ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Classics and Bottom Ends

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2009, 11:08 AM
Chris.W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classics and Bottom Ends

Hi, just after a bit of info. I had a classic STi(V3) and the bottom end went. I really want another classic, but Im worried about engine failure. Is the WRX as bad as the STi for blown engines? Also, whats the difference between a classic STi and a classic WRX. Thanks, Chris.
Old 23 May 2009, 11:37 AM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Was your version 3 remapped eg (aftermarket ecu as your can't be re-mapped )as if not i suspect this will have been your problem running too much ignition advance due to the japenesse map and not weak bottom end . You need to find out the cause of failure eg ecu map , failed maff , sticking oil reg on pump , fuel starvation running lean ect , was the car standard or were you running any mods eg boost controller decat ect as these all can lead to engine failure .The subaru engine is not weak if running correct , p1's are known for blowing due to dodgy maff sensors and also the ecu map on these is very close to the jap sti5 too much ignition advance and are recommended to be remapped .

Mark
Old 23 May 2009, 11:39 AM
shaggy6
Scooby Regular

It depends how its driven and how its been maintained. So car on here are going on 100k plus without any bottom end issues. its just luck of the draw to be honest matie, you never know how the car has been treated in the past. With regards to sti and wrk thier pretty much the same appart from some internal changes.. and no doubt someone will correct me the sti has a higher standard power output.
Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 23 May 2009, 12:11 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

my v3 sti gets a pasting, thats also runing a mines ecu from the jap factory and ive been to the ring twice, ok second time not many laps ill admit due to gearbox leak but ive still held it put flat out a fair few times that the bonnet wobbles about and as said its driven hard at a few times,,,,,, still running ok aswell might i add though the fuel presure has been raised a little
Old 23 May 2009, 05:54 PM
Chris.W
Scooby Regular

My car was standard and had just had a full major service