ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Car Going In for a Bit Of Welding

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2009, 05:17 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Going In for a Bit Of Welding

Hey My car is going into a local body repair shop to have some welding done on both rear arches. There is bubbling appering and the guy said it would be best to get rid of the affected area and do some welding.

They are also going to Waxoil the rear arches to.

My car is a MY99 STI and I live along the coast. Is this the right way of going about it. Its going to cost about 400 quid.

Cheers
Old 31 March 2009, 07:35 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

mine was doing this and then some bird hit me up the **** and it tore the bumper mounts out , i had to weld two new lips under the wings to fit the bumper to and get rid of the bubbles . its been a year and its started bubbleing again 98 uk car
Old 31 March 2009, 08:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400 quid
My V5 Type R has a little bit of rust on the rear arches (stonechips) so had a quote for that and the scrape on the front bumper (and a few other very minor bits) and all in thats 150 quid (but no welding).
The guy i use said basically to not worry too much about the rear arches yet, they will not go the full hog and do the panel also, just sand down, touch up and re treat the area with underseal, then check it again in a year as its not exactly bad (just surface rust) but 400 quid is pretty steep unless its serious rust?

Tony
Old 31 March 2009, 09:19 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KINGTIGER
Hey My car is going into a local body repair shop to have some welding done on both rear arches. There is bubbling appering and the guy said it would be best to get rid of the affected area and do some welding.

They are also going to Waxoil the rear arches to.

My car is a MY99 STI and I live along the coast. Is this the right way of going about it. Its going to cost about 400 quid.

Cheers
Is the rust on the inner or outer arches? does it involve painting the rear 1/4's? if it does involve paintwork then the quote is resonable, if its just a welding repair on the inner arches and waxoil its abit steep.

Last edited by Black-Hawk; 31 March 2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 31 March 2009, 09:29 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

I have noticed both my arches have the early signs of rust bubbles, I will see what they about the crash damage first
Old 31 March 2009, 09:56 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine had a few bubbles appear on the arch. This is what they found when the bodyshop had a fiddle....

Is currently having both arches sorted, and the doors re-sprayed aswell (all the other panels have had new paint on the already)

Last edited by Moley; 31 March 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 31 March 2009, 10:13 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Moley,

any idea how much yours is going to cost to sort?
Mine has also started to go....

...although my patch painting with hamerite seems to have done a reasonable job over the winter! I was hoping to do a DIY effort, but it looks like these rust from the inside, out, so any bubbling of paint on the outside probably means the metal is rotten all the way through?
Old 31 March 2009, 11:00 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine didn't look as bad as yours, so am guessing they'll need quite a bit of work.

I am paying £600, but that is to sort the arches, and spray the rear quarters and all 4 doors, and it is a friend of mine who is doing it, so am getting it done cheaper then normal. (One place wanted £1200 to do the same work)
Old 01 April 2009, 09:59 AM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Well mine is bubbling on the panel where the arch meets the bumper. They going to clean all the inner arch wire brush it and weld where they need to. Then wazoil everything.

Wish I took pics to show you. But there are 3 or 4 bubbles close together. Same on the rear side when Some scratched my drivers side in November my garage did a bit of rust work then. But paint has cracke and is starting to rust again so thats getting soughted.

It is a lot of money but I love my car to bits and I've no girlfriend to spend my money on so I've got to have some happiness and atm its the car. So I hope the rust will go away for a bit.
Old 01 April 2009, 10:13 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is it with silver cars?

Heres mine a few months ago, got very slightly worse in the last few months.

Old 01 April 2009, 11:12 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Mines doing exactly this too and found a large patch of surface rust under one of the skirts.

Its Cool grey, so almost silver
Old 01 April 2009, 11:43 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

My green UK car is just starting to go above the back bumper, near the rear arch on the near side. fortunately the rest of the arch is rust free by the looks of things. its going in to have the gout cut out & repaired with a proper panel. I was quoted 400 to do this work.
Old 01 April 2009, 08:00 PM
s c o o b y
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timmy2take
What is it with silver cars?

Heres mine a few months ago, got very slightly worse in the last few months.

wow am i glad i only run my 99 classic in the summer that salt must really eat in to it, my archs are mint no rust on my car at all . i think i may underseal them before they do go.
Old 01 April 2009, 08:58 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I am paying £600
Looks like I'll be going the DIY route - don't think I can justify that for a bit of bodywork on a 16 year old car!! Need to spend the money on tyres, cam belt and brakes instead unfortunatelly!
Old 01 April 2009, 10:16 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Silver one here starting to go aswell!
Old 01 April 2009, 10:52 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

yep mines silver too and is going on the nearside rear arch,had the same arch painted 2 times now and it still keeps coming back,this time i will be grinding it right back to bare metal and may either drill out the rust or weld a few small plates over the areas,surpose the car is 15 years old and its no different to any other car of that age,think its something we are all going to have to face,rust is a killer on old cars!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03 April 2009, 08:56 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Went to check on car yesterday and they said that all has gone well just need to do the respray and that.

He said after cleaning the arches there was 2 holes and that the car has had a respray in its time.

So I asked him if there was any evidence of previous crash damage and he said there was none.

Meant to pick up car today but they couldn't get it finished in time for me break at work. But he said he will wash and polish it cool.