Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Early Evo or Scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2002, 09:06 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats considered the best dynamic package, early 93 Evo or 93 WRX? Im on the lookout for a Jap car to see me through summer and am looking for either a Pulsar GTiR, Evo, Scooby or an MR2 Turbo. Top of the list is the Evo followed equally by the GTiR and Scooby. The MR2 turbo is a complete outsider as I want 4x4 but if I find a really nice one Ill consider it.

Anyone know what was considered best in its day out of the four?

Bren

Old 04 March 2002, 09:10 AM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I suppose alot of it depends on how you drive.

If you want to power slide round every corner then go for the MR2.

If you want a go-cart that will scare the **** out of you go for the Pulsar.

IMHO the early evos and scoobs are quite similar,I think they are so close it has to be down to personal choice really.

Steve
Old 04 March 2002, 09:31 AM
MyDreamCar
Scooby Regular

The early scooby WRX is 240 bhp, the evo is 250bhp - although the difference is minimal in reality - i think the early evos look a bit crap - before the evo4, whereas the scooby has looked pretty smart all the way through. I reckon youll find most Jap imports are modded in some way - ie exhausts and filters - Scoobies often are. MR2 Turbo is a rapid car - but id give 4wd a go - grip is unreal!. Brother in laws mate imported a pulsar - which is truly awesome but as far as i am aware they are not as reliable as the evo or scooby. Driven with some respect - and a lot of heavy right foot my money went on a scooby in the end - a 95WRX - and im happy with the choice i made!
Old 04 March 2002, 10:35 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

If you're going for evo I would definately try and get and evo II instead of an evo I.

improved suspension, 9bhp extra, nice lightweight wheels, much nicer interior, the list goes on. worth it

(evo 1 1993 (K reg) evo 2 1994 (L reg)). Can supply you with the chassis number ranges for both if you're going for it, as some scoundrels will either knowingly or unknowingly try to sell a 1 as a 2

If you're on a very limited budget you can get some evo1s pretty cheap now, but not the 2. However you gotta wonder why they're soo cheap!

Also, an after market air filter and exhaust will make a big noticeable improvement to the car, so bear that in mind if you test drive a few and some have mods and some don't

[Edited by juan - 3/4/2002 10:56:55 AM]
Old 04 March 2002, 10:37 AM
robin ledger
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I looked at an early Evo once.....

but I couldn't get anyone to quote me for insurance!! They must have a bit of a reputation.
Old 04 March 2002, 10:40 AM
imatrukahs
Scooby Regular

Bren..,you must be getting too old for the RWD...Scooby's are for over 50's,i thought you were younger...LOL.

Nice to reply to a post of yours again...
Old 04 March 2002, 03:15 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Thumbs up

I cant find any Evo 2s, thats the problem Ive found an 18k miles Evo 1 thats got Ohlins suspension, brand new (3 days old) 17s rims with Toyos etc for £6.5k so Im going to see that tonight or tommorrow.

The only Evo 2 Ive found needs a clutch

Insurance isnt a problem, Ive a trade policy.

Old 04 March 2002, 04:08 PM
RalphLauren
Scooby Regular

Here is my Suggestion,

I would steer away from the Evo unless 4 or higher.
They look crap in a kinda over modded Cortina (my opinion).

Scooby for reliability and you can get them for as little as 6K ( even cheaper if you shop around).

Pulsar GTiR my mate has a modded one and he has had few mechanical problems says it is very tail happy as well.

Toyota MR2 is 2 common for me.

I would say it's between and Scooby and GTiR (unless the evo is 4 then it's no contest).
Old 04 March 2002, 04:35 PM
WRX_280
Scooby Regular

If you want a driving challenge get an MR2 Turbo. If you don't wanna challenege stick to the 4WD machines!
Old 04 March 2002, 05:36 PM
RS Pilot
Scooby Newbie

Cool

There's a couple of EVO 1's on the MLR forum for sale - Mine (lightweight RS version) included too if you go back a couple of months but I think I'm keeping her now. Forget about £6500, you'll get a good car for £5500 (that's what I priced mine at) but there is a lot of tatty cars around so don't be put off. I turned down two EVO 2's before getting mine as it is in so much better nick and totally standard.

I intended buying a Scoob and switched to the EVO as it was over £100 cheaper to insure!!

Don't let the comments about the looks put you off, they are very similar to the Scoob - everyone at work thinks I own a Scoob!!

As suggested above, check Tony's buyers guide before viewing.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 04 March 2002, 10:10 PM
Mr_TonyC
Scooby Newbie

Hi Bren,
check out www.lancerregister.com for my buyers guide. Lots of info there.
Of the cars you have picked the Evo is the best. I did try all (except the MR2) and the Evo was the one I picked (my car prior to this was a 1970 Lotus Elan so I was after handling as well as power, I also race a few cars as well)
The Evo has the best chassis balance -as Tiff said on top gear, and as Simon de Sideways mate Rob also said at one of Don palmers wetter the better days. - He stated it was better balanced than his Sti !
The scoob is a slightly easier car to drive as it is less 'dynamic' in its chassis - the Evo needs a bit more skill to get the best from it. No fancy AYC or anything like the new ones.
The 2 is a better car - but the 1 is pretty darn good (I have a 1) - and a few tweeks can improve the 1.
Juan - not sure about your gearbox issue - all the Evo's 1-3 have the same gearbox between GSR and RS. The GSR has short ratios already. I've not yet found any RS version with shorter gears.
Reliability is good (except mine - but thats another story), gearboxes for example are used by the rally boys as stock, including one I know of with 400lb/ft ! try that with a scoob or GTiR.
Biggest issue is with parts. There was only 5000 of each evo 1-3 variant made (including all the rally cars) so you are getting a rare car. Makes it sometimes tough to locate stuff at a reasobale price. But I'm working on that.
Drivers love the Early Evo's. Just about all the guys I know with them are proper drivers and not people who want to be seen in the 'street motor of choice'. The RS chap here for exmaple has 250cc go-kart - Mad !
Full info, including how to not buy a bad egg is on the MLR website.
Keep in touch, let us know if you get the right car

Bren _ just checked your profile.You are in Bradford. Bugger me, I'm in Skipton. If you want we can arrange to meet up. I'll take you out in the Evo 1 so you can see what it is like.
And have a chuckle at Ralph - he's clearly never encountered an early Evo. The Evo will give the scoob and GTiR more than a run for their money. I've been on several events and an Evo 1 will keep up with an Evo 5 or 6 And a porsche 996 has no chance. LOL
Cheerio,

TonyC
MLR

[Edited by Mr_TonyC - 3/4/2002 10:14:06 PM]

[Edited by Mr_TonyC - 3/4/2002 10:16:54 PM]
Old 04 March 2002, 10:37 PM
RS Pilot
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Who say's I'm mad

Old 04 March 2002, 11:34 PM
RichardPON
Scooby Regular

Bren,

Traitor!

Seriously, my dad's got a Pulsar GTiR, and it's quality! Leaves my cossie (310 brake) for dead round the twisties, and looks soooo different!

Reliabilty isn't an issue with them if you keep the boost down, as I believe they run very lean at anything above a bar of boost. Still, it's quick enough.
Old 05 March 2002, 09:46 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

dunno if you got my gearbox issue right

it was a car I went to see a copuple of years back. 5th gear synchro was non-existant and needed replacing. Labour was quoted at 6-800 (big job to drop gearbox etc. and replace part). Thats all. It was a fresh import and the seller had opbviously been stitched slightly as it was bought at auction like normal. He wanted to pass the stitch on and by refusing to budge on high price meant I didn't buy the car thats all. Never had a problem with mine.

Not sure of the reason for reference to ratios? Did both feel similar to me when I tried both

[Edited by juan - 3/5/2002 9:47:55 AM]

[Edited by juan - 3/5/2002 9:49:01 AM]
Old 05 March 2002, 09:55 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Warrender have got a EVO 2 (I think its a 2) - its the one that beat a wrx on some tv program a couple of years back.

Rich.
Old 05 March 2002, 10:58 AM
markquinton
Scooby Newbie

Just a sugguestion but have you considered a later celica gt4 st205?

Quick (239bhp), very very rare, lovely drive, cost 30k when new, amazing handling. U can pick them up for 6.5k Upwards.

Very highly recommended.

Mark
Old 05 March 2002, 11:08 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

good thought Mark.

My mate had one. It was nice. Certainly an alternative.
Old 05 March 2002, 12:03 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Ive been through Tonys buying guide, very very helpful

Its looking bit grim on the Evo front at the moment as I cant seem to find any!! LOL

I considered a GT4 but have never seen any modified ones so am not aware of what can be done to them. I know that GTiRs can be modded to get them into the high twelves fairly easily and that Evos can take 300bhp without breaking a sweat.

Im a bit concerened about pumping £2-3k into a Scooby WRX and yet still struggle to break the 300bhp barrier
Old 05 March 2002, 01:07 PM
Mr_TonyC
Scooby Newbie

Oops, mis-read it Juan. Sorry about that.
Bren - I told you they were rare. LOL

TonyC
Old 03 April 2002, 08:24 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Ive had enough of rwd with my Cossy and want to go 4x4 (unless I find a really sepcial MR2).

I want something that I can tune fairly easily as Im used to 300+bhp without a power sapping 4x4 system. I believe the Evos are 250bhp as standard as opposed to a WRX Scoobys 235ish?

I like the idea of a GTiR because they are so small. They must be fanastic to throw about and dont weigh bugger all, around 1100kg I think. Theres a low milage lightweight version for sale round here for £8k. Its apparently 220kg lighter than standard (aluminium body taking it down to 900 kilos!!! ) and comes with a close ratio g/box. Taps out at 120mph though which might prove annoying, although it will get there exceedingly quickly.

Im just a little wary of reliability issues with the GTiR.

Anyone else got any input?

[Edited by bren - 3/4/2002 9:25:23 AM]
Old 03 April 2002, 09:30 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Yeah thats the other thing, the early Evos look very bland But having said that Im after a driving experience not looks which are low on the list of priorities.

I went out in a Scooby WRX yesterday and was very impressed with the overall package, although it wasnt very quick in a straight line. I like the looks and interior and its an altogether more modern feeling car than the Evo or GTiR.

[Edited by bren - 3/4/2002 10:30:52 AM]
Old 03 April 2002, 09:55 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

didn't have too much trouble getting quotes. will cost more than scooby though I expect.

got to www.lancerregister.com
a chap called Tony has written a comprehensive buying guide for the evos 1-3. Essential reading for you

[Edited by juan - 3/4/2002 10:57:56 AM]
Old 03 April 2002, 03:33 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

getting a clutch done shouldn't be a problem. Its just the cost. would they not knock it off the cost of the motor? When I was shopping a trader tried to flog me an evo 1 with shot 5th gear synchro. Wouldn't knock even a penny off even though sorting it would be the best part of a grand! Needless to say I didn't buy. If you're patient nice ones come along.the one you have found sounds nice. If its got exhaust and induction kit too and is in goo dnick should go pretty well and seems a fair price for a goodun.

Disagree with the overmodded cortina pap too. drop me a line on beanstalk_jack@hotmail.com and I'll send you a pic of mine. They can look pretty tasty

Different strokes for different folks

My list would be
Evo / GTiR
Scoob
MR2

Scoob seems to be a nightmare for attracting robbers and carjackers - see various threads here

Ralph is correct on the Evo 4 comment though. mmm yes please!!!!

[Edited by juan - 3/4/2002 4:34:20 PM]