ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Importing WRX from Europe

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2001, 04:19 PM
scooby fan
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am about to take delivery of a WRX from Holland, and after visiting the importer here in the UK I am a little concerned. The garage already had a WRX they use a demo car and I noticed it had the rear spoiler was missing, and the seats are similar to my MY97. This I was told is a minor hitch that they will rectify here before I take delivery of the car. That's all well and good but do any of you know if other things may be different or missing that are not as noticeable as a rear spoiler?
Old 11 February 2001, 04:31 PM
S
Scooby Regular

scoobyfan,

An imported WRX MY01 will come with no spoiler as this is an option. The car also comes with sports seats in lieu of side airbags.
I will check it out when I get to the office tommorrow and let you know.

S.
Old 11 February 2001, 06:52 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Could this lack of side airbags scupper you if you are insuring an import as "Full UK Spec"? Spoiler not so important, as it's not a safety feature.
Old 11 February 2001, 07:06 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Scoobyfan, I think you could be on very dodgy ground here. My understanding of a UK car is one bought in the UK anything else regardless of spec is an import and should insured accordingly.I'd get on the phone ASAP and check with your insurers.
Best of luck Bob

[This message has been edited by BOB.T (edited 11 February 2001).]
Old 11 February 2001, 07:23 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Actually, I should point out I have an EU import MY00. It is insured as an EU Import to Full UK Spec with a Clifford Concept 300 alarm. The only difference between an EU MY00 and a UK MY00 is the alarm (Sigma M30 fitted by IM to UK models), so I made sure I got an equivalent (or better) one fitted. I even went as far as not getting a car in Rally Blue as it isn't a UK colour -- don't want the insurers to find any way of weaseling out of things.
Old 11 February 2001, 09:30 PM
keo
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Hope this is of use.

I imported an MY01 WRX from a dutch dealer (Frits Kempen) last week and the car is to UK spec with spoiler etc. All cars going into Holland have no spoiler as standard (local tax issue) but the do offer the UK spoiler as an option, therefore you can choose to have it or not which will allow you to wait for spoiler options from the likes of scoobysport et al.

It also has the bucket seats as standard without side airbags. These seats are as shown in the Subaru UK brochure but which are not available in the UK until spring/summer. My interpretation of the UK brochure is that you can order the standard WRX either in bucket or sports seats options. For insurance purposes if you are concerned let them know, but I believe the both seats are standard WRX spec.

Don't know if the dutch offer the sports seat with airbags as I didn't want them anyway.

Old 11 February 2001, 10:16 PM
scooby fan
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info everyone!