Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Looking to buy Scooby WRX. Some advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2009, 10:47 PM
Linus27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy Scooby WRX. Some advice please.

Hi all,

We currently own a W Reg Scooby Sportwagon which we love. We have now decided to sell our other car, a Lotus Elise and buy a Scooby WRX from around 2001/2002 which I think is known as the bugeye model.

Am I right in thinking that every WRX of this model is a turbo? Its just that the Parker website says a few different things which does not make it clear.

As a general rule, what is this model like in terms of driveablity and fun factor? I don't think I can afford an STi but I also don't wan't something thats going to be pretty dull and boring, especially coming from a Lotus Elise.

Is there much difference between the WRX and STi in terms of performance, handling, running costs etc? Insurance seems to be about £200 more for the STi.

How easy is it to upgrade this standard WRX model to have a bit more power and handling? I might not need to but just getting all the facts in case.

Does this model of WRX have that classic deep burbling Scooby sound as standard or do I need to upgrade the exhaust? I know a bit sad but you can't help loving that famous Scooby sound.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips and guidance.

Last edited by Linus27; 20 May 2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 20 May 2009, 11:21 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome

The 2001 / 2002 "bugeye" STi is the performance bargain of the decade LOL

Unloved due to the look of the thing, but if cared for has an almost unbreakable engine and drivetrain

The nagging problem was the suspension bushes but usually sorted by now.

Depending on the exhaust it has the usual scooby sound

Shaun

PS nowaday's it is not cost effective to turn a WRX into an STi with mods.........
Old 20 May 2009, 11:29 PM
Linus27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Welcome

The 2001 / 2002 "bugeye" STi is the performance bargain of the decade LOL

Unloved due to the look of the thing, but if cared for has an almost unbreakable engine and drivetrain

The nagging problem was the suspension bushes but usually sorted by now.

Depending on the exhaust it has the usual scooby sound

Shaun

PS nowaday's it is not cost effective to turn a WRX into an STi with mods.........
Hiya,

Thanks for the info. I think my budget is going to be around £6000 max but more likley £5000. I think the STi is going to be just out of my league which is a shame.
Old 20 May 2009, 11:36 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blimey............

With £5000 to spend the world is your oyster in bugeye scoobyland at the moment

Post a new thread with the title...... "£5000 to spend on Bugeye STi" and see what comes up

Shaun
Old 20 May 2009, 11:49 PM
blacrat00
Scooby Regular

Hi i got a sti V2 1996 going still running in, full rodger clarke engine build new clutch etc,,,, if interested, im just looking for a change, as i do high mileage and mines got the short leg RA type gearbox,,, 58900 miles fsh new mot etc, been off the road for 4 years

JJ anyone
Old 21 May 2009, 07:21 AM
scoobyed
Scooby Regular

With 5-6K to spend you should get something really nice. I have just bought two weeks ago a November 2003 registered WRX saloon, am spending around £500 on bits for it but the only necessity was new brakes, it cost me 5K from a dealer and comes with a warranty. You should be able to get an STi on a 2000/20001 for that money. I find the WRX is a nice all round package and have been told you can get much better fuel economy. I would like an STi but just couldnt afford the extra running costs!
Old 21 May 2009, 08:55 AM
Linus27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyed
With 5-6K to spend you should get something really nice. I have just bought two weeks ago a November 2003 registered WRX saloon, am spending around £500 on bits for it but the only necessity was new brakes, it cost me 5K from a dealer and comes with a warranty. You should be able to get an STi on a 2000/20001 for that money. I find the WRX is a nice all round package and have been told you can get much better fuel economy. I would like an STi but just couldnt afford the extra running costs!
Thanks for the help so far everyone.

So is the running costs a lot more on the STi compared to a WRX?
Old 21 May 2009, 12:40 PM
scoobyed
Scooby Regular

The STi does less MPG than a WRX and should any bits go wrong they are potentially more expensive as are some of the service parts ie brakes. B oth models share the same basic workings but i believe the diffs are different and the brakes are different, better suspension etc all of which are more expensive should they need replacing. Mine is used as a family car so better MPG was a major consideration. If i was bying purely as a toy and MPG didnt matter then i would have bought an STi in a flash, they are better and more fun. Its down to your preferences really!!
Old 21 May 2009, 01:08 PM
Linus27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyed
The STi does less MPG than a WRX and should any bits go wrong they are potentially more expensive as are some of the service parts ie brakes. B oth models share the same basic workings but i believe the diffs are different and the brakes are different, better suspension etc all of which are more expensive should they need replacing. Mine is used as a family car so better MPG was a major consideration. If i was bying purely as a toy and MPG didnt matter then i would have bought an STi in a flash, they are better and more fun. Its down to your preferences really!!
Thanks again for the info. I think the WRX is going to be the one. I guess, if I do need a bit more fun, then I can always get a few upgrades. Saying that, I may be happy with the stock WRX and it will be a good base to start from. I'm not really into tuning or upgrading that much. My Lotus Elise is standard apart from the induction kit and sports exhaust and I am happy with that. 0 - 60mph in 5.5 and top speed of 123mph. The WRX is very similar I think with a bit more top end so it should do me fine.

Last edited by Linus27; 21 May 2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 21 May 2009, 02:53 PM
blacrat00
Scooby Regular

Default sti wrk

Dont the sti grey import have same spec diff and brakes as a uk wrx?? my brakes are same as a uk wrk, found that upgarading the wrk was more costly than upgrading sti upwards, you can pic up a good 97 98 sti for around 3000
Old 21 May 2009, 03:21 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I brought a blobeye WRX this weekend and it had been mapped to 283bhp by Scoobyclinic.

The difference in mpg from a standard WRX to a remapped WRX is very small (and in some cases of driving, a mapped car will give you better mpg than a standard car).

I'm really happy with it thus far. It is more comfortable than my old Civic Type-R (which is a little surprising) although I found the clutch pedal quite firm and the gearing isn't as smooth. Coming from the Elise, you'll love the steering in the Scooby as well.

I've just filled the car up with super-unleaded on Monday from Empty and that cost me £47 using Shell Optimax. So it is now a case of driving and seeing how many miles I can get out of it before the fuel light comes on.
Old 21 May 2009, 09:12 PM
55WRX
Scooby Newbie

I bought the WRX rather than the STI because it was cheaper to run. Not just insurance and parts/servicing, but mpg. It averages around 27mpg, once got nearly 35mpg on a trip to Italy on motorways, but can dip below 20mpg if I'm in a hurry to get somewhere. As a road car, it's got ample performance and is great for overtaking and the handling is good. I've done over 25000 miles in the car and it's still fun to drive.
It has about 220bhp, runs on shell v-power, gets an oil change every 5000 miles and a service every 10,000. When used to get from A to B as quickly as possible it is very effective. A bit more torque low down would be useful at times, but you learn to drive around it.

I've often thought of trading it in for the STI purely for the stiffer suspension and bigger brakes, but in reality, I wouldn't get where I was going any quicker, but I'd be spending quite a bit more on fuel - 350 miles a week on twisty roads soon adds up!!
I know a lot of people upgrade the power to way over 300bhp, but in reality, you can't really use the standard WRX's full potential on the road for fear of losing your licence. I think the WRX is a good all round choice, even if the STI is better equipped, higher specced and has more power.

Having said all that, If I wasn't using the car every day I'd go for the STI......
Old 23 May 2009, 08:35 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My old Wagon. Click on the picture.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 23 May 2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 23 May 2009, 08:40 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

As my STI had a 6 speed box, I got more MPG in my STI compared with my WRX (depending how hard I drove the STI...)
Old 04 June 2009, 08:23 PM
Linus27
Scooby Regular

Thanks again for all the help.

I have decided on a WRX Bugeye or Blobeye if money allows mostly because the car will be used as a family car a fair bit with a bit of fun now and again. However, I really would like to get one with the Prodrive Performance Pack which I believe takes it up to 265bhp.

Is the PPP really worth going for and make much difference?

I see other places can do performance packages like Scoobyclinic as mentioned by Cobraman. Is this a better option than the PPP option?

Either way, I need to just find one first

Last edited by Linus27; 04 June 2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05 June 2009, 07:12 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Linus27

Is the PPP really worth going for and make much difference?

I see other places can do performance packages like Scoobyclinic as mentioned by Cobraman. Is this a better option than the PPP option?

Either way, I need to just find one first
Custom remap better. PPP is a generic map that rarely makes the quoted power, really only worth having on a newer car where warranty is an issue.