Cheap Motorsport Options

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2009, 09:28 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Motorsport Options

Hi Guys,

Im looking for a cheap motorsport to get into, preferably using a car and a track, and wondered if anyone on here could help me find one.

I have my Impreza which i can no longer get insured on now im in uni due to leaving my dads business which i was insured through so I could use this but am guessing that any motorsports involving such a car arn't cheap to get into.

I study motorsport engineering and am itching to get racing, legally, on a nice safe track. Thanks for any input!

Gaz
Old 12 June 2009, 09:35 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Ty Croes near Aberffraw, driving a stripped out French hatch such as a Clio 16V, Renault 19 16V, an Astra, Golf GTI or similar should get you on the right tracks, please pardon the pun. Once you've mastered the track, consider upping your car to something totally track orientated, A Caterfield, Elise, Exige etc. There's plenty of 1 make series to chose from once you're ready. Ti'n siarad Cymraeg?
Old 12 June 2009, 09:45 PM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Location: Happy that I'm back in a Scooby - but maybe I should have told the wife...!

Nippon Challenge - Media Have a look at this you can definately use your subaru in the subaru cup class. But there would be a fair amount of travelling from where you are.
Old 12 June 2009, 09:46 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Ive been to Ty Croes once, to watch rally cross, not seen it since its make over. Little french cars dont excite me too much, Japanese, German, or Fords would be good but still not sure how much these things cost to get into and running costs of entering a series. I'd love to get the Impreza into a track machine though.

I can speak a little welsh, cant rele spell it though! Not done it since GCSE lol where abouts are you from?

Gaz
Old 12 June 2009, 09:55 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arkwright
Nippon Challenge - Media Have a look at this you can definately use your subaru in the subaru cup class. But there would be a fair amount of travelling from where you are.
That sounds like a pretty cool series I like that! I go to uni in Oxford brookes so can travel from there to a few places. Cheers
Old 12 June 2009, 09:56 PM
t7srt
Scooby Regular

I'm yet to see a cheap form of motorsport but banger racing would be the cheapest if you can call it racing, I've been through karting, stockhatch which are supposed to be shoestring sports but still cost the earth,

Alot of guys do some sprinting which you can do as many or few meetings as you like and range from 60 quid to 100 quid per meeting, All you need is a sprint licence which requires no test, Get addictive though and you end up spending thousands just to keep with the next guy
Old 12 June 2009, 10:03 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by t7srt
I'm yet to see a cheap form of motorsport but banger racing would be the cheapest if you can call it racing, I've been through karting, stockhatch which are supposed to be shoestring sports but still cost the earth,

Alot of guys do some sprinting which you can do as many or few meetings as you like and range from 60 quid to 100 quid per meeting, All you need is a sprint licence which requires no test, Get addictive though and you end up spending thousands just to keep with the next guy
Yea I understand Motorsport isnt going to be cheap as such but I am looking for the cheapest forms. I havent done any Motorsport really and when i got to uni tried for the Karting team, but karting doesnt excite me much and even know I was putting in good lap times I was dismissed as they had their little group that had been doing karting for years and didnt want to know or help anyone else get into it.

I do like the sound of that Nippon series, it means I can use the car on the road and dont have to go over the top with performance. sounds good.

Thanks again for the input.

Gaz

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2009, 10:10 PM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Location: Happy that I'm back in a Scooby - but maybe I should have told the wife...!

Originally Posted by GazJenno
That sounds like a pretty cool series I like that! I go to uni in Oxford brookes so can travel from there to a few places. Cheers
If you e-mail them they are really helpful the subaru cup is a new series this year and currently has around 10-15 drivers. I fancied ago next year but at the moment business is`nt good enough to treat myself.