Something missing?

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2009, 09:10 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Something missing?

Subaru : MUST GO Stunning Subaru Impreza Version 5 STI

I can't see the AC pump but the ad says "Ice Cold Air con"?
Old 16 September 2009, 02:33 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before we even get to the A/C issue it's advertised as an STi version 5 when the front foglights and boot badging give it away as a UK Turbo 2000, so it looks like a UK car that has, at best, had an engine swap. If so, the obvious question would be whether the ECU was properly remapped to suit the new one. It's also equally possible that the manifold has been sprayed red and it's really a UK engine, in which case it's even more a case of false advertising.

You're right, no aircon pump. However, the alternator bracket fitted is the cast one that you'd normally see on an aircon car, so seems the pump was there but has been taken off at some point.

Also, it's got one of the standard UK spec black intercoolers with a coat of silver paint on, not a genuine STi IC.

More questions than answers really. If you're interested in this, it'd be worth asking the seller some detailed questions re. exactly what it is he's advertising.
Old 16 September 2009, 03:11 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless i am missing something it explains what it was and now is in the ad?

"My pride and joy started life out as a standard UK turbo. It then was transformed in to a version 5 STI. The engine, gearbox, suspension, interior were all transferred from an STI which had covered 48000 miles. This took place 3 months ago and now can no longer afford to keep it as I want to buy something less juicy. This is my third Subaru now, I would wish to keep it but can no longer. "
Old 16 September 2009, 03:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Noted Paul, the fact remains that it still hasn't been "transformed into a version 5 STi". It's a Turbo 2000 with STi running gear in it - still has the UK spec shell, and would need to be insured as a modified UK car.

Question re. ECU remains too. If it's been properly mapped (doubly relevant given the induction kit) then that's a positive selling point - so why not mention it in the advert? If it's got the correct STi ECU in it, again, that's okay, but it's worth finding out, given that running an STi engine on a UK ECU is not going to be a happy combination.

Blue Dragoon's question about the invisible aircon pump is valid too. If you look closely at the engine bay pic you can see the fresh metal round bolt hole behind the dipstick - so this engine clearly had a pump fitted at some point in the recent past.

If it's running on a standard UK spec ECU, even only for three months, there's no knowing what state the engine is in. Not saying that the car's not worth looking at, more that anyone buying it needs to know what they're getting.
Old 16 September 2009, 04:05 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally agree !
Old 16 September 2009, 07:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another piece of poo for some unfortunate to buy

Tony
Old 16 September 2009, 07:37 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Dealer, name seems to crop up on there all the time ?

Rather buy a straight one.

IMHO

dunx