ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Oh dear...

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2009, 10:11 PM
GTW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh dear...

I've had the impreza wrx for around two weeks now, and yes its nice comfy blah blah but jesus is it slow.

Now im not one for street racing or anything of the kind mainly kept to track... but the impreza has been bugging me in the performance dept since buying it.

A mate has a vectra cdti 1.9 remapped and In gear i cant pull away from it, standing start no problems. And again a civic type r he nailed it i was caught off boost but once it finally kicked in the type r was just pulling away. it took a good while to catch and pass him. Now i admit i cant drive the thing properly as i've been into N/A stripped out stuff for years but this thing is just is well just annoying me now.

The car is 100% bogo standard I think it must be a slow un' or im expecting wayyyy too much from it.

Ive also been told they dont like to rev so where is peak power in a standard wrx and at what rpm do they tail off...
Old 26 June 2009, 10:14 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

What year is yours ?

And welcome to the future, a decent re-mapped diesel will hammer an STI if you aren't wide awake.

dunx

P.S. Jamesemt's Seat Ibiza TDi = 400 ft.lb. of torque and 211 bhp, the ONLY way I could beat it is to pray for rain.

P.P.S. Peak at around 6k rpm, and done by 7k rpm, IIRC.
Old 26 June 2009, 10:27 PM
GTW
Scooby Regular

Its a 2003 Blobeye wrx

wheres all the power start? I think it needs a filter, exhaust and a remap. Just to bring it back in line with most other cars on the road.
Old 26 June 2009, 10:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your mate has the 16v 1.9 CDTI then your looking at over 100lb ft of torque more than your car with a decent tuning package so no wonder you cant outpace it
Standard Blob WRX's are also not that quick.

Now if you want quick against a CTR, this is how its done
Set of lights, scoob (white 03 plate wrx looking newage with gold wheels) and young lad pulls up with his girlfriend in his CTR, revs his engine a little to get my attention.
I just look over and look back, let him have his standing start, ill do mine from rolling as im not going to punish the drivetrain (young lad fails to notice the small red lettering along the door saying "Subaru Technica International" and the BIG gold brembo brakes )
Lights change, young lad shoots off, my nice little white scoob takes off gently from the line and then adds power to 1st gear then nice change to 2nd gear (no need to rush these things ) he made about 3 car lenghts over this start, by the end of the 1/2 mile stretch (slight bend at the 1/4 mile point) his car (and he was trying ) was a good 100 yards behind.
Enters motorway with young lad behind (still he as not noticed the little STI or Spec C badges on the rear) and thinking his driving must be to blame tries again, yet again put to shame in gear this time, lets him pass and laughs.

You need over 100bhp more to do that to a CTR

Tony (Spec C 1, CTR 0 but it wasnt really a competition when your car does 0-100 in 11ish seconds).

Last edited by TonyBurns; 26 June 2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 26 June 2009, 11:16 PM
GTW
Scooby Regular

Cheers Tony,

I knew i should of kept saving for a STI. Ah well...
Old 26 June 2009, 11:17 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I HAD to do that going to Morrisons two weeks ago.....

Three Asian lads pull up at the next set of lights wondering why an old bug-eye has just rubbished their (nice, fairly new car).

Tee Hee Hee.

dunx

P.S. Andrew Carr mapped a fellow WYIOC's WRX this week, and it made 310 ft.lb and just shy of 300 bhp. You know you want to....

Last edited by dunx; 26 June 2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 26 June 2009, 11:41 PM
GTW
Scooby Regular

so they can be made pretty quick then? Its just playing..

Im a body lad by trade, and its having a full respray shortly to make it minty mint. After doing that i was thinking about trying to sell it and get an STI. Everybody ive spoken to seems to say the same thing. Dont modify the wrx get an sti instead. But i like to play...

Listen to the Masses or go my own direction...
Old 26 June 2009, 11:57 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

An exhaust, filter and remap will see around 280-290 bhp and about 300lbft. A remap doesn't have to involve ECUTek, contact Andrew Carr above, he does OS mapping at half the price. I do agree, the 2.0 WRX is quite slow as standard.
Old 27 June 2009, 12:20 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All imprezas are slow as standard really. Newages even more so, with the extra weight over classics.
Old 27 June 2009, 10:54 AM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

lol. I think we also need to remember what slow really is. Mt 06 Sti (mapped)is a heck of alot quicker that my old 04 WRX (standard). But I remember when I first got the WRX, straight out of a pug 406 exec (2.0 turbo), and the WRX felt awesome. Its just what you get used to. By no means is a standard WRX a slow car, but it can be alot faster
Old 27 June 2009, 11:25 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GTW
Cheers Tony,

I knew i should of kept saving for a STI. Ah well...
GTW,

Bear in mind Tony's car is no ordinary STI either.

I have owned a standard 03 STI Blobeye and a CTR and there would not be much to choose between them performance wise despite what many will tell you on here about the CTR being gutless.
Old 27 June 2009, 05:17 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

As already said, a full exhaust, filter and remap will give you 280-290bhp and enough to see off most hot hatches. this will cost £1500ish.

Or you could trade up to an STi by putting in an extra £2-3k. Then of course you'll spend a couple of £k making that as good as it should be.

I went for the first option.
Old 27 June 2009, 07:21 PM
GTW
Scooby Regular

cheers Boyos, Well he's getting a full paint to make him minty moo, and then we'll see.

He's all paid for so we'll see what happens