ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

hillclimbs, racing, motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2009, 09:20 AM
330dan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hillclimbs, racing, motorsport

Has anyone on here done any of the above in their scooby? I recently bought a bike engined kit car and im currently getting it ready to pass all the scrutineering etc to get it hillclimbing. Im also looking to enter the 750mc RGB championship but thatll probably be next year now.

Looking on this forum i was surprised that there was no section on racing issues.

I bought the kit car so that i had a low cost racer that i didnt have too much money in so i could get into motorsport cheaply and learn to become a better driver through it. I still love scoobies so maybe in a few years i'll get one to use for racing and hillclimbs. Thats why i want to know what experiences people have of it.

I was at the last harewood hillclimb near leads and there were a few scoobies and evos doing it. I was talking to a bloke there and what he didnt know about cars wasnt worth knowing. He was saying that the early evo's such as the evo 1 and 2 were much quicker up the circuit than the new ones (and the same with scoobies) and obviously much cheaper. So I might go for a right old classic and get that up to scratch. has anyone done anything like this and how much did you end up spending. Even with the kit car all the expenses keep mounting up and ive not even had a race yet!

Also - anyone know of any scoobynet orgaised trackdays? There are some organised on BMW forums and offer much better value for money.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 23 May 2009, 11:16 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dan,

Cheap and motorsport are not really phrases that go hand in hand.

Get the car sorted and go and have some fun, that would be my first pieace of advice and if you enjoy it then look at the next step from there.

If you want to go racing 'proper' you will need to take your ARDS test to get your race licence then look at the sort of racing you want to do and choose a car to suit, it is IMHO a mistake to buy a car and THEN look at what you can do with it.

The best return you will get for your money in terms of improving your performance will be some decent driver tuition. A gifted driver in a diesel Focus will lap a circuit faster than an average driver in a Scooby or an M3.

The same applies if you do decide to compete in an Impreza, a better driver will make a LOT more diference than lots of money spent on the car.

If you do decide you want to get into real circuit racing I would suggest you consider the Ginetta G20 route.

But as per my first point, most important thing is enjoy it!

Last edited by RobinSherwood; 23 May 2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 23 May 2009, 02:39 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep looking at this subaru cup. Its standard cars to keep costs down and its competative.

I believe a lady of here does it and has posted some vids.

Looks fun.