Le Mans Info

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2001, 04:12 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Getting Married this Year so off to Le Mans for Stag Weekend

So far convoy will be Scoob, TVR Chimera, Audi S4 Estate (for the luggage ), 2 x MX5

I haven't been before so am looking for advice on the best campsites and travel times. because of work commitments for some of the group we'll be on a late friday Ferry which means either attempt to pitch Tents @ 3.00 AM or stopover on the way down.

Will we be able to get into Campsites @ 3.00AM on Staurday mornig - Will there be space left if we don't get there until 11.00

Any other info/Advice gratefully recieved - And yes the TVR will have AA cover

Dean
Old 20 February 2001, 05:09 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Talking

Plenty of info regarding Le Mans on:-
Old 20 February 2001, 05:27 PM
AnthonyR
Scooby Newbie

Have been the last 2 years & always had a top time.

The campsites get relly busy on the Friday and it can be difficult to get a decent space after that, esp. if you have a large group.

Also they get booked up very early, but some of the motorsport ticket people always seem to have lots of tickets

We always stayed at Camping Bleu which has a very good atmosphere but is a long walk from any of the facilities.The TVR club usually go to this site, as do many other Brits

Check out the road next to this site as this is where all the drag racing/wheelspinning action takes place on the night before the race

Travelling down from Calais takes about 4-5 hours if I remember rightly, depending on how much you boot it.

Anthony
Old 20 February 2001, 07:05 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

You can get into the campsites 24hrs a day, so a 3.00 am arrival shouldn't be a problem, earlier you get there the better. Now actually finding your campsite is another matter entirely although signposting has got better in recent years, get a plan of the site before you go, as following the signposts to one of the car parks near your site is often a better bet than trying to find signposts for the campsites.

Top tip is to stop at one of Calais hypermarkets for beer/food on the way down, traffic in LeMans is terrible on Saturday, a beer run can take ages
Old 20 February 2001, 08:20 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Guys !

Paul:

The Calais Hypermarkets for beer were already in the Plan Are they 24 Hr ?

Anthony, How long a walk is a long walk .... 20 Mins - 1hR ? Might have to keep the TVR away from the TVR club - they will all be standing around discussing Exhaust pipes, V8s and the new model - Something I wouldn't dream of doing

Dean
Old 20 February 2001, 08:38 PM
Dee aitch
Scooby Newbie

I've been going to Le Mans for the past 15 years and each year it seems to become more and more popular with the Brits. We arrived mid-morning on the Friday last year and struggled to find adequate space to put up our tents. I would imagine it will be even busier this year as MG are entering a car and all those hairdressers will suddenly become motor racing fans for a weekend. The earlier you can arrive the better. We generally stay in the 'camping bleu' and it is open 24 hours and last year the cost was 100ff per car. Other campsites are available but often a lot of space is pre-booked by various car clubs so you may have to do some research beforehand.

The drive down is generally an adventure that is not to be missed and often allows for some 'good progress' to be made on the French Main roads. You can do Calais to Le Mans in 5 hours and you don't have to go on the auotroutes. A good Hypermarket is the Carrefour just before you get to the town of Le Mans on the righthand side of the road if approaching from the Alencon direction.

Generally most camp sites are about 15-25 minute walks from the main straight and entry to the circuit is about £35 for the weekend which does make our Grand Prix seem a tad expensive.
Old 20 February 2001, 08:39 PM
Dee aitch
Scooby Newbie

I've been going to Le Mans for the past 15 years and each year it seems to become more and more popular with the Brits. We arrived mid-morning on the Friday last year and struggled to find adequate space to put up our tents. I would imagine it will be even busier this year as MG are entering a car and all those hairdressers will suddenly become motor racing fans for a weekend. The earlier you can arrive the better. We generally stay in the 'camping bleu' and it is open 24 hours and last year the cost was 100ff per car. Other campsites are available but often a lot of space is pre-booked by various car clubs so you may have to do some research beforehand.

The drive down is generally an adventure that is not to be missed and often allows for some 'good progress' to be made on the French Main roads. You can do Calais to Le Mans in 5 hours and you don't have to go on the auotroutes. A good Hypermarket is the Carrefour just before you get to the town of Le Mans on the righthand side of the road if approaching from the Alencon direction.

Generally most camp sites are about 15-25 minute walks from the main straight and entry to the circuit is about £35 for the weekend which does make our Grand Prix seem a tad expensive.
Old 20 February 2001, 08:44 PM
P1 Gordon
Scooby Regular

I went for the last time last year, it's well worth it. I'm going again this year and taking my P1. We stayed in the red campsite which is right next to the track and funfair. It's a bit noisy but it's OK after a few crates of beer.
We'll have a TVR in our convoy too and three 'fat boy harley's'.
Old 20 February 2001, 08:45 PM
AnthonyR
Scooby Newbie

Camping Bleu is outside the circuit near the Porsche Curves which means its about 15mins walk from the Start/Finish line which isn't too bad but the toilets and especially the showers are awful.

Personally I would never stand around & have an **** chat about the merits of different cars..........not.
Old 20 February 2001, 09:54 PM
Steve Gibbins
Scooby Regular

Myself and a few others went for the first time last year. Not impressed upon arrival, facilities are very basic, just got tent up in very hot weather and then were told to move it by a French car park attendant.
Nevertheless, once things got going more impressed, hence we are going again this year.
Tickets are already booked with Just Tickets (www.justtickets.co.uk). We also went on the night-time excursion to Arnage and Mulsanne corners, well worth it to see the cars braking to an almost standstill in the dark at Arnage.
I don't know about other campsites, but going by last year at the campsite we were in (interieur musee) you will be lucky to find a space at the time you will be arriving unless you fancy pitching your tents in a gravel trap!!!
This campsite is inside the circuit, close to the Dunlop bridge near the funfair, and close to some decent showers.
Just watch out for the French police on the way there and back, I've heard a few stories of them targetting British cars and handing out pay on the spot fines.
I hope this gives you a little help, if you want to know anymore then mail me.

Steve
Old 20 February 2001, 11:09 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I went last year, It's TOP!! We might be going on a stag do aswell as my brother is getting hitched in July.

Steve, was it you who kicked me in the head at Arnage? We didn't have the foresight to take a tent so we just slept on the floor, not an easy task with a Panoz about! I had my green combat pants on and a dark green coat, not ideal attire for sleeping on grass in the dark as I found when a passer by kicked me in the head, DOH!

Bob