ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Maniacs! Long post sorry.

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2001, 11:12 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I thought that having bought a Scooby that I would be a target occasionally of the half-wits that inhabit our roads. However after two days of driving my wifes 1.25 Ford Fiesta I have to say that people treat you far worse in the Fiesta.
I've had a Vectra on the motorway cause me to brake twice to avoid a collision of his own making, by cutting across me at the last gasp, nearly hitting the cones when the lanes went from two to three. I couldn't believe he waited until about 30 feet from the cones until he went for the overtake (obviously hadn't seen them). I thought he was just inept/drunk but I watched as he forced his way in front of other traffic and they flashed and hooted at him. I then passed the same driver 1/2 mile down the road as he waited for his exit. He gave me an obscene gesture which was nice.
Today I was subject to some other maniac in a Peugeot 206 risking life and limb in what would have been a suicidal overtake If I hadn't seen what was going on. Before anyone gets the wrong impression I was driving my wifes car with my wife at my side with my two 3 year old children in it! I am so non aggressive under these circumstances it's ridiculous!
I suppose these half wits assume a Fiesta is being driven by a female or older driver. If the tosser in the Peugeot today had caused an accident I think that he may have been surprised at the sight of an exceptionally angry 6'3" 16 stone bloke approaching his car and it may have caused him such distress as to put his baseball cap on the right way.His Bat faced female friend wouldn't have looked so clever either. Sorry about the rant
Old 21 February 2001, 11:22 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Yes I think people do abuse drivers of Fiesta type vehicles expecting them to be a certain stereotype.
Many years ago my wife had one, some moron on a CB radio (like a mobile phone for the youngsters on the board ) cut us up badly. My wife hooted him and flashed the lights. I couldn't believe it - he stopped his car and stepped out to verbally abuse her and held up traffic. I opened the passenger door and stood up ( only 13.5 stone in those days ) 6'2" and wearing a motorcycle leather jacket shouted at him in a most un-christian manner and things seemed to settle down. It is unbelieveable how some people think theyu own the road!!

Mick
Old 22 February 2001, 09:13 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Talking

talking of stereotypes, a couple of years ago my dad was driving down a road with some parked cars on the other side of the road, i.e. he had the right of way.

The Range Rover coming the otherway decided otherwise, and instead of pulling into a space continued on his route towards my dad.

They met (although did not collide) The other guy with kids and wife on board gesticulated sounded his horn and so forth. My dad (not born in woosy crowborough but south london in the 40's) had my mum (born in North london in the 40's) in the car.

Bugger me if my dad didn't turn off his engine and started reading the paper.

By now chaos is ensuing Mr Range Rover is doing his nut and the traffic queues are growing. Mr Range Rovers wife gets out and tells my dad that Mr Range Rover is very angry my dad politely explains that allthough he (my dad) is not driving a Range Rover he (my dad) still has the right of way.

Apparantley almost 10 minutes later Mr Range Rover backs down and backs up......

Dave
Old 22 February 2001, 09:23 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have similar experiences when I drive my girlfriends Punto. When I am driving the Impreza I very, very rarely get anybody trying to be an idiot and cut me up or attempting stupid overtaking manouvers. When I drive the Punto it is as if I am invisible.
Old 22 February 2001, 09:25 AM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Wink

I drive three cars regularly - my scoob, my wife's Rover 214, and a craggy old Range Rover.

The scoob can accelerate and brake so well there is rarely a problem, but when I drive the Rover 214, the driving world and his wife think they can carve us up at every available opportunity.

But nobody F***s with Range Rover (not even your dad, Dave - lol)

JD

[This message has been edited by JayDee (edited 22 February 2001).]
Old 22 February 2001, 09:34 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Yep!
I borrowed our company Ford Galaxy TDI for a couple of days, I got cut up, beat off the lights and then cut in on and generally felt like a moving target. I get a lot less grief in my Scoob.
My better (so she says) half drives a Puma, she gets more grief from other drivers, male & Female, trying to race her than i do.

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 22 February 2001).]
Old 22 February 2001, 09:47 AM
Alan
Scooby Regular

Always a laugh when I get into my old series land rover. When they see over a tonne of exposed metal coming down the road with the driver fighting the wheel, there is only one place......hide! out of harms way. No I'm not in the same league as the rangie driver!

Old 22 February 2001, 08:00 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

DaveP,

love the story!

mb
Old 22 February 2001, 08:24 PM
Mr555
Scooby Regular

F***er in a Saab comes down the Edinburgh bypass, seen him a few times do the same thing - Two lanes merge into one, solid lined hatched area where outside lane disappears. Arrow on the road well in advance of this pointing to rapidly diminishing lane means nothing to Mr Saab, he goes right down through the hatched area and barges in only when kerb stops him going any further. Solid hatch = must stay out except emergency. Only emergency about him is that he's a f***ing danger to others blood pressure.
Old 22 February 2001, 09:16 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Angry

I don't think people can see my fiesta, that's why I tend to put my lights on at the first hint of darkness arriving, it probably doesn't help that the cars black though!

Bob