Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2009, 07:16 PM
M12NTA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air Filter Advise

Hi guys,

Just a quicky,

I've got a 02 bugeye and just woundered what the best Air Filter is to go on it??

Cheers

Ade
Old 03 April 2009, 07:55 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

If your not planning on fitting a front mount or going over 350ish bhp then stick with a panel filter, Green are a good make.
If you are going over 350 bhp the go for K&N or a decent jap make
Old 03 April 2009, 08:01 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Just a quick note about Blitz induction kits, because they are a mesh design, they can let particles of dust through.
Old 03 April 2009, 08:15 PM
andyswagon
Scooby Regular

the k+n apollo is a good bit of kit for newage cars................

Induction Kits and Panel Filters : Subaru Impreza K&N Induction Kit
Old 03 April 2009, 09:04 PM
M12NTA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andyswagon
the k+n apollo is a good bit of kit for newage cars................

Induction Kits and Panel Filters : Subaru Impreza K&N Induction Kit
does look like a good 1.
Old 03 April 2009, 09:37 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Although I have had no problems with my K&N panel filter, when I had a remap the other day the tuner was a bit worried because the oil used on K&N filters can damage the maf which are a lot of money. It is a very good filter with good air flow but I would probably not buy one again due to this I think I would go for the green cotton.
Induction kits ? don't think there worth it. I have not seen any performance advantage over a panel filter, maybe if your going for massive bhp tho, and they can be noisy
Old 03 April 2009, 09:50 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Greens are also lightly oiled. If you want a non oiled yet perishable filter the STi one is best. I am running both atm to see which I prefer and I have to say the green is very nice indeed. Scangauge shows 1.2mpg improvement. The STi one, which I have had a little longer, didn't take long to clog. Not in a huge way but the induction noise you get from new doesn't last which indicates it isn't breathing as well fairly soon after fitting. No way of quantifying this into performance, but I know there is a scooby mag article on panel filters that I have yet to track down.

Trending Topics

Old 03 April 2009, 09:55 PM
M12NTA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Although I have had no problems with my K&N panel filter, when I had a remap the other day the tuner was a bit worried because the oil used on K&N filters can damage the maf which are a lot of money. It is a very good filter with good air flow but I would probably not buy one again due to this I think I would go for the green cotton.
Induction kits ? don't think there worth it. I have not seen any performance advantage over a panel filter, maybe if your going for massive bhp tho, and they can be noisy
A valid point.
Old 03 April 2009, 10:20 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Interesting thread here with input from Mike Woods of Prodrive renown.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...el-filter.html

The most vulnerable MAF used on the Impreza is in the MY99/00 (the last of the classic shape, this includes the STi5/6). The earlier hot wire MAF is less easily damaged and the new age car has a new MAF design again, which appears to be stronger/less easy to contaminate. If you have an MY99/00 the advice is you avoid induction kits/oiled filters if you are retaining the use of the MAF. Even with dry filters, the MAF sensor on the MY99/00 does get tired, it's well worth changing this at 50K miles and treating it as a service replacement part.
Old 04 April 2009, 08:03 AM
M12NTA
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=FLAT ERIC;8619867]Interesting thread here with input from Mike Woods of Prodrive renown.

well basiclly, i've taken from this not to bother, is this right. Bearing in mind that i'm not gonna get the car remapped in the near future. I've got a full decat exhaust so would adding a filter make any difference without having it mapped.
Old 04 April 2009, 04:49 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Adi, I think if your just thinking of a replacement filter for the standard air box, then no re-map will be needed. I have got the standard box with a Green panel filter.

But if your thinking of a CAI (Cold Air Induction) filter then a re-map would help it all work to the max.

Having said that I looked into a APS version of a CAI, and if u stick to a 65mm model you should have no problems, but going up to a 70mm, re-map time. (info came from APS web site guys).
So if your planning on a re-map soon, maybe think about a CAI, and get it all mapped together.
Old 04 April 2009, 06:07 PM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC
Interesting thread here with input from Mike Woods of Prodrive renown.

The most vulnerable MAF used on the Impreza is in the MY99/00 (the last of the classic shape, this includes the STi5/6). The earlier hot wire MAF is less easily damaged and the new age car has a new MAF design again, which appears to be stronger/less easy to contaminate. If you have an MY99/00 the advice is you avoid induction kits/oiled filters if you are retaining the use of the MAF. Even with dry filters, the MAF sensor on the MY99/00 does get tired, it's well worth changing this at 50K miles and treating it as a service replacement part.
You've got me worried now I put a Green panel filter on my "99 Type R. I can't remember if it's oiled or not..could this be damaging to the MAF. If so I'll be going back to a standard filter
Old 04 April 2009, 10:12 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

i wouldn't worry too much matey, there only lightly oiled, have a read of thishttp://www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk/news...0007&detail=63

Aaron

Last edited by Aaron1978; 04 April 2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04 April 2009, 10:20 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

I have recently been looking at a filter, Perrin do a Short Ram (foamElement) type IK, which the bumf on the site says there is no need to remap for ??, I have just orderd a Green (TSL Hybrid) filter - after looking at loads of options the Sti filter was almost £70 !! the above cost me 45- posted...on a bad note I have a K&N panel filter, oiled and my car has just returned from the garage with a dead Maf !!!!!!!! Who knows eh
Old 05 April 2009, 09:21 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by M12NTA
I've got a full decat exhaust so would adding a filter make any difference without having it mapped.
I take it you had it re-mapped when you did the de-cat? Just a change of panel filter will be fine. If you didn't then it would be wise to ASAP.

Originally Posted by MK2VTR8VALVE
You've got me worried now I put a Green panel filter on my "99 Type R. I can't remember if it's oiled or not..could this be damaging to the MAF. If so I'll be going back to a standard filter
The Green is only lightly oiled so should be fine. When you clean & re-oil it follow the instructions & don't over oil it.

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555
I have just ordered a Green (TSL Hybrid) filter - after looking at loads of options the Sti filter was almost £70 !! the above cost me 45- posted...on a bad note I have a K&N panel filter, oiled and my car has just returned from the garage with a dead Maf !!!!!!!! Who knows eh
Green or STi both ok without re-map. As above with the Green when you clean & re-oil it follow the instructions & don't over oil it. I have heard of a few K&N's causing problems so you are not alone.

Last edited by FLAT ERIC; 05 April 2009 at 09:26 PM.