ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Mending my splitter - how to?

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2009, 07:43 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mending my splitter - how to?

Just after a wee bit of advice on how to mend my front splitter. I caught the damn thing in a rock today a split it top to bottom , basically in half. The two parts fit back together perfectly and is a jagged break. Jusy wondering what might be the best glue to use as I don't want to try a whole load of things and make a mess of it. It's an ABS plastic on from HT-Auto's.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10 April 2009, 08:16 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might be worth asking Dave himself for some advice as he's a really helpful guy.

I have seen plastic repair kits that basically involve you putting a patch on the reverse of the splitter, bonded with some epoxy resin, that rejoins the broken parts.

Something along these lines...

BROKEN CRACKED PLASTIC CAR BUMPER TRIM FULL REPAIR KIT on eBay, also, Paint Body Shop Supplies, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 25-Apr-09 23:19:04 BST)

I'm assuming that the split hasn't gone all the way through the overlap that attaches to the bumper so you will at least have something holding it together other than the patch.
Old 11 April 2009, 12:11 AM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Meallbhan
Just after a wee bit of advice on how to mend my front splitter. I caught the damn thing in a rock today a split it top to bottom , basically in half. The two parts fit back together perfectly and is a jagged break. Jusy wondering what might be the best glue to use as I don't want to try a whole load of things and make a mess of it. It's an ABS plastic on from HT-Auto's.

Thanks in advance.
Dont mend it, replace it!!! i repair'd a damaged lower lip on mine and when it did fail it caused alot of additional damage.
Old 11 April 2009, 12:31 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Meallbhan

Thanks in advance.
ABS cement will work then. Same stuff as used for joining ABS plumbing wastes etc.
Old 11 April 2009, 11:02 AM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

I have tried to phone HT-Autos but I think cos its the easter weekend they are all closed up for a few days as the phone rang out, so will try again next week.

The stuff on ebay looks like it could work.

The ABS cement - I have a tub of that in the shed, well I think its the same stuff anyway. The stuff after one whiff of it and you're high as a kite! May give that a go but would need to be pretty careful I reckon as it melts the plastic easily. Thanks for the replies.