ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is this plate MOT legal?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2009, 10:12 AM
mit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this plate MOT legal?

Hi, I'm getting a new front number plate made up, and wanted to go for this design:

Is this a legal plate? All the lettering,sizing and spacing are correct, i just wasn't sure about the logo.

Thanks,Mit
Old 07 April 2009, 10:40 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Nope.

No logos apart from GB/Euro symbols/flags.
No messages in the footer text.
Must contain the address of the plate maker.
Must contain the BS AU 14d marking.
Old 07 April 2009, 10:42 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Saying that I do like the design!

Quite often you'll be fine with such a plate. It's normally incorrect font/lettering size and incorrect spacing that draw attention. Although plod could give you a ticket if they so wanted for any other of the reasons above.
Old 07 April 2009, 10:43 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psigeek
Nope.

No logos apart from GB/Euro symbols/flags.
No messages in the footer text.
Must contain the address of the plate maker.
Must contain the BS AU 14d marking.
Is this only for new plates being made after the date the new rules were brought in ?

I just wondered as this would mean a lot of cars failing the mot test.
Old 07 April 2009, 10:49 AM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

My plates were perfectly legible with official font but had a Scooby-Doo where the GB etc should be and the Subaru stars faded into the back, MOT was not the problem it was the Police around Plymouth who gave me a £30 fine and 2 weeks to get them off. Subsequently got pulled 3 times in 5 days whilst I waited to get my plates back on, just flashed them my previous ticket and off I went.
Old 07 April 2009, 10:50 AM
mit
Scooby Regular

Thanks, i've ordered it anyway, just hope as you say, having all the standard lettering and spacing, the plod will leave me alone!
When you say ticket, do you mean a 7 day wonder, or could they actually give you 3 points?
Old 07 April 2009, 10:52 AM
mit
Scooby Regular

Also, im leaving the rear standard, so as you tend to be followed, they won't see the front!
Old 07 April 2009, 11:06 AM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mit
Thanks, i've ordered it anyway, just hope as you say, having all the standard lettering and spacing, the plod will leave me alone!
When you say ticket, do you mean a 7 day wonder, or could they actually give you 3 points?
I had 2 weeks to pay the fine and change the plates with a ticket reflecting this, the threat was I'd be on a database and if pulled after that 2 week period my plates would be seized thus seizing my car

Don't know about the points but I don't doubt there is something there to get you.
Old 07 April 2009, 11:09 AM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mit
Also, im leaving the rear standard, so as you tend to be followed, they won't see the front!
When I did get pulled they didn't (couldn't) have seen my plates, initially, from where there were sat just followed the car and then did me for the plates, same with the 2nd time. The 3rd time he "may" have seen the front of my car and then followed me for about 5 miles before "enquiring" about my plates etc.

Good theory I suppose about the back as only 1 time did they actually look at the tax and front plates.

Good luck
Old 07 April 2009, 11:13 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mit
You have a point there! If you're passing them with it looking all standard you should be OK (those with 3/4 size plates maybe not so ).

Originally Posted by mit
As above it's a £30 fine. Although, they can give you a ticket and get you to change them within a set number of days by going to a garage and getting them to sign you off as 'legal'.

Originally Posted by g7prs
Is this only for new plates being made after the date the new rules were brought in ?

I just wondered as this would mean a lot of cars failing the mot test.
Yeah you're part right, the date 1st September 2001 being important. http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/lea...mberplates.pdf

All cars after that date conform to the new rules.

HOWEVER, all new plates (even for older cars) must also conform to the new rules.

As a side note you might find that generally a traffic patrol (white hat) will like to give a ticket. A general patrol has a lot of other paper work to deal with and may be happier to give you a warning . Remember to be polite out there.
Old 07 April 2009, 11:36 AM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

The guy that did me was ANPR and was a decent bloke, after all I knew it was wrong so I wasn't a chopper about being pulled although I did laugh at him when he said it wasn't clear what the plate was even though we could both see it on his monitor clear as day lol.

The 2 "normal" patrol cars were different and looked like they were trying to do me, so the previous ticket was handy.

1, the spitting image of Reg Holdsworth, followed me for some time whilst cars flew past us and I counted at least 2 people carriers with proper illegal plates - dodgy spacings and screw placements etc - but that didn't matter he was determined to fond something but couldn't bar the plate of course.

The 2nd set were 2 young lads who breathalysed me, quizzed me and my missus checked all over the car and started saying all these codes I had broken with my plate etc.

Certainly depends on who you get as to what they will get you for but at the end of the day the plate was illegal and I accepted it, well only from the 1st copper the rest wittered on and then I showed them the ticket and explained I was waiting for my plates and let them get on their jolly way.
Old 07 April 2009, 11:41 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest it doesnt sound worth all the hassle.
Old 07 April 2009, 11:49 AM
New_scooby_04

Saying that I do like the design!

Quite often you'll be fine with such a plate. It's normally incorrect font/lettering size and incorrect spacing that draw attention. Although plod could give you a ticket if they so wanted for any other of the reasons above.
I think that's about right. Changing the font or the spacing is a big no, no; definitely attracts attention. I have a 3/4 front size plate, otherwise completely std. It's very obviously there because of the FMIC. Rear plate is std. Been like this for about a year now. I have been past several ANPR patrols and had a few patrol cars have had a peek, but have yet to be pulled over.

I reckon you'll be fine Mit- nice design btw!

Ns04
Old 07 April 2009, 11:52 AM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

I don't regret doing it but my plates are now completely standard so I can pootle on along "worry free" lol
Old 07 April 2009, 12:12 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moff1888
The guy that did me was ANPR and was a decent bloke, after all I knew it was wrong so I wasn't a chopper about being pulled although I did laugh at him when he said it wasn't clear what the plate was even though we could both see it on his monitor clear as day lol.

The 2 "normal" patrol cars were different and looked like they were trying to do me, so the previous ticket was handy.

1, the spitting image of Reg Holdsworth, followed me for some time whilst cars flew past us and I counted at least 2 people carriers with proper illegal plates - dodgy spacings and screw placements etc - but that didn't matter he was determined to fond something but couldn't bar the plate of course.

The 2nd set were 2 young lads who breathalysed me, quizzed me and my missus checked all over the car and started saying all these codes I had broken with my plate etc.

Certainly depends on who you get as to what they will get you for but at the end of the day the plate was illegal and I accepted it, well only from the 1st copper the rest wittered on and then I showed them the ticket and explained I was waiting for my plates and let them get on their jolly way.
Sounds like you attract the attention mate . I think some areas of the country different cars attract more than others. Of course they don't need 'a reason' to pull you. They just will if they want to.

I don't think it'll be long before they start getting onto people with square plates (that are either EU/UK cars and/or have enough room for a standard one).

Oh and nice one for admitting you knew it was wrong. Too many come on complaining about their plates and fines. (For what it's worth I know my front one is technically a 'show plate' ).
Old 07 April 2009, 12:16 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

The ANPR guy told me they were cracking down on plates in Plymouth - at the time - mostly due to bikers and their teeny tiny plates lol.
Old 07 April 2009, 05:53 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres something for you to ponder
If you were to get a number plate made up with an 'illegal' logo on the left (bearing in mind the rest of the plate is perfectly legal, no writing, makers postcode etc) and you were to separate the logo by cutting it off but mounted it on the car as if it was still attached, would this be legal as technically its not part of the number plate
Old 07 April 2009, 06:02 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
If you were to get a number plate made up with an 'illegal' logo on the left (bearing in mind the rest of the plate is perfectly legal, no writing, makers postcode etc) and you were to separate the logo by cutting it off but mounted it on the car as if it was still attached, would this be legal as technically its not part of the number plate
Does it have to be a certain size?
The GB, Scot etc logo is part of the law I thought?
Old 07 April 2009, 06:11 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
Well technically you can't get a 'legal' plate with an illegal logo made. All legal plates require you to produce ID and a vehicle document such as the V5C and the maker will stick to only putting bits on the plate that are legal options (like the EU/GB logo). I'm pretty sure DVLA registered plate makers keep the details of the plates they make too, so can only make you a legal one. The point of the postcode at the bottom is that plod is supposed to be able to check the maker and it's legality, etc (though I can't see as many bother except if the plates are hooky or something).

Most of the time it's the legal lettering and spacing etc that is offered on those that are willing to provide a plate with different logos, etc., such as the one in the OP's first post.

Though you make an interesting point. If you did do as you suggest I think it's gotta be no different to having slogans or graphics anywhere else on the car. If you haven't defaced the plate in anyway and as long as there is still the minimum distance between the plate edge and the lettering then I can't see as you've done wrong

Interesting point though.
Old 07 April 2009, 06:14 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Does it have to be a certain size?
The GB, Scot etc logo is part of the law I thought?
The GB, Scot etc is optional so you don't have to put a GB sticker on the car if you go abroad.

The plate can be whatever size as long as there's a minimum 11mm gap from the letters to the edge of the plate.
Old 07 April 2009, 06:20 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

I had 2 weeks to pay the fine and change the plates with a ticket reflecting this, the threat was I'd be on a database and if pulled after that 2 week period my plates would be seized thus seizing my car

Don't know about the points but I don't doubt there is something there to get you.
Sounds like BS - I'd love to see them trying to convince a Sergeant that a vehicle needs seizing due to number plates

DVLA suggests offences can escalate to...
● A fine of up to £1,000
● The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN
● The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test
Old 07 April 2009, 08:20 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Sounds like BS - I'd love to see them trying to convince a Sergeant that a vehicle needs seizing due to number plates

DVLA suggests offences can escalate to...
● A fine of up to £1,000
● The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN
● The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test
I guessed he was just blagging me so I let him get on with it so I could get out of there.
Old 08 April 2009, 06:32 PM
Nige84
Scooby Newbie

On the subject of number plates, ive always wondered how the WRC cars get away with there tiny front and rear plates? Even though they drive on road sections like the rest of us between stages
Old 08 April 2009, 11:40 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nige84
On the subject of number plates, ive always wondered how the WRC cars get away with there tiny front and rear plates? Even though they drive on road sections like the rest of us between stages
Yeah I'd wondered that too.

Guess plod doesn't want a 1000 angry rally fans armed with coffee flasks (me included). They'd fail an emissions test, have no MOT displayed and are quite loud too !

Wasn't there potential issues with getting N1 WRC on the road for McRae Gathering? Obviously overcome, but that had a small front number plate fitted.
Old 09 April 2009, 08:16 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I had a similar query last year. When I bought my Pug, the plates needed changing, but as it's an older car, I didn't require the BS text on the bottom.

This is what I had made up. Passed MOT and not been stopped by the police at all.

Old 09 April 2009, 09:16 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I had a similar query last year. When I bought my Pug, the plates needed changing, but as it's an older car, I didn't require the BS text on the bottom.

This is what I had made up. Passed MOT and not been stopped by the police at all.
Like the plate

Just lucky I guess. You're right about your car being before the new regs, but it applies to all new plates made since 1st Sep 2001, even if for older cars.

Besides you have the Euro/GB logo which wasn't available then

As above though, if you've got correct size plate, legal lettering font and spacing you're going to need to find a really **** (normally traffic) officer to give a ticket. My front is similar to yours, but has 'Impreza STI' at the bottom. Never had bother and I park in a police station every day
Old 09 April 2009, 12:20 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Look I can undersand the letter spacing etc. but wtf does it matter what logo is on there or what it says in the footer text or whether there is a BS kitemark on the damn things?

Unless someone can explain the reasoning to me I can't help but feel it is just another stupid utterly unecessary law to beat the motorist with.

This country is just becoming one big red tape laden mess, more and more laws with less and less sensible enforcement!!
Old 09 April 2009, 12:22 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Good Lord and I thought my classic was poorly built panel fit wise. Still it is French
Old 09 April 2009, 12:31 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

the ZS180 i bought came with bloody england flag plates rather then spending the cash on some new plates i found a bloke on ebay selling the GB part as a sticker, so i bunged some of them over the top of the england chav flag instead
Old 09 April 2009, 12:43 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Good Lord and I thought my classic was poorly built panel fit wise. Still it is French
It's my pride and joy, so go easy eh?

Quick Reply: Is this plate MOT legal?