Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

NEW WRXSTi

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2001, 06:13 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering if anyone owns one yet,or even driven one I've seen them advertised now(£31995) and am seriously tempted. However having lost so much money on my STi4 I'm wondering whether I should wait until the prices come down.Anyway I'm rambling,has anyone driven one?If so, how does it compare to the outgoing STi?
Old 13 February 2001, 06:25 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

This looks overpriced to me. The UK model is going to be 30K and come with a full 3yr warranty. It *will* be slower in a straight line than the outgoing one. BUT it'll make up for it with a six speed box and better handling. According to my dealer the new UK STI will only have about 250-260Bhp because of emissions etc so it will be down on a lot of power compared to the jap one.

I'd wait and see what the aftermarket mods/roadtests etc etc are like before ordering one.
Old 13 February 2001, 09:39 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Do you think it will be only 30k considering that the P1 was 32k?Two years on I'm sure Prodrive will put on a significant margin and the car will cost closer to £35K and according to your sources be less powerful.I'snt the BHP you're quoting the same as that for the Jap wrx?
Old 13 February 2001, 09:48 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

...see test in today's Autocar...allegedly 310bhp....they forgot to mention it will only work on SUL though - if you can find it here in the boondocks.....
Old 13 February 2001, 10:02 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Deep,

In Japan the standard WRX is 247BHP, the STI is 276Bhp.

Uk emissions regs etc take the standard WRX down to 215 and a probable 250-260Bhp for the STI. Although they will have input to the UK models i'm told prodrive will continue to concentrate on after market componants and not whole cars.

Prodrive WILL almost certainly do a PPP for both UK WRX and UK STI's which will probably take both cars back to their Jap levels.

Therefore. UK WRX+PPP=23K(ish), UK STI=30K+PPP=32K(ish)

I can't see how the STI can be anymore than that. 35K is nearly new M3 money and Subaru can't think they can compete with an M3 on value for money terms. When the Mk1 was 20 odd K it was a bargain compared to the overpriced M3. Pitching it in the same market as the M3, Rover X-10 extreme(380Bhp), Jag X type, evo 7 etc etc is IMHO silly.

So, in the UK we will pay about an extra 2K on top of the price of the cars to get them 'officially' up the same spec as the jap ones.

Now would be a great time for Prodrive to put us all out of our wild guesswork, especially mine!

Dave, not seen the 310Bhp autocar article. Is this the 'super STI' that mellow yellow was talking about a while back?

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 13 February 2001).]
Old 14 February 2001, 12:04 AM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Cool

I would be very surprised if the UK STi was a prodrive car. I expect this to be a standard car with lower power due to EEC regs. I will also expect prodrive to be involved with alimited edition after the standard car - now this limited edition could be quite a car....if they work on the power/handling etc and not just a face lift.

..R
Old 14 February 2001, 12:44 AM
Rexsticy
Scooby Newbie

I read the Autocar article on the new STi and was a little puzzled by Hendry's claim that the true horsepower is about 310bhp. I'd like to see this proven on a dyno since the car is supposed to produce around 280bhp on 100 ron fuel available in Japan. Since the best fuel in the UK is 97 ron I'd be surprised if 310bhp could be produced even with octane booster added.

Anyway, there's little doubt that the Jap spec GL version of the STI is the car to buy with front LSD and variable cam timing. Handling and brakes are much improved, torque is up, so the extra weight is less of a penalty compared to the standard UK WRX.

If you want one now you'll pay a premium. BTW David Hendry cars offers a 3 year warranty for that 32k price tag.
Old 14 February 2001, 12:47 AM
Hollywood
Scooby Regular

Question

Now that Subaru seem to have decided that us 5 door sorry Sportswagon owners don't want the same type of car as the 4 door crowd, has anyone heard of any plans to produce a 5 door sti, or any other variants?

After owning my 5 door for a while now, I just can't imagine what I would replace it with - don't fancy the standard WRX Sportswagon much...
Old 14 February 2001, 12:53 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

.....Prodrive are already finalising a PPP for the WRX (and that was told to me, direct, by a Prodrive employee....).
Old 14 February 2001, 02:00 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

I thought that the reason that the MY01 WRX Jdm car was 247bhp instead of 215bhp of the UK car, was because the Jdm car has some sort of Varible Valve Timing.

It would be interesting to see what effect the PPP for the Uk WRX would have on the Jdm WRX, if it had any effect on it, at all that is.

Old 14 February 2001, 07:42 AM
legacyb4
Scooby Regular

Thanks to Peter Lyon (auto journalist and a good buddy of mine), a few of us were able to take the new STi up to the local mountains (Hakone, near the base of Mt. Fuji) which has great twisty roads.

A post from one of the members who went reads:

- quote -

Well, went up with Peter and the crew to Hakone Monday morning, it was a
blast!

I think I'd need to get into the WRX STi after driving a stock B4, though -
going from our rather modified B4's into the WRX diluted the feeling
somewhat. When I recall my car in stock condition (shudder) though, it brings
the focus back.

The STi is a blast in stock form, and one of the few cars I could probably
live with as a sports car without modifying. Muffler, links and ECU would
help, but it has an excellent feeling of power, incredible brakes, fantastic
gearbox and superb traction out of the box, along with a large amount of
refinement and solidity that was missing from the previous versions. More
importantly for me, it's got enough acceleration and cornering ability that
I'll have a sore neck quite quickly before I've reached it's limits! Actually
raising those limits would put it very deep into supercar territory.

The main difference between the wrx and the Evo 7 comes down to daily driving
duties. I, with a small family, can live with the wrx as an only car. The Evo
7 is just punishing - fun in small doses, but deadly over a 4 hour drive. It
would be great as a second car, but the wrx just overwhelms the Evo in sheer
liveability. If it was only a little wider, I may even be tempted to switch
from my B4!

[Paul is the author of the website Japan Sports Car which can be found at:
Old 14 February 2001, 01:11 PM
andy oakes
Scooby Regular

Wink

legacyb4 just downloaded those jap sites!! bloody amazing video clips.. just off out to create my own.. not!! cheers mate. andy
Old 14 February 2001, 01:27 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Neil Smalley:
<B>In Japan the standard WRX is 247BHP, the STI is 276Bhp.[/quote]

Neil,
Is 247BHP for the MY01 Japanese WRX? Because the power for the MY00 Japanese WRX was 280.
Old 14 February 2001, 03:31 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I c'ant seem to find the Autocar article some of you are talking about.I'm sure I've got the latest edition which is a special edition about the new X-Type Jag.
Old 14 February 2001, 06:45 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

Deep

think you must have last weeks m8. today i got the new one with the STi on the front cover.

Dave T-S

guy at work has ordered a WRX in blue / black for October delivery (when his current lease expires on his now car) and he's already orderd it with PPP and Prodrive Suspension so i guess its just a case of how much and when these mods are officially available ?

i must say i liked the look of the STi. surely subaru wont import the STi with less power than the P1 and more importantly the Evo 6 (and surely the 7 is going to be 276hp when its gets here later in the year ?)

cheers

steve
Old 14 February 2001, 09:12 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Deep Singh:
<B>I c'ant seem to find the Autocar article some of you are talking about.I'm sure I've got the latest edition which is a special edition about the new X-Type Jag.[/quote]

That's last weeks. Its the issue dated today but out on Tuesdays in some newsagents.

Old 14 February 2001, 10:44 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

Hollywood.......
I seem to remember reading somewhere that STi are breathing on the 5 door too.

(Fellow 5 door owner)