ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advice off the track boys please

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2009, 04:39 PM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice off the track boys please

Due to recently being banned (i was being silly on my bike) And the constant urge to drive. Im really wanting to have ago at a few races i do have a couple off wrxs (partially stripped) and a garage full off parts.

I bought a classic just for this purpose but i have no idea where i start off, I dont want to turn up some where and get in peoples way or look a clown. I know most off us count ourselfs as heros on the road but i know ill be in for a shock when on the track.

I also cant afford (christmas on way) to go and do a expensive course.

also does the car have to be road legal?

And where am i best starting?

Any advice would be great and thank you in advance
Old 04 October 2009, 04:48 PM
Cylon2007
Scooby Regular

For most public trackdays the car doesn't have to be road legal as in taxed and tested but it obviously needs to be of a good standard (arguably better than for road) as you will driving much harder. One issue you may have its that most (not all) circuits want to see your licence before they let you out on track.
Old 04 October 2009, 04:54 PM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

Bugger i didnt think u had to have a license lol
Old 04 October 2009, 05:16 PM
P555SBR
Scooby Regular

there is a way round it which is to get yourslf a race license then you can do track days
Old 04 October 2009, 05:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go carting

Tony
Old 04 October 2009, 05:59 PM
JB1
Scooby Regular

No, you can't do track days if you have a race licence but not a road one. Some place used to let you do that, but nearly all ask for a valid road licence. If you get a race licence you can go to test days, but they are more expensive, and your car will need to comply with MSA/FIA regs to get on.

Have you got an old copy of your licence? Or not sent yours off for having your points added? You can always send off saying you lost yours and then you get a new one with the ban on, but the old one doesn't have it so you can show that to the organisers.

I'm noyt saying you do that though.

On another point, you won't be too slow, or hold anyone up. People who go to track days in race cars and very fast road cars and then get frustrated with people traveling slower than themselves need to get a grip. Track days are for everyone, at all levels and speeds.

Don't worry about where you start off. Just go to a circuit you like the price and location of. Get out with an instructor, and ignore the people who think they are a trackday hero, they generally aren't that great and have a load of bad habits. Learn from an instructor and get the line and technique right, then build from there. It's very impressive watcjhing someone going sideways everywhere and throwing the car about, but it isn't the fastest way round a circuit. Controlled and smooth is best.

Just my 2 pence worth.
Old 04 October 2009, 07:08 PM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

I have got a photo card would this be ok?

Im going to find my nearest or as a frind just pointed out york raceway dont ask for a license (1/4 mile.)

Am i best stripping car out? and too what degree?
Old 04 October 2009, 09:30 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Anything that un-bolts...

LOL

dunx
Old 04 October 2009, 09:42 PM
dilbob
Scooby Regular

lol dunx...

but has said most place ask for your license but im currently facing your situation but not too bad for me has i use my car for sprints. car doesnt have to be tax mot'd but best to have a MOT just so you know a second pair off eyes have looked over your car...

HTH where are you anyway mate?
Old 05 October 2009, 09:38 AM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

Im just outside leeds mate. Car will be tested so you dont need a license for sprints?

And thanks dunx for your help will be bolting all the best bits on and unbolting everything else!

Bit off a deadline tho, But i do enjoy a challange
Old 05 October 2009, 10:56 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dilbob
lol dunx...

but has said most place ask for your license but im currently facing your situation but not too bad for me has i use my car for sprints. car doesnt have to be tax mot'd but best to have a MOT just so you know a second pair off eyes have looked over your car...

HTH where are you anyway mate?
MOST !
Old 05 October 2009, 12:46 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Know how you feel pikeyWRX. Dont worry tho, Most people at track days are all show n no go/all the gear n no idea. Im on my probably 6th/7th track day now, and i still get intimidated when i arrive seeing all the stripped out gaged cars running semi slicks and sponsorship, trailered in etc.. only to find, despite this, im consistently fastest on track.

Best bet if ur worred is to get yourself on a novice day. They are sessioned and are for novices only. they will kick off people too quick. They are also quite cheap and can be booked for half a day or a whole day etc.

Not to put you off them, but this also means youll be on track with some people who havnt got a scooby do. So make sure u keep your distance.

As for car prep. For your first track day, contry to what those with mahoosive budgets say, nothing really needs doing to the car. I wouldnt worry about stripping it either. 20 min with an instructor will save u more time than cutting half the cars weight. Just drive it to the capability of the car.

My brakes didnt hold up very well on my first event (4pots std fluid pads and rotors) However they did last the morning, just a long pedal and not much confident. But it isnt all about breaking hard at the latest point! Get your corner entry and exist speeds right, then worry about getting down to speed faster/later afterwards. So you can have fun and be quick putting up with standard brakes!

Just general mechanical checks, I.e. brake fluid, oil, water etc.

If you want your car to last just treat it with mechanical sympothy. You dont need to redline it just cos its on track. Same with gear changes and braking etc.

Ive only been doing track days since december last year, and its been a rather fast and expensive learning curve. Send me a PM if u wanna chat about it.

Ive yet to take part in any sprints or races despite intending too. Nippon challenged looked good but i dont think i could put up with body damage. Scoobysprint/time attack next year if i can afford it tho!

2 things id def do for ur first day.
Fresh Brake fluid/check pad depth.
20min with an instructor. (really really worth it!)

Last edited by scoobyc; 05 October 2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05 October 2009, 04:41 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

As Scoobyc says the cheapest way to go faster is to have instruction.