ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is a BOV a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2009, 09:01 PM
nthompson
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a BOV a waste of money?

I am considering fitting an externally venting valve to my standard '97 WRX import wagon and have recently read a few articles questioning their value, this one in particular:-

..."it is the AutoSpeed editorial team's viewpoint that BOVs are largely a waste of money, and that the factory BOV should be replaced only if it leaks under boost (resulting in less boost than would otherwise be possible), or an aftermarket turbo is being used. When an aftermarket BOV is fitted to a car retaining airflow meter management, it should be of the plumb-back type."

Browser Warning

I am aware that it's not going to improve the performance much, if any but I love the 'whoosh' sound they give...

However, if it's going to cause me problems or decrease performance, I'm not sure it's worthwhile. I don't really know much about them to be honest and am not very mechanically minded unfortunately , what's the general concensus/opinions on Dump valves in general?
Old 01 April 2009, 09:04 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

it depends on what the owner wants if you like the noise and want one go for it. id recommend an hks ssqv loudest on the market, iv experimented with the factory one and hks back and force didnt notice and difference in both hks worked fine no problems at all with it
Old 01 April 2009, 09:09 PM
deamon555
Scooby Regular

Best get a flame suit ready mate!

Are BOV's bad? matter of opinion.. The quote you made there is spot on.. THe standard recirculating BOV is the best match for the impreza! If it's leaking/failing to hold boost then aftermarket one can improve performance but make sure it's a recirculating type. Not whooshy!

Now for whooshy ones. (VTA) bottom line.. Yes they are bad for your car.. Are they good/bad for performance? Well they need to be matched to the spec of the car.. Some are adjustable and as long as it's adjusted properly can in theory give you better gear changes if the standard one was not 100%.. However They are harmful to the engine.. The Engine management relies alot on monitorin the air doign through the system. on a VTA valve air is released out of hte system when you lift off the gas.. And for a split second the engine doesn't receive the amount of air it's expects to which means a MUCH richer air fuel mix.. If unburnt the fuel will infact stick in the cylinders and over time can spoil the oil from doing it's job and rot away teh seals on the engine. Leavign hefty internal damage!!

Adjusting throttle tip-in on the ECU map can "help" reduce this problem but it cant remove it! VTA will be damaging teh engine over time. MOre regular oil changes will probably be necessary to make sure teh oil is clean and not washed..

However.. I don't recall ever hearing about an engine blowing as a result of the VTA valve.. It wont be doing it any good though...
Old 01 April 2009, 09:16 PM
nthompson
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by deamon555
Best get a flame suit ready mate!

Are BOV's bad? matter of opinion.. The quote you made there is spot on.. THe standard recirculating BOV is the best match for the impreza! If it's leaking/failing to hold boost then aftermarket one can improve performance but make sure it's a recirculating type. Not whooshy!

Now for whooshy ones. (VTA) bottom line.. Yes they are bad for your car.. Are they good/bad for performance? Well they need to be matched to the spec of the car.. Some are adjustable and as long as it's adjusted properly can in theory give you better gear changes if the standard one was not 100%.. However They are harmful to the engine.. The Engine management relies alot on monitorin the air doign through the system. on a VTA valve air is released out of hte system when you lift off the gas.. And for a split second the engine doesn't receive the amount of air it's expects to which means a MUCH richer air fuel mix.. If unburnt the fuel will infact stick in the cylinders and over time can spoil the oil from doing it's job and rot away teh seals on the engine. Leavign hefty internal damage!!

Adjusting throttle tip-in on the ECU map can "help" reduce this problem but it cant remove it! VTA will be damaging teh engine over time. MOre regular oil changes will probably be necessary to make sure teh oil is clean and not washed..

However.. I don't recall ever hearing about an engine blowing as a result of the VTA valve.. It wont be doing it any good though...
Thanks for that reply, it serves as a good warning for me and based on what you say, I think i'll be leaving it!
Old 01 April 2009, 09:20 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

The oe items are not Bov...........they are recirc valves
Old 01 April 2009, 09:26 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Stick to the original valve the car will run much smoother and probably give better MPG my V3 STI was a totally different car when I removed the BOV 100% better.
Old 01 April 2009, 10:52 PM
classic scooby
Scooby Regular

isn't it also true that lots of people run them without any issues at all!!
i'm looking to put one on mine purely cause i like the noise!!
but am in two minds as to or not and if i did would the bailey one be good??
or the turbosmart dual port one??

anybody help me out

Nick.
Old 01 April 2009, 11:03 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes its a waste of time and money. they cost you more in fuel and you will look like a dick. I have just removed mine lol
Old 02 April 2009, 09:17 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Purely a matter of personal taste, imho.

My car runs fine, the tiny bit of extra fuel will never manage to damage anything.

I have a silicon inlet on my (bigger) turbo and that makes far more noise than the DV, mine is fitted with a hard spring, so only works when "pressing-on".

A vital safety device, to warn pedestrians of your approach, imho !

dunx
Old 02 April 2009, 10:23 AM
Guv
Scooby Regular

Mine is coming off had it about year, bored of it now, I think an induction kit with a bit chatter wil sound miles better

P.S HKS SSQV For Sale - Pm for details
Old 02 April 2009, 11:15 AM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

FMIC + No dump valve = even better noise
Old 02 April 2009, 11:28 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I ran a vta for about 8 months but removed it recently once I had got the noise out of my system ....

my car is sooooo much smoother running the standard dv, and is better on fuel too. Its only a 5 min job to swap over so you can always swap over as and when you fancy a change
Old 02 April 2009, 11:50 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Personally, I think:

1.If you want everyone to hear you, or you just want to make the noise for show, then its not a waste of money, because it will be loud and people will hear it... mission accomplished

2. If you want it for any kind of performance reasons, you are better off just getting a cone-type air filter, sticking that on, and keeping the stock BOV. That way you will get the noise, and the air filter will gain you a little power, so in this case, buying a BOV would be a waste of money
Old 03 April 2009, 03:27 PM
riosingh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djmisio85
Personally, I think:

1.If you want everyone to hear you, or you just want to make the noise for show, then its not a waste of money, because it will be loud and people will hear it... mission accomplished

2. If you want it for any kind of performance reasons, you are better off just getting a cone-type air filter, sticking that on, and keeping the stock BOV. That way you will get the noise, and the air filter will gain you a little power, so in this case, buying a BOV would be a waste of money
agree with point 1.
not convinced by point 2.
will sucking hot air from the engine bay really give you more power?
Old 03 April 2009, 04:18 PM
Timur 008
Scooby Regular

i've got a cone Apexi filter on mine with a FMIC & the chatter i get back from the airfilter is the nuts!! don't really hear my dumpvalve/blowoff valve (not sure which one i got?) lol.
Old 04 April 2009, 09:20 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

I have and quite alot of other scooby owners I know run VTA with no engine problems at all. So dont know what all the fuss is about.