ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

dealer prodrive prices

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2001, 08:05 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

as a matter of interest, just how much do dealers make on fitting a ppp to your car?
and if you want prodrive brakes, is there a difference in price between dealers? or are they all standard prodrive prices?
thanks for any advice!
Old 22 February 2001, 09:06 AM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

My dealer told me that the prices are fixed by Prodrive and Subaru UK - so there shouldn't be any difference. But i doubt that very much!!!

James
Old 22 February 2001, 09:14 AM
Gordon Shek
Scooby Regular

Angry

S&S Services in Ayr tried to charge me £78+VAT for adjusting the geometry settings! I thought he was having a laugh but then he said he can do it for £67+VAT. I reckon he just thinks of a weird number and says that's how much it'll cost. I've bought 2 Subarus from him before and has never given me any discount from them. I went to Seditas in Prestwick and it only costed me £30+VAT to adjust the geometry settings. Not much difference eh?

To cut to the point, I do think that they charge what they want - or what they can get away with...............
Old 22 February 2001, 10:37 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Glad I read this, I had asked S&S to adjust my geometry back in December (didn't ask how much ), but they never had time to do it. I think I will just wait until I have to change my tyres again, probably a month or so, and get the bumpsteer mod done.

As for the original question, I was under the impression they all had to charge the same price, but could be wrong.
Old 22 February 2001, 10:47 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spudgun,

I've been looking at the Prodrive upgrades ever since I bought my car back in May 99. Could never really justify spending that amount of money on the stuff I wanted (PPP+suspension).

Yes, there are set prices for all the upgrades. In the past I've been given a look at the dealer-only prices. From memory I think the PPP was approx £2 rrp, but Prodrive charged the dealer £1.2 - £1.4. At the time dealers would be making about £600-£800 profit.

I think Prodrive, just like IM will "encourage" dealers to charge the book price, but doesn't the law stop manufacturers enforcing fixed prices. Sounds very anti-competitive to me.

Stefan
Old 22 February 2001, 11:17 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

When I got the Prodrive light conversion (PIAA driving lights) B+C wanted to charge £400 just for the parts !!!! Got them for half that with Cheam motors, who used the recommended Prodrive prices. Dealers will charge more if they get the chance - well, some dealers anyway.
Old 22 February 2001, 11:23 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Trigger,

From my experience B&C overcharge on everything. On My 7500 mile service they managed to overcharge me by £45. As soon as I queried this it apparently was all a mistake and they refunded the money straight away.

And they charged me for two exhaust trims when only one was needed at the 1000 Mile service (Minor argument with a low tree stump)

I can only recommend that nobody goes to Bell & Colvill as they are rip off merchants.

Well their loss as I am going to Cheam Motors in future..

Oh and if anybody from B&C can actually use a computer and manages to read this I have all receipts and letters of apology from you so you can go and get stuffed. This rant applies to the service department only as Fred from sales seemed a top bloke.

[This message has been edited by JoeyDeacon (edited 22 February 2001).]
Old 22 February 2001, 02:24 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I understand that the geometery checks maybe me different prices, as some places need to outsource the work, and some can do it on site.

As for parts, some dealers will give you a discount, others won't!

I use Cheam Motors for nearly all of my Subaru needs now. The discount is just a way for Jim to get you to buy more!!!

Just my view!
Andy
Old 22 February 2001, 02:44 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

From memory (I saw the price break down once) the dealer markup on the PPP is around £350.
Old 22 February 2001, 07:37 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

so is it worth haggling, say on a ppp?
Old 22 February 2001, 11:29 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Cool

I did and got 10 percent off, not allowed to say where, but those who know me can probably guess