Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What to do when someone 'dodgy' is eying up your scoob?

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2009, 07:14 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do when someone 'dodgy' is eying up your scoob?

I was out with the nippers at a local retail park (this was on Fri) when I noticed that two men were eying up the car and having a good old look. I stopped to give my daughter a drink of juice and allowed myself this time to watch them them.

They looked in the windows and had a good look at the back (I assume the nice shiny back end) and then they both stood back casually and chatted.

I walked over and pretended I needed to offload my tiny amount of shopping into the boot.

One of the men then asked me if I was selling the car, and I told him no. He told me how nice it was and that it was a great example and the fact it had leather was unusual.

He then had a chat with me for five minutes or so about me being a woman driver, and that if I wanted to sell it I would have plenty of people willing to 'take it off my hands'.
His friend just stood and watched on bye. He then said nice chatting to you and off the went.

I was thinking the worst at first and I made it very clear that I wasn't leaving the car, but as soon as they got in their car and drove off I went back to my shopping. After I mad sure the Disclock was on.

Was it a lucky escape, or maybe they were just being friendly?
Old 02 September 2009, 07:20 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!

tricky 1.. but i always have people stop and chat to me about the car and bigging it up. part of owning a scoob i thought as its always happend!
Old 02 September 2009, 07:58 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i always get idiots like this goin ,my mate havs one of these and its running 700bhp with nos , what dumpvalve have u got im gonna get an rs turbo and slam it !

its part of the job of having a nice car im afraid
Old 02 September 2009, 08:27 PM
zayd
Scooby Regular

I've owned my WR Blue Blobeye for the last six months and have been asked 3 times if I want to sell it.

I didn't envisage this car getting so much attention on the streets, especially being JAPANESE and especially as I come from driving beemers in the past.
Old 02 September 2009, 08:36 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I suppose I can right it off as someone being genuinely chatty then.
Old 02 September 2009, 08:50 PM
gaz c
Scooby Regular

ide say so yes. its happened to me a few times. a cuple of times ive had joe blogs ask if he can take pics lol.

if your scoobs clean and stands out you will get this attention!
Old 02 September 2009, 08:54 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

if they left sharpish after you arrived you can bet they were dodgy!!

if i'm in range i give my alarm fob an extra press and i get a series of beeps, usually backs them off......
Old 03 September 2009, 12:09 AM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

I've had many instances of people looking round the car and commenting on it being a nice car. Also a few people taking photo's.

But the best has to be having gone to England to buy the car, driving back through Holyhead ferry port I got stopped by customs The Woman then told me she liked the car and only stopped me cos her friend in the office loved Scoobys and could I rev it up for her. I looked round and she was giving me the thumbs up
Old 03 September 2009, 12:17 AM
Mr-Confused
Scooby Regular

No one talks to me about my car...

I turn up with the missus Z4 (sans missus) with the roof down and the girls love it!
Old 03 September 2009, 02:07 AM
robman23
Scooby Regular

I had some blokes knock on my door asking if the car was for sale which i thought was fairly dodgey so I got a clifford alarm fitted. £230 for peace of mind. Well worth it. Why is the world full of pikeys? lol
Old 03 September 2009, 07:58 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Nothing like a bit of paranoia.
Old 03 September 2009, 08:21 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I'd take it as a compliment, perhaps they were just genuine fans? I always have a nosey at cars I like in a car park. I spent a while staring at a GTR a few weeks back, although I did this from inside my car so they didn't think I was 'dodgy'
Old 03 September 2009, 09:27 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Yep, I suppose it is a bit paranoid of me. But nobody bothered staring at the Bora!

I did actually have an incident a few months back where I a 100% sure that it would have bee taken while I was at Shell filling up. I noticed his mate having a look around the car when I was paying and I watched with my hearth thumping.

I am sure the only reason it didn't go was because my toddler and my 3 year old were in the back.
Old 03 September 2009, 09:47 AM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

Impossible to say, I have had lads and kids eyeing my car even though it is an old en, but i think if they were going to nick it it is unlikely that they would stand and talk to you for a few minutes so you could get a good look at them and in a fully public place where I assume CC TV cameras would probably be active (as they are in a lot of car parks).

If you are worried about attracting attention then I am sorry to say you have got the wrong car!

Last edited by Scoobyspanners; 03 September 2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03 September 2009, 09:51 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

IMO - hope they pinch it because you'll get more money from the insurers then selling it on the open market.

Probably a couple of lads liking the car. I wouldn't worry about it. If you got nippers with you arm the alarm. I always did even if it meant it the alarm going off.

Just don't lock yourself out with the engine running and the nipper in her car seat - been there and its not fun
Old 03 September 2009, 09:55 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyspanners

If you are worried about attracting attention then I am sorry to say you have got the wrong car!
It's not really me I am worried about it's the kids. It's a horrible world where you buy a nice car and then have to worry about it being robbed while your kids are in the back.

I could drive a 'normal' family car, but where would the fun have been in that?

Also, as for the geezers at the retail park, they probably only spoke to me because I walked over. They were probably about to leave anyway as they were parked next to me.
Old 03 September 2009, 11:00 AM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

Dont worry about it. They dont know where its parked at night etc. If he knew it was unusual that it had leathers he probably did have a genuine intrest in them.

I can understand where your coming from but honustly you will get used to it. You want to try driving my pick up i had a whole group off hairy bikers round it at petrol station, i was a tad nervouse and im not a small lad!

just make sure its always belled up and 9 times out off 10 it will let you know if some one has the wrong intentions
Old 03 September 2009, 01:49 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pikeywrx

You want to try driving my pick up i had a whole group off hairy bikers round it at petrol station, i was a tad nervouse and im not a small lad!

just make sure its always belled up and 9 times out off 10 it will let you know if some one has the wrong intentions
Cheers for that. I think as I have only had the car for a few months it is going to take time to adjust to that fact that people might look at it!
I get a little embarrassed at the thought of it though. I suppose I should be pleased that I get positive comments, and not people thinking I am knocking about in a right shed.

She is always belled up, and the disc lock secured in place, so not much to worry about I suppose.
Old 03 September 2009, 03:39 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Must be horrible in the UK. I get Germans stopping and talking to me about mine all the time and have never once felt uneasy about it. I have come back to it to find gangs of kids on bikes round it but none of them touched it. It is probably due to 90% of Germans not knowing what it is, also the fact there aren't as many scummy w4nkers here in Germany that will carjack you.
Old 03 September 2009, 07:43 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
i always get idiots like this goin ,my mate havs one of these and its running 700bhp with nos , what dumpvalve have u got im gonna get an rs turbo and slam it !

its part of the job of having a nice car im afraid

I get this occasionally, the last time I had a spotty oik telling me his uncle had a 700BHP STi and it did 0-60 in under 3seconds etc etc.

Then when he asked "What powers that puttin' out then, init"

I explained to him that it was a replica that I have built up over the past few years and its only a 1.5 underneath, as I couldn’t afford the insurance on an STi.
He then started agreeing saying things like, yeah didn't think it was a genuine STi, the spoiler doesn't quiet look right and the arches aren't wide enough to be an STi and it doesn't have fog lights

He praised me on my hard work though as apparently to the untrained eye you wouldn’t be able to tell it apart from a real STi , but a true expert would tell it a mile off

Last edited by Cockney Wideboy; 03 September 2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03 September 2009, 07:43 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Did the same to a fella with a Ferrari F430 Scuderia, I was looking round it with a friend and looking through the windows etc, when the bloke who owned it come over looking a bit scared to say the least, When we got talking and he realised we was just car enthusiasts he seemed to settle a bit, stood there talking to him for 30mins.

Unfortunatly I didnt ask him if he wanted to sell it!!!!
Old 03 September 2009, 08:02 PM
utaka
Scooby Regular

its just the attention a nice clean subaru gets unfortunately hopefully its an enthusiast not a chav finger printing all your windows but onlookers are par for the course, im sure it was nothing to worry about
Old 03 September 2009, 08:37 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Well I am hoping that from now on I will be more at ease. I always bell it up on the petrol station, have done it with all the cars with the kids in. I would rather the kids set the alarm off then the car get robbed with them in it!!

Been to pick up my other half's car today.... a Leon FR..... still prefer my scoob though!
Old 03 September 2009, 09:15 PM
JonnyFresh
Scooby Regular

I once had someone in a car park walk past my car. Then he came back had another look in the window. (I was sat eating at the time). Then he walked up the car park spoke on his phone for a while then came back to my car and looked under it as in got down on his knees and looked under it. So I thought alreeeeet thats enough and went out to ask him "have you dropped summat do you want me to drop it back?" but as I approached he got in his car and drove off. What would he look underneith for? I have been told you can get something that goes through the propshaft to lock it but I think that was only on newage ones. Maybe he was looking for something similar?
I would have shouted and asked him but I was with the wife and didn't want to start anything.
Still bothers me to this day as to what his intentions were.
Old 04 September 2009, 10:05 AM
teemsta
Scooby Newbie

I was actually going to start my own thread on this, as I never realised until lately how much attention my car (about £3k's worth) actually gets.

Ok, so I live in salford which lets face it is not exactly the beverly hills of Manchester but the bit where I live is fine....I think!

Basically I had the Toad AI606 fitted last week and opted for additional perimiter sensors to be fitted. I know these are working correctly as I have tested them by approaching the car via different angles, they only go off if you get close and basically look through the windows.

Since getting these fitted, I have been woken up about 4 times with them going off and during the course of an evening they have also bleeped a couple of times. Both of these occasions I looked through the window to see some kids having a glance, who of course gave me the thumbs up telling me orrrrr nice car mate!

Its probably only a matter of time until someone has a go, but lets hope the alarm acts as a suitale deterant in the meantime!
Old 04 September 2009, 10:15 AM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by teemsta
I was actually going to start my own thread on this, as I never realised until lately how much attention my car (about £3k's worth) actually gets.

Ok, so I live in salford which lets face it is not exactly the beverly hills of Manchester but the bit where I live is fine....I think!

Basically I had the Toad AI606 fitted last week and opted for additional perimiter sensors to be fitted. I know these are working correctly as I have tested them by approaching the car via different angles, they only go off if you get close and basically look through the windows.

Since getting these fitted, I have been woken up about 4 times with them going off and during the course of an evening they have also bleeped a couple of times. Both of these occasions I looked through the window to see some kids having a glance, who of course gave me the thumbs up telling me orrrrr nice car mate!

Its probably only a matter of time until someone has a go, but lets hope the alarm acts as a suitale deterant in the meantime!
I think salfords one off the car crime capitals off uk! i come down with my mate once a week. For some bits and bobs. The one thing salford Should be famous for is its takeaways! the best in UK with out a doubt IMO

Still brave man living there with a scooby fair play to you
Old 04 September 2009, 10:33 AM
teemsta
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by pikeywrx
Still brave man living there with a scooby fair play to you
Brave or Stupid, I'll let you decide....
Old 04 September 2009, 03:32 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
IMO - hope they pinch it because you'll get more money from the insurers then selling it on the open market.
I forgot to add...... Cheeky Sod!!!
Old 04 September 2009, 03:34 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Too many cats around here to have her belled up to that extent teemsta. It would be going off all hours of the night.
Old 04 September 2009, 04:18 PM
Scooby Senior

Nothing wrong with having a scoob in Salford, there are a few of us here and non that I know of have had problems with car crime

Quick Reply: What to do when someone 'dodgy' is eying up your scoob?