ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STi 7 (UK) Questions

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2002, 11:57 AM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi
Does anyone know a way to get hold of the review of the STi 7 in Febs edition of Evo?

I've gone to every shop I can think of, even had Smiths see if they can get it from their warehouse - but too late.

I know I could order a back-issue from Evo - but don't want to wait for the post etc! If only they did a PDF version.

Any ideas?

Reason for asking is that it looks like I'm doing MY00 PPP to PD STi (Third Impreza...)

Can anyone answer the following?

1) What are the lights like compared to the MY00 lights? (In terms of brightness - not looks :P) Are they comparable to MY00 + Halogen bulbs?

2) What is the standard exhaust note like compared to the PPP exhaust? (What size?)

3) I gather the performance is marginally better than the PPP when run in? Any comments? Got to be said I hope I'm going to be OK with the different power delivery - I've got very used to mid range rev driving...

Got to be said I liked the brakes and handling

Thanks all
Nick
Old 28 February 2002, 12:24 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Nick.

1) Lights are better than the standard MY00 lights, but only just. I may be upgrading the bulbs at some point. Main beams ar not not a patch on the PIAA lights I had on my old MY00.

2) Not heard the PPP exhaust, but the standard STi exhaust is VERY quiet. Most of the time you can't hear it above the road noise!! Hence the reason I've ordered a Scoobysport backbox

3) Not driven a MY00 PPP, but I can confirm that it's quite a bit quicker than the standard MY00. The power delivery does not seem to drop off at the top end of the rev range like my MY00 did, and it seems to have much more torque in every gear. Performance may only be marginally better, but 0-60 speed isn't everything (remember that front diff and overall better handling). Also remember that Prodrive are reliably rumoured to be bringing out a PPP for the STi later in the year. Should be heaps fastre than the MY00 then

Cheers,
Iain
Old 28 February 2002, 12:33 PM
STiSteve
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nick,
Can confirm what Iain said about the exhaust, havent taken delivery of mine yet (9.30 Friday, am i exited or what) but I did have the chance to listen to a Std STi next to one with Scoobysport bb and the scoobysport sounded much crisper, the std one is very quiet considering the size of the tail pipe.

cheers, Steve
Old 28 February 2002, 12:44 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

Iain,
I wsa going to put the Scooby sport on mine aswell.
Till I spoke with Lancaster Subaru and the sales guy told me of the PPP pack due out in a couple of months for our STI's.
New exhaust, air filter and Engine management he said, and they were speculating of between 315-330 BHP.
Now that sounds like fun.( Sorry more fun )

[Edited by mccltd - 2/28/2002 12:45:25 PM]
Old 28 February 2002, 01:26 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Oo eck, that sounds good Dave. Fitting the backbox made no difference to my insurance though, and as I'm unlikely to be able to afford the PPP until the Autumn, it was a good compromise

Iain.
Old 28 February 2002, 01:32 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Nick

I have just traded my MY99 PPP in against a PD STi7. I am in the lucky postion that I was able to drive an STi7 on a variety of roads for over an hour (thanks yet again - jools). It is IMO considerably quicker A to B than the PPP'd car thanks to the handling and that lovely suretrac diff that just drags you through the corners. The power delivery is simliarish to the PPP'd car except that it appears to go on for longer in the rev range.

The 6 speed gearbox worried me at first as I expected to have to do more 'stirring' of it to make the car go.

Hope you enjoy the car when you get it.
Old 28 February 2002, 02:51 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Nick, I've got a copy on my desk, I'll scan and post the pages up if your still interested.
Old 28 February 2002, 03:03 PM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for the great responses.

Just waiting to clarify the payment terms etc and if that comes back OK then it looks like a go-er !!!

Boultsy - if you could get me the article I'd be very grateful !!

Either email it to me nick@nraponi.u-net.com or put it up on the web (if thats easier)

Thanks a lot!!
Nick
Old 28 February 2002, 03:13 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Nick ,

12 files, total size 5.6M, hope your email account can handle something of this size, anyway YHM.
Old 02 March 2002, 12:15 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Hi can you email it to me too please

Thanks, raymondsimpson@usa.net

Ray
Old 02 March 2002, 12:55 PM
evo5uk
Scooby Regular

Boultsy

Can you mail it to me as well @ evo5uk@yahoo.com
Old 02 March 2002, 06:32 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Nick, to finalise your check list. I moved from a MY00 with PPP to the STI and it is a lot quicker. 4th gear acceleration is just awsome.

Ken
Old 02 March 2002, 08:34 PM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks to everyone that responded - especially Alan.

Deed is done - STi ordered today

Old 04 March 2002, 06:35 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

no worries Nick, you lucky bugger.

razor, evo YHM.
Old 04 March 2002, 07:15 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

evo havin serious problems trying to email this stuf to you, have split it into 3 instalments, 1 and 2 got through, but your account is now full. Let us know when it's not and I'll follow up with the 3rd.