Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
View Poll Results: Has this site gone to pot since IB took over?
Yes
78.86%
No
21.14%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Has this site gone to pot since IB took over?

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2009, 08:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Has this site gone to pot since IB took over?

I'm posting this as a way of getting SOMEONE to look at what's happeningnow and respond. Thanks, anyone
Old 19 November 2009, 08:42 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, and for two reasons. The poor server performance and protection against cyber 'terrorism', but more importantly, the protection of scammers from the scammees. You all know what I mean.

See you when I get back off my ban!
Old 19 November 2009, 08:48 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

It`s too slow to post my `Yes ` vote
Old 19 November 2009, 09:20 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

somehow i think this is going to be a landslide YES
Old 19 November 2009, 09:21 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Difficult to vote yes to the poll, as while the site performance is unquestionably toilet at the moment, it's not as though it didn't have its crummy moments "before"
Old 19 November 2009, 09:24 PM
jaywrxsti
Scooby Regular

yes it takes ages to load a page , then when you want to post cannot find page and reconnect
Old 19 November 2009, 09:54 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

the server thing will get fixed i reckon, i voted No because of the return of the search function for us people that refuse to pay to be on this forum.

Mac
Old 19 November 2009, 10:05 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly, I'm sorry I am not technically minded enough to really be able to answer the questions.

I can only go by my experiences, and I am still having problems getting on/using the site. I get either 'the connection was reset' or it's very slow, it often works if I refresh the page.

I apologise that this doesn't actually help anyone, but I personally don't know what is happening either. I can only assume that IB are still working on this.

I can only ask for you guys to be patient, and I will post up any further information that comes in.
Old 20 November 2009, 12:19 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think IB are responsible really - SN has been getting more jam packed and slower for a couple of years. Why do we need all these seperate forums (53 before you even take into account the sub-forums). I think i could lose 10 without trying. Do we need the photos at the top of the forum when we have a members gallery?
Lets take it back to basics and have a forum without all the crap.
Old 20 November 2009, 08:24 AM
snOOpy86
Scooby Regular

Yes from me as well, i get so frustrated trying to view the site i often give up.
The A-Plan insurance advert at the top of the page is just ****ing redicliously huge and unnecessary.
The amount of sub forums is to much, i mean theres TWO for sale forums.
The home page - Would prefer it if it was more like PF's.
The membership - not only is it more expensive than PF but theres TWO ****ing types - what is the need!?

theres probably more but i really need to do some work!
Old 20 November 2009, 08:35 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

meh, its so so.
It has been frustrating recently as everybody knows and I think that everybody now knows why that's been the case.
However, it has only been frustrating because I've been buying and selling parts and wanted responses and wanted to respond to questions.
Here's the rub; I dont pay the membership so cannot really complain about a free service, had I paid then I may be more pissed at it but can't really say as, well, I dont pay
Old 20 November 2009, 08:57 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

The question could have two parts...

1. Is the speed/access/use of the site worse than before? answer YES.

and/or

2. Is the operation (moderation) of the site worse than before? answer NO.

As I don't pay to use the site I cannot complain about access, downtime, speed - so I voted NO.
Old 20 November 2009, 09:01 AM
snOOpy86
Scooby Regular

But what is the reason you WOULD pay to use the site?
Old 20 November 2009, 09:17 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I paid when I felt that the people running the forum deserved something from me. Now that its full of adverts I wouldn't pay if there was a promise of faster service.

Personally, its been rubbish for a couple of weeks, granted there was all the attack against IB but its still intermittant for me as to whether I can use it or not.

Its by no means a deal breaker for me and I'm happy with SN. Be nice for more new faces and more Subaru related.
Old 20 November 2009, 01:21 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

In my humble opinion it has gone down hill since ex webclown tried to remove any humorous or contraversial posts cos he knew IB were buying up and he wanted all to look family friendly.

Then IB took over and its been over admin'd, over advertised, and had all the fun stuff put in a sub section that has to be paid for???

WHO THE **** PAYS TO POST ON AN INTERNET SITE?

PLus the banhammer doesnt help!
Old 20 November 2009, 10:25 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Who's IB
Old 20 November 2009, 10:32 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
In my humble opinion it has gone down hill since ex webclown tried to remove any humorous or contraversial posts cos he knew IB were buying up and he wanted all to look family friendly.

Then IB took over and its been over admin'd, over advertised, and had all the fun stuff put in a sub section that has to be paid for???

Words, mouth , out of.

End of.
Old 21 November 2009, 11:47 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

As regards site performance, that is disappointing but I am sure it will be sorted. After all, Scoobynet/Internet Brands will be accutely aware of people leaving the site, some migrating to SIDC or 22B. So I am confident in time site performance will improve because if it does not there will be a mass exodus but remember we did have site issues from time to time with the previous ownership.

the protection of scammers from the scammees. You all know what I mean.

I think you have hit it on the head.
Scoobynet has rules. These rules are not applied and they are certainly not applied evenly or consistently.
Posts that are true and factual are sometimes deleted while others are permitted to advertise in a deliberately misleading manner, tell lies and deceive. Any exposure is deleted so I have come to the conclusion that Scoobynet/Internet Brands exists to gather revenue and I have an email from our current Webmaster stating that they provide a facility for Scoobynet members to interact.

We are simply an advertising medium and do not, nor indeed can we, set any form of trading regulations
With an attitude like that from our Webmaster and a complete failure to implement the rules that already exist, this site is an easy mark for scammers and it is no wonder that the scamming on this site is increasing.

I also have a degree of sympathy for the moderators who like Lisa put their time in to run a fair site and they are at the sharp end and I am left wondering how much attention is paid to their observations and input.
Old 21 November 2009, 12:08 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Who's IB
Ian Beale? Itchy *****?
Originally Posted by harvey
As regards site performance, that is disappointing but I am sure it will be sorted. After all, Scoobynet/Internet Brands will be accutely aware of people leaving the site, some migrating to SIDC or 22B. So I am confident in time site performance will improve because if it does not there will be a mass exodus but remember we did have site issues from time to time with the previous ownership.

I think you have hit it on the head.
Scoobynet has rules. These rules are not applied and they are certainly not applied evenly or consistently.
Posts that are true and factual are sometimes deleted while others are permitted to advertise in a deliberately misleading manner, tell lies and deceive. Any exposure is deleted so I have come to the conclusion that Scoobynet/Internet Brands exists to gather revenue and I have an email from our current Webmaster stating that they provide a facility for Scoobynet members to interact.

With an attitude like that from our Webmaster and a complete failure to implement the rules that already exist, this site is an easy mark for scammers and it is no wonder that the scamming on this site is increasing.

I also have a degree of sympathy for the moderators who like Lisa put their time in to run a fair site and they are at the sharp end and I am left wondering how much attention is paid to their observations and input.
Agreed. The mods are unpaid enthusiasts just like me, the only difference being that they are the buffer of all the cr@p that is heading towards IB. They field all the questions about site performance, scams, etc. and the faceless owners just sit there and let the revenue from ads roll in.

Ive not been scammed personally, but I feel the pain of those who are, on a daily basis, trying to get their money back for items not sent, not existing, or in a poor state of repair. Unfortunately, the owners do not feel this pain. Hopefully, after being the victims of cyber terrorism(!) and removing temporarily their ability to make money, they will at least empathize with the small time guys like me and you all who are looking to buy from potential scammers (not that we know it yet). Do something about it or .......well there is nothing we can do, is there? Just do something about it because it is the right thing to do.

As my parting comment, I feel I have to prove myself whenever I sell something, and because of the way scammers are 'protected by a lack of action' I am guilty until I prove myself innocent. I am in the process of selling something now, not via the sale forum, but a chance conv. I have divulged a bit of personal info to make the potential buyer feel more comfortable with the process, but am I being too idealistic in thinking people should trust each other, cemented by draconian action by IB against the scammer, with details being passed to the law when wrongdoing is proven?

This post may drag on, I just took off the safety catch and started typing until the magazine was empty, sorry!

Last edited by Myles; 21 November 2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 21 November 2009, 05:25 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Who's IB
Internet Brands

, Inc. (NASDAQ:INET) is a leading Internet media company that operates community and e-commerce websites in the automotive, careers, health, home, money and business, shopping, and travel and leisure categories. With a flexible and scalable platform, Internet Brands operates a rapidly growing network of websites that offer consumers the ability to share information through extensive online communities and make informed purchasing decisions.

I didn't know the site before IB took over so i can't vote but i'll give my opinion anyway.

The site performance is oftern very poor, slow or unable to log in but that seems to have been only over the last few weeks before that it was fine.

The site is full of some good banter and a lot of people who know there stuff who are always willing to help others, there are some people who just seem to want to start arguements for the sake of it but nowhere is perfect.

Adverts get on my **** would be a better place without them

Last edited by D4VEW557; 21 November 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 21 November 2009, 05:34 PM
scott64
Scooby Regular

i have only been a member for a few weeks but i have seen the standard drop in that short time
Old 21 November 2009, 05:41 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's better/worse than what is was under the old dictatorship of webclown.
Old 21 November 2009, 09:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

mmm, theres a great temptation to turn round and hurl random abuse. But i shall try not to do that.

i've been on the site for many years now and also on other site's. The general view is SN has gone down hill. Scoobynet seems to be the butt of alot of jokes on many other forums, some of which are rather unfair, but some are pretty close to the mark.

theres no doubt scoobynet has become all about business. How to make the most money in the quickest time and this is where the general issue lies. This has seriously compramised the site as whole.

The amount of paying members should mean that servers are easily covered cost wise, while i understand they are prob significan't, theres also alot of sponsers. So the very fundamental thing is the site should be reliable and quick. These two core tech issues just arn't up to par. IB have been unabel to provide a level of service that is acceptable. Scoobynet is at best semi reliable and pretty often just down right slow.

I have never been a paying member and this is exactly the reason why. I don't see the value in paying for a site that i can't use when i want.

If i ran the place then i would be having serious words with the host and if no imediate action taken and solution found, they be gone and replaced with a company that could provide the service they were being paid for.

well thats prob me banned for a while.
Old 21 November 2009, 10:13 PM
Lisawrx

In fairness Tidgy, if you have been here since 2004 or before, and have never paid because of reliability issues (speed etc), then it seems harsh to put it all down to who is in charge now, as that would insinuate that this has been a long standing issue.

I'm not denying there are issues, of which I can't fix, and I have even posted myself to say tell of my issues.

What I would suggest to anyone with problems, is that they pos in the thread in bugs and features, that way problems are all reported in one area, and easier for the guys from IB to see, and the extent of them. Numerous threads/posts in different areas, makes it harder to pick up on.

As most people will know, there have been problems over the last week or so due to cyber attacks (way beyond my understanding), so I can only really say be a bit patient. Maybe reports of problems, coupled with their own tweeks may improve certain problems you guys are having.
Old 21 November 2009, 10:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

There were TWO threads in bugs about the current problems.
Both went without reply for ages. Not acceptable, IMHO.
Old 21 November 2009, 10:20 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
In fairness Tidgy, if you have been here since 2004 or before, and have never paid because of reliability issues (speed etc), then it seems harsh to put it all down to who is in charge now, as that would insinuate that this has been a long standing issue.

I'm not denying there are issues, of which I can't fix, and I have even posted myself to say tell of my issues.

What I would suggest to anyone with problems, is that they pos in the thread in bugs and features, that way problems are all reported in one area, and easier for the guys from IB to see, and the extent of them. Numerous threads/posts in different areas, makes it harder to pick up on.

As most people will know, there have been problems over the last week or so due to cyber attacks (way beyond my understanding), so I can only really say be a bit patient. Maybe reports of problems, coupled with their own tweeks may improve certain problems you guys are having.
tbh i think the mods have had the brunt of the abuse thrown at them for somethign that is way out of there control, so don;t worry i don;t blame you.

how long has IB been in control?
Old 21 November 2009, 10:20 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

big time bo11ocks
Old 21 November 2009, 10:47 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Tidgy
tbh i think the mods have had the brunt of the abuse thrown at them for somethign that is way out of there control, so don;t worry i don;t blame you.

how long has IB been in control?
Since about this time last year.
Old 21 November 2009, 11:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

tbh never found it mega performing, but has def got worse and worse
Old 21 November 2009, 11:06 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

in all the time I have been on and around SN this is the worst by far, and as such I dont come on here half as much as I used to. I pay to be a member here, and frankly if it remains as is, I wont renew.

Quick Reply: Has this site gone to pot since IB took over?