No standard alarm on STI 2006

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2009, 08:04 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No standard alarm on STI 2006

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the 2006 eagle eye is supposed to have an alarm as standard? I know the older cars have sigma alarms etc.
Old 24 May 2009, 08:07 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

hawkeye mate it should have one id have thought
Old 24 May 2009, 08:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If it's a UK spec car then it arrives here without one and is fitted with a Sigma S/M30 and RAC Trackstar (STi only) at the docks by International Motors prior to dispatch to dealers. If it's a JDM spec car then it will only have one if a previous owner(s) here or in Japan, or the importer of the car has fitted one. Similarly, EU (usually Cypriot) imports will only have one if fitted by an owner or importer.

Last edited by corradoboy; 24 May 2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 24 May 2009, 08:11 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

Looks like a JDM as here isnt any refrence to an alarm although not sure where to look for one lol
Old 24 May 2009, 08:20 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

looking at your pics mate its not a Jdm because they have rear wipers as far as i'm aware, but its not a Uk model so maybe an EU import. Not 100% though so don't take my word for it

Nice car though
Old 24 May 2009, 08:22 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

A JDM car will have a 2.0 litre engine instead of 2.5, might have a retro fitted fog light hung off the bumper, and might still have the mounting clips for the Japanese squarer rear number plates. No 'Type UK' badge on the boot lid either, and as said above, a rear wash/wipe.....

...look closely.
Old 24 May 2009, 08:31 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Cheers for all the advise!
Does any of the above sound alarm bells or is a an EU import not a problem?

Trending Topics

Old 24 May 2009, 08:37 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with an EU import, exactly the same car as sold here by dealers, apart from no alarm, tracker, locking wheel nuts, roadside assistance and awkward warranty situation. As long as the price reflects the omitted security products and the car is over 3 years old and thus would be out of warranty anyway, then it's no different to a UK car. As a buyer I'd still use it as a bargaining tool to get the price down further, but I'm a tw@t like that

Oh, some earlier EU cars didn't have the seat side airbags which used to upset insurance companies, but I'm sure that was just bugeyes (01-02).
Old 24 May 2009, 08:40 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

Wish I had known that upfront lol. Warrenty is on the car until December so as long as nothing goes wrong... lol how do I check for the air bags?
There is no alarm then or tracker, £300 for both I suppose isnt the end of the world.
Old 24 May 2009, 08:42 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

There's usually a little tab stitched onto the seat saying 'SRS Airbag' or something similar
Old 24 May 2009, 08:47 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Sooooooooooooooooo many threads so I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out but your pics of the rear don't show the 'Type UK' badge so I'm guessing it's an import - surprised your insurance company didn't pick it up off the registration.
Old 24 May 2009, 08:48 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

Nope, I didnt know anything about it and they have the reg etc.
Old 24 May 2009, 09:00 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

don't know if you mentioned somewhere else matey but did you buy privately or from a dealer? If from the dealer i'd be getting them to fit the alarm etc at their cost for mis selling you an import! Also i would tell your insurance company that its an import, as if the worst where to happen they would look for any excuse not to pay out in my opinion.

Aaron
Old 24 May 2009, 09:04 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

It was a private garage but as you say, I will be on the phone to the insurance on tuesday, hope its not goint to jack it up tomuch! I am haveing a Thatchem CAT 1 fitted and Tracker too
Old 24 May 2009, 09:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

THE AD FOR THE CAR clearly states...
Originally Posted by Rawdon Motors / County Car Sales
UK MODEL NOT IMPORT.....Subaru warranty untill dec 09
I'd be on the phone to a UK dealer (KT Greens in Otley for you I'd guess) to find out the warranty situation (it may well have been adopted by IM, but you need to make sure and have documented proof) and to ascertain if it is indeed a 'UK car', as it certainly doesn't look like one to me. If they have misrepresented the vehicle in any way then you have the right to a full refund or enter into discussions about reimbursing you for any expenses incurred in equipping the car to UK specification. A mate of mine just sold a UK car much like this but with some power mods for about £11k.

Edit - Oooh, just noticed 'alarm and immobilizer' in their ad too and also, lloking at the pics it has AST adjustable coilover suspension fitted. An awesome upgrade over the OE stuff, but make sure the insurance company knows. Worth about £1200 new for that alone

Last edited by corradoboy; 24 May 2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 24 May 2009, 09:14 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

Thats how i read the advert so its not me being a plonker!
I will call Subaru on Tuesday for advice, if they will cover warrenty etc and its down to the alarm etc, I am happy to argue about the cost of the alarm wit hte seller
Old 24 May 2009, 09:20 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

IMHO, they have copied the text from a UK spec car which they or someone else has sold previously, and not bothered to ascertain exactly what spec this car is before posting the ad.

To sum up, you need to argue them down over...

Advertised UK - Definitely EU (might affect insurance and warranty)
Advertised with alarm/immob - None fitted (extra cost, possible insurance trouble)
Warranty until Dec 09 - Questionable
Modifications not listed (AST coilovers) - This could affect insurance (extra cost) and warranty (if applicable)
Foglights - No front fogs fitted (getting picky, but you could argue that they will cost you £400 to fit)

It looks a good car, just not quite what they described or what you expected to buy, and possibly putting you into some questionable situations regarding personal costs and legal obligations regarding warranty cover. Fight your case hard mate.

Last edited by corradoboy; 24 May 2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 24 May 2009, 09:23 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

Your such a help! thanks so much!
whats the AST coil overs?
Any idea of the extra cost for insurance of an import?
Old 24 May 2009, 09:29 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The AST's are high performance replacements for the standard springs and dampers, offering a much firmer ride and adjustment of ride height and damping force. They are superb, I had them on my car. Fully fitted they are about £1200 (although I paid nowhere near that ) and usually fitted along with other suspension upgrades such as stiffer ARB's. They are clearly visible by way of the gold coloured adjuster ***** which can be seen on the strut tops under the bonnet and through the rear window behind the back seats.

Are you based in Leeds ? If you are I might be able to make myself available to view the car and advise if you like.
Old 24 May 2009, 09:34 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

I am in nuneaton lol, I drove to leeds to see the car etc. and yes, my car has those gold adjusters on top of the back seats and on the front struts
Old 24 May 2009, 09:38 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

i pointed this out tu you in earlier posts no tracker euro model and you replied defo uk model
Old 24 May 2009, 09:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Right, so any discussions will probably via telephone. I think I've given you all the armoury you need to fight for some money back, and under the sale of goods act they have definitely misrepresented the car, so you should have a strong bargaining point if it gets nasty. At worst, you will be a few hundred out of pocket for the alarm, might not have a warranty (hopefully you won't need it), and maybe the insurance company won't be too bothered about the import dilemma. On the plus side you have some amazing suspension mods that you didn't know you had. Get in touch with your local Scooby owners group and see if anyone wouldn't mind having a good look around your car to see if there's anything else about the car you (or your insurers) need to know. Keep us updated and we'll help as much as we can. I pass that dealers regularly BTW.
Old 24 May 2009, 09:41 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

That was what the seller told me, the insurance told me from the reg etc, I had no other way of knowing. even Subaru on the phone told me the tracker was not fitted as standard so took it everyone knew more than me. If the insurace have an isue with it, can I not say "Well you had as much details as I did, why should I know its not an import, like you dont?"
Old 24 May 2009, 09:45 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Right, so any discussions will probably via telephone. I think I've given you all the armoury you need to fight for some money back, and under the sale of goods act they have definitely misrepresented the car, so you should have a strong bargaining point if it gets nasty. At worst, you will be a few hundred out of pocket for the alarm, might not have a warranty (hopefully you won't need it), and maybe the insurance company won't be too bothered about the import dilemma. On the plus side you have some amazing suspension mods that you didn't know you had. Get in touch with your local Scooby owners group and see if anyone wouldn't mind having a good look around your car to see if there's anything else about the car you (or your insurers) need to know. Keep us updated and we'll help as much as we can. I pass that dealers regularly BTW.
Your a 100% star! Thanks so much!
If I get to forking out for an alarm, think I will as I want remote boot opening, total Closure and to close alarm. I am an elecy so fitting costs do not apply lol. Like you say, warrenty, shouldnt need it lol but yes, phone calls me thinks. And a suspension upgrade of £1200 carnt be to bad lol
Old 24 May 2009, 09:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Coilover Suspension Kit AST Sportline I Coilover Suspension SUBARU IMPREZA
Old 24 May 2009, 09:49 PM
blacrat00
Scooby Regular

i got hawkeys 2008 has no alarm, mine is spanish

JJ
Old 24 May 2009, 09:49 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

Well theres my first mod, coil overs lol
Old 24 May 2009, 09:54 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Just so you know, the gold ***** on the AST's can be turned fully anti-clockwise to reset them to their softest setting, which is good for 'round town normal use. When I had mine I used to up them by four clicks (1/4 turn clockwise per click) for a wet spirited run, and six clicks for dry weather, returning them to soft for everyday use. If you venture on track, a tight, twisty circuit might see you use up to eight clicks, and a more flowing open circuit anywhere up to the top 12 setting. If you ever lose track of where they're set, just turn them all the way back anti-clockwise and start clicking them up again. Many owners of this set-up drive away from the fitters with them set ate a recommended setting, and then never adjust them. I don't see the point in paying for adjustability and then not using it.

As I said earlier, find out if the other usual suspension mods have been fitted too. At the very least I'd hope there is a stiffer rear anti-roll bar, such as a 24mm Whiteline adjustable.

Last edited by corradoboy; 24 May 2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 24 May 2009, 09:59 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

I will check the clicks tomorrow!.
How do I check the anti rollbar adjustment?
Old 24 May 2009, 10:03 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Get under the back of the car and look at the ends of the ARB. If it has several holes like this....

...then it is adjustable. By changing to hole further from the end it will stiffen the roll resistance by reducing the length of the fulcrum (point of leverage). In simple terms, the holes at the top in the pic are soft, the one at the bottom is hard. Don't jack up the car when adjusting, it needs to not be under tension and it isn't when the car is sat flat.

Quick Reply: No standard alarm on STI 2006