Electronic boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2009, 01:59 PM
zippyscoob
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic boost controller

Got my car back yesterday from its 1st stage of many in my quest for 450bhp
the car put out 336bhp and 345 ft/lb of torque, but i noticed that the torque drops off almost instantly. I was told that fitting a boost controller would help reduce this and allow higher levels of torque across the rev range due to the better boosting. my question is, is this the case and if so will it be a noticable improvment.
Old 25 August 2009, 04:06 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could put up a pic of the dyno printout it might be helpful & give your current spec. as obviously your internals gearbox etc. are pretty unlikely to take the 450bhp if they're standard.

An Apexi AVC-R boost controller can be set to raise or lower the boost through the rev range to get the power where you want or where its lacking etc.

Taken from aptuning:

The AVC-R is a digital boost controller that allow the user to modify the boost pressure level on turbocharged vehicles. While there are many boost controllers on the market, non of the others include as many features as the AVC-R, period. Despite all of the complex features included the unit, the AVC-R is flexible enough to be used by beginners. Entry level users need only to input a desired boost level and the AVC-R's trademark self learning CPU processor done the rest.

The AVC-R also uses highly durable, fast action solenoid valve to physically control the boost. The valve movement(Boost Duty Cycle) can also be modified. Raising the duty cycle increases boost response, while lowering the duty cycle will delay boost response. This feature allows boost response adjustment for varying turbo sizes. Since larger turbos take longer to spool up(bad low-end response) the duty cycle should be raised under lower RPM's for better response. The opposite should be done for smaller turbo's (excellent low-mid range response, but limited top end power). A'PEX engineers address this issue by including extra menus for RPM based boost control. Drag racers ay want to utilize the Gear based boost control function. Aside from the basic functions above, the AVC-R also has a Start Duty Setting(Allows the boost to momentarily overshoot according to gear).

The AVC-R also includes a Scramble Boost function which allows the user to momentarily raise or lower the boost level at the push of a button. Raising the boost level is commonly used when an extra burst of power is needed*(entering a freeway). This feature can also be used in drag racing. The driver can set the main boost level to a low setting for maximum traction then, once full traction is achieved, the scramble boost can allow the vehicle to boost full power.

*This feature should only be used within the limits of the engine capacity.

Have a look in the for sale section I've got one for sale.
Old 25 August 2009, 04:41 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zippyscoob
Got my car back yesterday from its 1st stage of many in my quest for 450bhp
the car put out 336bhp and 345 ft/lb of torque, but i noticed that the torque drops off almost instantly. I was told that fitting a boost controller would help reduce this and allow higher levels of torque across the rev range due to the better boosting. my question is, is this the case and if so will it be a noticable improvment.
Okay, some things here that don't make sense.

If you're already at the 330bhp-odd area, that implies you've had the car mapped by someone. If you've had your car mapped by someone, there's little point in fitting an outboard "electronic boost controller" (i.e. a device that takes boost control away from the ECU", because it makes mapping more difficult - you've got to muck about in two places rather than one.

So, is it possible that your mapper suggested fitting a different boost control solenoid, a three port one, maybe?
Old 25 August 2009, 06:57 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Er - it was a mapper (Paul Blamire) who recommended that I have an electronic boost controller fitted when we were trying for 400 the first time. I'm told the default two-port boost solenoid and control system struggle at high power.

In my case I got an HKS EVC6:

Slightly more expensive than the AVC-R, but with more options I believe.

M
Old 25 August 2009, 07:35 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My std. ecu JUST copes at 400, but it's at it's upper limits so I'd rather fit a better ecu than pay for a boost controller AND a re-re-map, IMHO.

dunx
Old 25 August 2009, 07:41 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran 400 BHP with the standard MY02 ECU but went for an AVCR to help with boost in the lower gears (gear judge).

More modern OEM ECU's can now do this.

Shaun