ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Spec D on a shoestring...

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2009, 10:35 PM
Speccy D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec D on a shoestring...

Hi, I would love a spec D impreza but they're about 4k outside of my price range and being post 2005 the government pulls your pants down to the tune of £400 plus for road tax annually.

It strikes me I could create a more subtle impreza by buying a 2003/4 UK Sti with ppp, in silver grey, removing the huge rear spoiler (is that easy or are there big holes leftover) and powder coating the wheels silver/grey for a few hundred. Sure it wouldn't have the leather seats but it might attract a smidgeon less attention of the wrong sort. Would this work?? Bizarrely insurance is cheaper for me on an Sti than a remapped newage WRX - go figure.
Old 14 September 2009, 10:38 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some Spec D's are registered before 23.03.06. but tbh this isn't going to help for long.
Old 14 September 2009, 10:39 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Speccy D
...removing the huge rear spoiler (is that easy or are there big holes leftover)
Yes, there are about 12 holes leftover. Will need filling and repainting, or you need to locate a new boot lid...which is just what I'm trying to do at the moment
Old 14 September 2009, 10:58 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

Would this work??

I think it will look nice, go for it, just dont tell people its a spec D when it isnt bud.
Old 14 September 2009, 11:25 PM
Speccy D
Scooby Regular

Don't worry it won't be getting any aftermarket badges spec D or otherwise. Will the boot from a WRX fit if i had one resprayed or is it easier to have the holes filed and painted as suggested?
Old 15 September 2009, 06:33 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry it won't be getting any aftermarket badges spec D or otherwise. Will the boot from a WRX fit if i had one resprayed or is it easier to have the holes filed and painted as suggested?
What badges?
Old 15 September 2009, 09:22 AM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will the boot from a WRX fit if i had one resprayed or is it easier to have the holes filled and painted as suggested?
Yes, it will fit. In my case I need/want a WRX bootlid as the 4 holes of the WRX plank are perfect for my Spec C wing, but in your case you don't need any holes, so would still have filling to do.

IMHO, if you're having 4 filled, you might as well have 12 done, so probably easiest and cheaper to re-use your existing boot lid. I still might do that myself if i can't find a WRX lid in black.
Old 15 September 2009, 11:12 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

As long as you get a 2.5ltr UK hawkeye STI there is nothing stopping you recreating the Spec D as the base car is there. You will need a WRX spoiler, powder coated wheels and additional sound proofing. The ICE can be bought after market and to be honest I wouldn't recommend the SmartNav system on my worst enemy (currently in the process of removing mine).

I'm not sure you can get crystal grey hawkers besides the D, but silver will be close enough.
Old 15 September 2009, 12:14 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

get a black one and be different
Old 15 September 2009, 12:35 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
I'm not sure you can get crystal grey hawkers besides the D, but silver will be close enough.
Mine's crystal grey and would be a great base for a Spec D project
Old 15 September 2009, 12:57 PM
Speccy D
Scooby Regular

Is yours for sale RRH, couldn't see an ad or link in your profile
Old 15 September 2009, 12:59 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Buried on page 4 .. https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...382-376-a.html
Old 15 September 2009, 05:20 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Mikkel;8942531]I wouldn't recommend the SmartNav system on my worst enemy (currently in the process of removing mine).

I total agree with Mikkel the SmartNav is not so smart, It can not even work for more than 6 months with out going wrong Im on my second master unit now after having 2 changed under warranty and now the 3rd one is starting to play up, Oh and now the screen is going on and off

Last edited by greatgonzo; 15 September 2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 15 September 2009, 05:39 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=greatgonzo;8943173]
I wouldn't recommend the SmartNav system on my worst enemy (currently in the process of removing mine).

I total agree with Mikkel the SmartNav is not so smart, It can not even work for more than 6 months with out going wrong Im on my second master unit now after having 2 changed under warranty and now the 3rd one is starting to play up, Oh and now the screen is going on and off
Aye two screens for me under warranty and now my master unit has gone leaving me with no service at all (no tracker, no satnav). They wanted £125 call out plus price of parts (i.e. new system) to repair as out of warranty. Told em to go and jump.

Getting a new tracker this week and then popping to the dealer to replace the bit of the dash where the screen used to be.

I'm no car thief but be warned even with my limited knowledge I could disconnect a smartnav tracker in about 5 minutes. I'll not give away the details obviously, but would recommend all Spec D owners consider replacing this system whether or not it goes wrong.
Old 15 September 2009, 05:52 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Mikkel do you think there will be a hole in the dash when the screen is removed .If so can you let me know the part number and cost of the new piece of dash.
Cheers Gonzo.
Old 15 September 2009, 06:05 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Mikkel do you think there will be a hole in the dash when the screen is removed .If so can you let me know the part number and cost of the new piece of dash.
Cheers Gonzo.
If you remove the holder then yes there is a hole. two actually. A large hole for the screen holder and a small hole for the wire.

I'll know by Friday about the part as having a run up to my local dealers then. Will let you know. It is only the top bit around the blowers that will have holes.

Ideally I'll need a new bottom section for the steering column too to remove the button, but that can wait as not very visible.
Old 15 September 2009, 06:31 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mikkel, I'm going to leave the button in the steering column as its very discreet, Just want to get rid of that bloody screen
Old 15 September 2009, 06:38 PM
Scooby Senior

Never used mine tbh, can't be arsed to take it off atm.

I have played with it once about a year ago, it rang and I had a nice conversation with an operator, but she didn't know the way home from St Albans.
Old 15 September 2009, 06:49 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Never used mine tbh, can't be arsed to take it off atm.

I have played with it once about a year ago, it rang and I had a nice conversation with an operator, but she didn't know the way home from St Albans.

Do you pay to use the tracker tho
Old 15 September 2009, 06:51 PM
Scooby Senior

Lol, you are joking. If my Spec D isn't on the drive covered in spiders web, it's stolen and I don't want it back
Old 15 September 2009, 06:52 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Tracker can still be paid for separately. The screen can be removed with a bit of hassle.

Nick
Old 15 September 2009, 07:14 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

I was going to see how much the tracker saves with my insurance and if its less than the cost of the monthly payments it's going
Do you think the day of nicking Impreza's has gone Theres so many desirable German cars and thing like that about now !
Old 15 September 2009, 07:25 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

You can just pay a tenner a month for the tracker, they don't do a lifetime subscription option. However, it is all just one unit so as a tracker it aint worth paying for if you remove the satnav element. It's crap.

I like to have a good tracker for piece of mind as well as my insurance company. I'd want my car back in most circumstances if stolen and recovered more or less straight away.

I'm not too arsed about sat nav but will buy a Tom Tom or something if needed in future.
Old 15 September 2009, 09:09 PM
Sti spec d
Scooby Regular

One of the first things i did when i got my Spec D was removing the sat nav screen i have re-wired it in to the cubby hole below the CD player and am going to buy a mobile phone holder or something to hold it when i want to use the satnav. I ordered the new panel and it comes complete with vents it worked out at around £115.

Last edited by Sti spec d; 15 September 2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 15 September 2009, 09:23 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sti spec d
One of the first things i did when i got my Spec D was removing the sat nav screen i have re-wired it in to the cubby hole below the CD player and am going to buy a mobile phone holder or something to hold it when i want to use the satnav. I ordered the new panel and it comes complete with vents it worked out at around £115.
Oh err!! Another Spec D comes out of the woodwork and not far from me?

I thought the screen on show would be asking for trouble. The new system has a detachable unit but I was offred £100 as a "special" price to swap
Old 15 September 2009, 09:38 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty

I thought the screen on show would be asking for trouble. The new system has a detachable unit but I was offred £100 as a "special" price to swap
If you're still within your warranty period report a fault with the fixed screen. I got a detachable screen as a free upgrade when they replaced it.

Or you can have mine for £50

Last edited by Mikkel; 15 September 2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 15 September 2009, 09:40 PM
Sti spec d
Scooby Regular

When i got mine from the garage they said dont worry, it is useless to any one if they nick the screen so they will not bother. I didnt want to take the risk of someone smashing me window and ripping the dash apart to give it a go. I got 12 month free subscription when i got the car but when that runs out i will have a look at what else is avaliable.

Last edited by Sti spec d; 15 September 2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 16 September 2009, 06:59 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

The Sat Nav system can be used on a Pay As You Go basis at 80 p a go (I think).
It also has a phone number that people can phone you up on.
Quite usefull if your blue tooth cuts out all the time. Mine does - Error 80 whatever that is?
Old 16 September 2009, 07:21 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Or you can have mine for £50
Thanks for the offer - but I ditched the sat nav service when the 1 year free period stopped and went back to Tomtom.
I did use the PAYG method for about 3 weeks, but realised it was a con - if departing form the planned route or stopping for a while then it would charge you as if starting a new route. I quickly got through £25 and wasn't impressed.

Cster - I've never had any errors like that on the BT radio. It has been excellent.

Nick
Old 18 September 2009, 09:45 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the offer - but I ditched the sat nav service when the 1 year free period stopped and went back to Tomtom.
I did use the PAYG method for about 3 weeks, but realised it was a con - if departing form the planned route or stopping for a while then it would charge you as if starting a new route. I quickly got through £25 and wasn't impressed.

Cster - I've never had any errors like that on the BT radio. It has been excellent.

Nick
My radio is the Pioneer one.
I must say I use the Smartnav about twice a year.
I think they charge you 20 p for every re-route and all you have to do is take a wrong turn or stop for petrol. Maybe better to use it when you are getting near your destination?

Quick Reply: Spec D on a shoestring...