ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Its been while, some advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2009, 04:22 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its been while, some advice needed

well not had my wrx for over 7 months now foolisly bought a mini cooper s as much fun as it is its completly **** sorry for swearing but no other word springs to mind.
So im looking at px the thing in and getting ether a bug eye sti, or a blob eye wrx ppp or possilby a rx8.
Need to know the price diffrences in insurance on an sti over the wrx,plus whats the performance diffrence between them both and them vs the rx8.
im not to fussed on the stis suspension side of things as it will more than likely get changed any how.
My goals are an sensible 300 bhp so i think more so is it worth getting the older sti over the newer wrx when im going to change so much how much more would it benifit me getting an sti.
Cheers anthony

Last edited by -ant-; 15 June 2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 15 June 2009, 04:49 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2p is. Get the STI isntead of the WRX. Cos youll probably end up spending money to make a WRX sti spec anyway.

last weeked at track my 11 yr old standard sti made mince-meat of a few RX8's.

Go drive a few see what you think. My money would be on the STI tho.
Old 15 June 2009, 04:55 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Buy an STI and a remap will see you make that 300bhp, and the engine will stronger for when you want to go further because you will

The RX8 will cost a lot of money to get to 300bhp because it is normally aspirated, so you'll need extensive engine work, porting etc, or you'll need to add forced induction. Not worth it in my opinion unless you particularly want an RX8 and nothing else will do.

Again, with the WRX to make 300bhp you'll be looking at full exhaust, some decatting and a sports cat, or a full decat, injectors, fuel pump, remap and a bigger turbo, and then when that is not enough more again.

When you add it all up, the STI makes sense financially, and if I could have afforded the STI when I bought mine I would have. If was to replace the WRX, it would be with an STI for all of the above reasons
Old 15 June 2009, 05:17 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

just not sure tbh not keen on the bug lights and im looking at a car with about 60k on the clock for sti from what ive found would a 60 k sti on 02 be better than a 35k wrx 04 engine, the child says get the sti my brain says the wrx as its newer its one owner and 35k on the one i have my eye on.
But future plans would be a 2.5 conversion next year if do get what ever i want just awaiting the misses to pass her test now we are both working, so in that sence the wrx makes more sence to me as the sti engine is the only benifit so far.
Old 15 June 2009, 05:48 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Buy a 2.5 WRX (hawkeye) and save your money in the long run.

Bug-eye STI is THE bargain.... better suspension, brakes, stronger six speed box, trick differentials everywhere, and a nicer interior. 400+ bhp capable motor, just bolt on some bits.

IMHO

dunx
Old 15 June 2009, 06:10 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

god i hate cars somtimes hawk ey would be nice but im impatient, T need to chop this mini asap or im going to burn it and i have to transfer my finance over to.
I might be cheeky and ask them for more lol

Last edited by -ant-; 15 June 2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 15 June 2009, 06:28 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Ask for more and get a hawk, especially if your going for a 2.5 litre conversion anyway. It'll save in the long run
Old 15 June 2009, 07:30 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

You know I am going to stick my neck out and say that I reckon a bug eye STI is going to become one of 'the Imprezas' to own.

It ain't too pretty but with a few choice styling mods it looks purposeful at least. It was also designed and built at a time when Subaru were on a crest of a wave with huge sales (comparitively) and a reputation for excellent reliability so I bet more time and expense was spent on developing the replacement for the iconic classic than was spent on their later models.

Having owned a disastrous MY03 STI and heard of many other owners with repeat niggling probs such as knocking suspension and weak top mounts I do wonder whether the cost cutters got to Subaru around 2003 and the recent spat of engine probs with the 08STI would bear out that something still ain't quite right. Their plummet down the reliability surveys goes some way to reinforcing this.

So I reckon a nice bugeye STI would be the way to go here. Solid platform for modding and probably as bombproof as a modern car can get if treated right.

Last edited by f1_fan; 15 June 2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 15 June 2009, 07:52 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

Other option to the list maybe a type r sti just dont want to be transfering finance to a type r id rather save for it and give the misses the mini. Whatever car i get is going to be my main driver.
Need to have long think about this i think theres to many options, if im going to save to get a type r wich is my preferd impreza i may aswell chop the mini against an rx8 and the best of both worlds the rx would keep me entertained for a few months at least, just more so affraid i might stick it in a ditch if get bored.
Old 16 June 2009, 07:56 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

My '99 UK car was generally faster than RX8s, with the aforementioned choice mods (standard internals). I'm wondering if torque is a bit lacking ?

The Mazda is possibly one of the few cars with worse fuel consumption than the Impreza. They do look nice though - my mum (in her 70s) is looking for a replacement for her ageing Calibra, and I suggested an RX8.
Old 30 June 2009, 09:58 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

Its off for now finance company said i have to wait till ive made 6 payments but then ill have 13k if all goes as planned so im not going to refinance for the same i have now.
Old 01 July 2009, 06:16 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you looked at modding the cooper S?? Lots of stuff out there and much more horsepower to be had with simple mods.
Old 01 July 2009, 05:35 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

yeah getting a lohen 210 kit at the end of the month and hopefully a grs intercooler.