of on boost driving, alternatively spend the last mile or two of the journey driving off boost.
- Don't drive it like a prat - e.g. bouncing it off the limiter on every journey is a receipe for disaster
- Service it on time and in accordance with the schedule Subaru provide
- Modify it properly, no short cuts like just upping the boost, get the car's ECU remapped by an expert for the mods you perform.

Treated well, they're very, very reliable cars!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 16 February 2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 16 February 2009, 12:40 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I got all the standard parts with the car aswell

Also i have driven the car over 300miles yesterday/today an its running bang on with no issues. Idles perfect starts first turn of the key. No smoke,knocks,rattles

That's good news especially when it comes to MOT time.

HKS etc do make good products. Trouble is they also make some very high end products. People like Andy Forrest and i believe Prodrive will tell you the standard airbox is good for 350bhp no problems. Once you get higher then yes you are looking at an induction kit but right now you don't need it. I would agree it is likely to be costing rather than gaining you power. The standard tuning rules just don't seem to apply to Imprezas.

Also all turbo cars run a dump valve. The standard Subaru one is a recirculating valve not a VTA for a reason. A lot of people have found the car doesn't run as smooth with a VTA kit on. Others don't but i would say the majority of experience says don't bother!

Likewise the decat. As i say it is "potentially" an issue. If you decat a car like Supra for example you have to put restrictor rings in the exhaust to re-create the backpressure the cat should have given and stop turbo one (twin turbo cars) spinning itself to bits.

The induction/samco hoses will be a good mod though.

5t.
Old 16 February 2009, 01:29 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Not a problem chap.

sounds like you have bought a straight car from a decent owner which is good. The question seems to be has it been mapped or not.

As you say it is down to luck. Personally i'm not one to trust what? 2.5/3k engine replacement to luck so went to Andy for the map.

He advised on improving the intercooler hoses over even a panal filter so feel free to ask him questions if you are looking to book the car in!

See you at some meets perhaps!

5t.

EDIT - not sure on classics but witht he newage there is a snorkel in the wing that can be removed so more air gets in. If you are putting the airbox back on you shouldn't need to connect this up. That way you'll basically have a performance filter, shielded from engine heat and a pipe straight to the cold air. Plus it should be much easier on the MAF. Probably only a few ponies in it so may not be obvious changes but experience would say it is much safer for the engine.

Last edited by fivetide; 16 February 2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 16 February 2009, 09:41 PM
JonnyFresh
Scooby Regular

What kind of power loss would you get with a VTA dump valve? Has anyone tested the theory?
Old 16 February 2009, 10:18 PM
STi boi
Scooby Regular

Iv got a sti running at 365 bhp with a blitz side wing induction kit and a hks blow off valve, worked on by slow boy with no problems, i think its personal preferences whether you put them on or not, personly i think my car would not be performing if not for my induction kit! the car needs a good flow of cold air 2 perform at its peak, i think any scooby owner wud know that.
Old 17 February 2009, 12:49 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Connor you could get a front mount but you would need the car mapped for it.
Meaning if u do not already have an aftermarket ECU you would have to buy one meaning 1200+. Keep it as it is an enjoy it.

Ignore all the bull about induction kits and dump valves blowing your engine up its is crap!! Just keep an eye on your MAF sensor and make sure you service it properly and it will be fine