New Scooby Type R owner

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2009, 11:14 PM
Lando
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Scooby Type R owner

Hi all,

Just bought a Subaru Version 5 Type R, first scooby , love the car, god nos the power its runing - got DE-CAT full S/S exhaust, Bailey DV, and Pipercross Kone filter.

Been doing bits and bobs to her will be posting some before and after pics for all your opinions,

Cheers

Chris
Old 21 May 2009, 07:06 AM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

Good luck with the car You WILL enjoy the Type R!!
What year is it?
Old 21 May 2009, 07:56 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
There are a few issues version 5/6 cars have that you probably need to know about, will post up later some of them, they really need a remap (its highly recommended as big bills will occur without one), so its an idea to have one done if you have not done so yet

Tony
Old 21 May 2009, 01:06 PM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Welcome
There are a few issues version 5/6 cars have that you probably need to know about, will post up later some of them, they really need a remap (its highly recommended as big bills will occur without one), so its an idea to have one done if you have not done so yet

Tony
This is very sound advice.
Old 21 May 2009, 01:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

So where to start....
MAF (Mass airflow) Sensors have a tendency to die, it causes the revs to hunt and can (and does) cause fuelling issues which can lead to terminal problems
Best way to avoid this is to fit a knock link or similar device, not run anything apart from the standard air box (I am converting my HKS mushroom filter back to a standard airbox just now) with a dry air filter as these are also sensitive to oiled filters.
Servicing is essential and a good quality oil is recommended to be used (service intervals are 6 month/7.5k miles) I had a major service done on mine with all the belts, fluids, plugs etc and it came to just under 600 quid which is pretty good just oil changes for the next 2 years now
These maps in the ecu are designed to run 100 ron rated fuel, the closest we have in the UK is V power and Tesco (or BP 102 ron but its twice as expensive and you cant get it anywhere), your car needs this or it will cause engine det and that can also stress other engine parts out, which in turn can lead to terminal engine damage
Maps on these cars (this includes the P1) have a lean spot towards the top end of the rev range (exactly where I am not sure) but with a decat you will enhance the problem if you rag the car around all the time, also engine damage

Now its not all that bad these are the points that cause the problems, a remap can reduce 90% of the issues here, and adding any useful devices like a knocklink or similar which will give you a visible warning of det (some may even give you a verbal/noise warning) it all helps

Tony
Old 21 May 2009, 01:29 PM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

Good post mate...how much would you pay for a knock link, dont know much about them tbh
Old 21 May 2009, 02:03 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

So where to start....
MAF (Mass airflow) Sensors have a tendency to die, it causes the revs to hunt and can (and does) cause fuelling issues which can lead to terminal problems
Best way to avoid this is to fit a knock link or similar device, not run anything apart from the standard air box (I am converting my HKS mushroom filter back to a standard airbox just now) with a dry air filter as these are also sensitive to oiled filters.
Servicing is essential and a good quality oil is recommended to be used (service intervals are 6 month/7.5k miles) I had a major service done on mine with all the belts, fluids, plugs etc and it came to just under 600 quid which is pretty good just oil changes for the next 2 years now
These maps in the ecu are designed to run 100 ron rated fuel, the closest we have in the UK is V power and Tesco (or BP 102 ron but its twice as expensive and you cant get it anywhere), your car needs this or it will cause engine det and that can also stress other engine parts out, which in turn can lead to terminal engine damage
Maps on these cars (this includes the P1) have a lean spot towards the top end of the rev range (exactly where I am not sure) but with a decat you will enhance the problem if you rag the car around all the time, also engine damage

Now its not all that bad these are the points that cause the problems, a remap can reduce 90% of the issues here, and adding any useful devices like a knocklink or similar which will give you a visible warning of det (some may even give you a verbal/noise warning) it all helps

Tony
Tony, I must say you have a wealth of knowledge of/about Impreza's from what I have read, which have been good reading. So thanks.
Old 21 May 2009, 05:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Knocklinks are about 110 quid plus you need a bosch microphone, but there is some other bit of kit flying around which ok is just over twice the price but is meant to be a little more accurate I will find a link

Old group buy on these though I would speak to Bob'5 really (and I shall eventually get round to buying one after all the other bits that I need to do )

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...alyser-gb.html

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 21 May 2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 21 May 2009, 05:32 PM
kingchrissyp
Scooby Regular

When i was swopping my Civic for an Impreza i had quite a few Type r Scoobs offered to me and if it wasn t for the reasons above i d have definately had one But as it s my every day car i had to make sure it would be reliable as i have to have a car on the road for work etc
Good luck with the motor as i say i think the Type R Scoobs are
Old 21 May 2009, 07:25 PM
Lando
Scooby Regular

Great Advice chaps need to find out alittle more about a Knock link system then and looking to get a standard air box to as the kone must be doing nothing apart from helping with heat soak lol any opinions on which map to get and what money i would be looking at

Once again cheers
Old 21 May 2009, 07:30 PM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lando
Great Advice chaps need to find out alittle more about a Knock link system then and looking to get a standard air box to as the kone must be doing nothing apart from helping with heat soak lol any opinions on which map to get and what money i would be looking at

Once again cheers
What year/version Type R do you have? If you're going for a basic Ecutek (which is good enough) you're looking at 550-600 quid from the likes of Andy Forrest or JGM.

Another question for the experts....Is it advisable to run a green panel filter on the V5 type r due to the MAF being particularly sensitive on these? Or better to stick with standard?

Last edited by MK2VTR8VALVE; 21 May 2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 21 May 2009, 07:38 PM
Lando
Scooby Regular

Its 1998 mate - with the coilpack towards the side - heard these were remapable but to get an uprated fuel pump - going on me jols in 4wks so when i get back think im going to book her in for a remap then - heard good things about andy forest - scoobyclinic is just up the road but they quoted me £1100 for a fuel pump and a remap ! so little unsure whether to take it there with that price lol or is that competative not up on my scooby tuning
Old 21 May 2009, 08:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

£1100 for a fuel pump and remap Bob Rawle has a group buy on remaps, 500+ vat i think, fuel pumps about 100 quid.

Tony
Old 21 May 2009, 08:06 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Pumps are only £70 odd quid new! Fitting is a bit of wee wee DIY. And as quoted £550 - 600 for a map.
Old 21 May 2009, 08:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by MK2VTR8VALVE
Another question for the experts....Is it advisable to run a green panel filter on the V5 type r due to the MAF being particularly sensitive on these? Or better to stick with standard?

As long as its a dry filter you should be ok I have gone for the normal air filter with the air box on mine, dont want stupid power, just nice power

Tony
Old 21 May 2009, 09:51 PM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

As long as its a dry filter you should be ok I have gone for the normal air filter with the air box on mine, dont want stupid power, just nice power

Tony

Hmmmm....as far as I can remember it seemed a bit oily when I bought the filter. Might pull it out and stick to standard as I'm sure the gains from a filter are marginal on a near enough standard car.