ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

newbie needs help asap please.

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2009, 06:58 PM
sticoalville
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question newbie needs help asap please.

hi there fellow scoobys,im new to this forum but am now on my 4th impreza,this ones a bit different from my others,it a 1993 sri classic by the way will try to get pics spec later,anyway my question is,it has an uprated 4 branch manifold,the problem i got is that its blowing out of the flexi joint where it goes up to the turbo,has anyone got a cure for this or repair idea or is it a new one?also if if it is a new one it looks a right b*****d to take off and fit is it?also if it is a new one anbody on here got one for sale or can recommend one,help needed asap as mrs due to drop anytime and got to get it going.also its got a 3 inch bore straight through exhaust with uprated down pipe but i hate how the exhaust is on an angle coming out and id prefer if it came out straight,do you think thats the way the exhaust is made?got loads of questions to ask as its moddified quiet a bit and ive new to the modifying side.
many thanks gav
Old 30 July 2009, 07:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh the dreadded flexi joint well they suck to start with, you will need to replace it with a decent none flexi type. Be warned that it may cost you more than you expect, you may end up buying a few bits to replace where that crappy flexi pipe was.

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 30 July 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 30 July 2009, 07:10 PM
danog
Scooby Regular

Hi, it sounds like you are going to have to replace it you can get one on ebay for about £80 new. heres a guide to how to fit it.
http://www.scoobymods.com/perrin_upp...669c3c4c8&
its for a newage model but I think it wont be far off.
you might be able to buy just a back box for your exhuast it depends on who manufactured it.
hope this helps.
Old 30 July 2009, 07:16 PM
sticoalville
Scooby Regular

hi have looked on ebay and they are £169 for new set of manifold,but daft question they say they need to know if they are equal headers or un equal?how do i find this out please?as i cannot remove the flex i need a completly new manifold
Old 30 July 2009, 07:19 PM
sticoalville
Scooby Regular

hi thanks for the link but that for the turbo up pipe isnt that what goes from the turbo down to the exhaust?if it isnt then there is no way of putting one on mine as the flex is part of the manifold
Old 30 July 2009, 07:54 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sticoalville
hi have looked on ebay and they are £169 for new set of manifold,but daft question they say they need to know if they are equal headers or un equal?how do i find this out please?as i cannot remove the flex i need a completly new manifold
The link I found below should help you out but the easy way to tell whether you have Unequal length headers or equal lengths is the sound of your Subarus engine. You only get the genuine Subaru Boxer rumble with unequal length headers. Gareth

Equal length vs. Unequal length headers | R U Subaru?
Old 30 July 2009, 08:07 PM
sticoalville
Scooby Regular

definate got un equals then mate,
Old 30 July 2009, 09:19 PM
sticoalville
Scooby Regular

dont know what i got now after looking at that link,im pretty sure the one i got is the one at the top,is that an un equal?
Old 30 July 2009, 09:23 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

keep the angled back box, apparently good for an extra 5-10 bhp
Old 30 July 2009, 09:54 PM
sticoalville
Scooby Regular

was going to go for a roger clark ice tip exhaust
Old 30 July 2009, 10:13 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Forget the picture on that link, if it has the flat four burble then you do have unequal length headers.
If you had equal length headers you will lose that lovely sound that Subaru's are famous for(Ricer sound ). Bit more info on the link below for you

Google Image Result for http://www.scoobytuner.com/graphics/invidia_header.jpg
Old 30 July 2009, 10:51 PM
sticoalville
Scooby Regular

it says in that link for more power then go with the equal headers am pushing 360-380 bhp please advise which one to get
Old 31 July 2009, 12:26 AM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

It's really a matter of preference. I personally would stay with the unequal length headers as I love the burble and you can still get decent power from them. My friends car when done will be pushing 450bhp+ running with stainless steel 2 piece unequal length headers. If you don't mind losing the flat four burble and you really want every single bhp you can get then go for equal length headers.
Old 31 July 2009, 08:35 AM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

No one is going to make the decision for you, there is enought info here already. 360-380bhp, who gave you those figures and what other mods have you already got.

Headers, its simple, look at yours, if all pipes from the cylinders look like they snake around so each port pipe is the same lenght, then they are equal, if not, i.e. longer pipes on side oposite the turbo longer and shorter on turbo side, then unequal.

The link above is nice, but these are a total bas**** to get off, make sure you have a nut removal socket for 14mm at hand just in case. If your are not intrested is saving anything then attack with and grinder and cut pipes. DO NOT CUT NUTS, as these are studs and needed.

Good look, and where gloves or say goodbye to your knuckles

PS, do your research, if yoou are hitting those bhp numbers, then might want to stay away from bellowed, flexi mesh type. They have blown in the past after a short period.

Last edited by Paddi70; 31 July 2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01 August 2009, 07:46 AM
sticoalville
Scooby Regular

well i decided to buy a decent set of headers and the yshould be arriving today,wasnt cheap though,bought a hks set.

to get to the 360-380bhp it maybe more you tell me what you think the bits fitted are

uprated turbo,wastegate actuator,
uprated fuel pump
hks fmic with hard pipe kit
hks mushroom filter
555 injectors
stage 2 map
uprated headers and up-pipe
3 inch turbo downpipe into 3 inch straight through exhaust with 5 inch angled rear box
de cat
uprated head gasket and bolts
electronic boost control
think thats it
am going take to roger clarke motorsport soon for a road session as only figures guest,been told by scoobyworld that my new headers wre minimum 25bhp increase and with my existing exhaust which have found out is hks they reckon im looking another 25-30 with that inc the turbo pipe.
Old 01 August 2009, 04:42 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Only way to tell for definate is to get it on the rollers pal. Sounds like it should be good for well over 300bhp anyway but it's hard to even guess without knowing what "uprated turbo" you have and exactly what was done with the mapping(stage 2 mapping doesn't really mean alot). Would be interesting to know though keep us informed if you can
Old 01 August 2009, 07:53 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Well, the guy you got it from put a lot of effort into it by the sounds of things, but will really depend on the turbu, TD05 16g???

Anyhow, the rolling road will give you the figures, but I would sujest after fitting your new headers take to however did the Tek two remap and have it done again, just to be sure you are getting the best out of all you bits and bobs.

I had original tek two on mine with just after box and panel filter. Then fitted turbo, exhaust etc, had it redone at Zen, and it was a complete different animal

Good luck
Old 01 August 2009, 09:07 PM
sticoalville
Scooby Regular

hi guys fitted headers today arrived at 11.15 had then done by 2pm that removing old one removing downpipe removing up pipe,and re puting it all back together,then i noticed that the centre section has a 2 inch piece of flex there and guess what thats f*****g blowing so am going to take the flex out and weld in a new piece of stainless pipe,sounded better already though,am fitting some lambco temp,boost and volts gauges tomorrow into centre console as carnt get stainless pipe to finish exhaust till monday.
Old 02 August 2009, 01:18 AM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

hi guys fitted headers today arrived at 11.15 had then done by 2pm that removing old one removing downpipe removing up pipe,and re puting it all back together,then i noticed that the centre section has a 2 inch piece of flex there and guess what thats f*****g blowing so am going to take the flex out and weld in a new piece of stainless pipe,sounded better already though,am fitting some lambco temp,boost and volts gauges tomorrow into centre console as carnt get stainless pipe to finish exhaust till monday.
Coming along nicely then
Old 02 August 2009, 08:46 AM
sticoalville
Scooby Regular

yes i just wish that the t**t that had it gefore me had done it properly and not rushed some of the jobs carmt understand it really he spends money and time getting good power out of the engine puts a crap flexi manifold on,the all i can describe is hacks the centre console to bits to fit the boost controler and gauges in,when i took it apart there was bits of wood holding them in the lot a right mess,so i now bought a later type centre consol with the didgital clock at the top and im going to take my time fit the gauges properly and move the boost controler.then put it all back together thats my job for today.
Old 02 August 2009, 02:44 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

yes i just wish that the t**t that had it gefore me had done it properly and not rushed some of the jobs carmt understand it really he spends money and time getting good power out of the engine puts a crap flexi manifold on,the all i can describe is hacks the centre console to bits to fit the boost controler and gauges in,when i took it apart there was bits of wood holding them in the lot a right mess,so i now bought a later type centre consol with the didgital clock at the top and im going to take my time fit the gauges properly and move the boost controler.then put it all back together thats my job for today.
Glad to hear your going to give the car the proper attention it deserves
When I got my car it was a friggin' mystery what the previous owner was thinking He'd put a nice Forge header tank, Apexi induction kit & Blitz cone filter on(these I like) but then put a cheap £5 boost adjuster on & had that set dangerously high, mismatched tyres & put some "STi" stickers on the boot(It's not an STi BTW). I'm treating it much better
Old 02 August 2009, 03:04 PM
sticoalville
Scooby Regular

i dont f*****g believe it,i sorted all the dash out properly today,went out 1and half mile to the local supermarket and the b*****d exhaust blowing luck hell again,got home checked the turbo up-pipe bolts all ok,it had blew the new manifold gasket clean in half,well p****d off now.when i fit new gaskets do you think that i should put some gun gum on also either side?theres no cat on the car so any dropping will blow straight through.
Old 02 August 2009, 03:18 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Hylomar universal blue gasket sealant seems to be recommend a lot as it doesn't set completley and allows a little movement whilst still sealing. Not sure on gun gum, never used it but might do the job. Could be worse...my WRX destroyed 3rd gear a week ago . Back on the road Monday hopefully...cannot wait

Hylomar Universal Blue Gasket Sealant 40g
Old 02 August 2009, 07:21 PM
sticoalville
Scooby Regular

sorry to here that buddy,got mine sorted in the end and ive even done the flex in the middle god ive been a busy boy this weekend,mrs not happy though cause been under car or in car but hey shes quick enough to get in it on go out when it was finally done.

i must be jinxed with this car,the dump valve has all of a sudden stopped working,ive took it out of the silicone hose and it seems to open and shut ok,when i take the tiny pipe off the top of the dump valve its a bailey single port should the tint pipe be sucking air or blowing air?

if its stuck is it ok to use until i get another one?
Old 02 August 2009, 08:22 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure to be honest...I think under normal engine idle it should be at vacuum (so sucking). I don't think much of Bailey DV's to be honest(too cheap to be any good if that makes sense). If you get another one maybe try spending abit more...maybe Blitz or HKS? Do a search on here and there's bound to be loads of discussions and ideas on this. Unfortunately dump valves seem to be like "Marmite"....you either love em' or hate em'.