Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Ahhh ! car just died - could it be fuel pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2009, 12:31 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahhh ! car just died - could it be fuel pump ?

Started the car at home, was fine, went 2 miles up to the village and parked up, when I came back, started the car and it was idling fine for 30 seconds, then the revs just dropped off and it stalled, and the engine wouldnt re-start.

It felt like it had run out of petrol, but the tank showed an 1/8th of a tank, and no warning light. Managed to blag a fivers worth of petrol from someone nearby just in case the fuel gauge was playing up, but that didn't make any difference.

There's no warning lights on the dash, all electrics and fuses seem to be working fine and I couldn't find any loose collections under the bonnet.

Does it sound like it could be the fuel pump has packed up ? Because I was out in the street I couldn't remove the hose from the filter to see if it was pumping fuel.

Luckily I was only 200 yards up from the local garage, so left the keys with them and they are going to recover it and have a look in the next couple of days, but would like to be able to give them as much info as possible as they don't work on imprezas very often.

How hard / what's the process for changing the fuel pump, and where is the relay / fuse located. ( I did look in the fuses under the bonnet and behind the dash, none seemed to have blown, but there wasnt one marked for the fuel pump ? ) - car is an S reg UK Turbo.

Is there anything else obvious that it could be if not the fuel pump, bearing in mind the car was running fine 5 minutes earlier, and there weren't any explosions / clouds of smoke etc...

Thanks
Mike
Old 03 September 2009, 12:44 PM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

MAF sensor? could be a relay?
Old 03 September 2009, 12:55 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If you need a fuel pump, i just removed a working pump from my newage that you can have for the cost of postage!
Old 03 September 2009, 01:00 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Thanks both - thought it may just be a relay has gone as it seemed a bit odd that it worked fine 10 minutes before, and started fine when I got back to it, then cut out.

Hopefully the garage will get a chance to look at it in the next couple of days so we can find out exactly what the problem is.
Old 03 September 2009, 02:30 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You have PM
Old 03 September 2009, 09:28 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on ???

Dean
Old 04 September 2009, 09:04 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Cant remember to be honest - I don't remember hearing it whirr or hum, but the road was quite busy, and I didn't really think about it being the fuel pump until afterwards !

Its at the garage now, so they should be able to look at it in the next day or so and let me know exactly what the problem is ( hoping its just a relay or the pump and nothing more expensive ! )