Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is it true the 2.5 engine is weak?

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2009, 10:21 PM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it true the 2.5 engine is weak?

Guys

Just after some info - a customer of ours made a comment about the hawkeye 2.5 engines being weak. Didint really pick up on it but remembered just now

What does/did he mean? Are there probs with this engine? I have 12 months warranty left so would like to know what to watch out for if there are any weakspots

Matt
Old 19 November 2009, 10:36 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

mines fine 37000 miles running 340/400
has not mist a beat
Old 19 November 2009, 10:43 PM
wayno
Scooby Regular

I've heard that the factory head gaskets have had a tendency to let go other than that they are a strong engine
Old 19 November 2009, 10:47 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

piston ringland failure are the biggest problem with them
Old 19 November 2009, 11:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

semi forged pistons (got some fancy name but can;t remember what it is, but its not full forged) and semi closed deck blocks so not mega strong

not sure on limit on istons but high 400's will normal do it for the block
Old 19 November 2009, 11:01 PM
tom g
Scooby Regular

our company hack ,06 wrx 140,000 driven hard regulary serviced ,original clutch, runs 100% and ticks over quiet, like a sewing machine!sweet
Old 19 November 2009, 11:06 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

should add i was talking about sti. iun standard form they will run and run and run, as per post above, by week its normaly ment how hard/far it can be tuned before it self destructs
Old 19 November 2009, 11:07 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't some of the early 08 STI's have issues?
Old 19 November 2009, 11:13 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Didn't some of the early 08 STI's have issues?

thought that turned out to be a map issue didn't it?

wrong map will kill an engine no mater how string you think it is
Old 19 November 2009, 11:13 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
high 400's will normal do it for the block
You want to re-think that statement!
Old 19 November 2009, 11:16 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
i said normaly there are some that self that survive. but i think those that do are more luck than judgment tbh. i've seen lots that when you push them to near 2bar they split the bores, sure one got posted up on here where 3 had gone at once
Old 19 November 2009, 11:17 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Yea, replace 'do it' with 'do it in'

The 2.5 is fine but if your gonna start upping the boost and going for more power and torque you need to look at the engine as they produce a lot of torque. imho.
Old 19 November 2009, 11:32 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

thought that turned out to be a map issue didn't it?

wrong map will kill an engine no mater how string you think it is
was a mapping issue, but they still have a problem even now with the 330's
Old 19 November 2009, 11:34 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

semi forged pistons (got some fancy name but can;t remember what it is, but its not full forged) and semi closed deck blocks so not mega strong

not sure on limit on istons but high 400's will normal do it for the block
Hypereutectic piston is the name for them
Old 19 November 2009, 11:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
Yea, replace 'do it' with 'do it in'

The 2.5 is fine but if your gonna start upping the boost and going for more power and torque you need to look at the engine as they produce a lot of torque. imho.

biggest strength issue is there semi close deck, closed deck blocks are much stronger
Old 19 November 2009, 11:47 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

i said normaly there are some that self that survive. but i think those that do are more luck than judgment tbh. i've seen lots that when you push them to near 2bar they split the bores, sure one got posted up on here where 3 had gone at once
The more and more people I speak to, the more and more the feedback is tied in with DET. I have pushed 2bar and beyond.... no block integrity issues so far. I also run higher compression and still alright so far. Remember, my engine is used harder than most as well.

Don't get me wrong, the OE casing is flawed to a degree, but I think a lot of stuff that happens is down to other issues and then it becomes gospel according to ScoobyNet. Some people said to me that 500bhp (If I could ever achieve it on a standard casing lol), would mash my liners up in minutes...... I have had a fair few road minutes, track events, competition events so far and over 2yrs have passed.

Maybe it will let go at some point, but imo they are not weak at 500-550bhp if built and mapped right.

Last edited by Shaun; 19 November 2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 19 November 2009, 11:49 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
was a mapping issue, but they still have a problem even now with the 330's
Originally Posted by rob84
Hypereutectic piston is the name for them

ahhh thats the badgers ring hole
Old 20 November 2009, 12:06 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The more and more people I speak to, the more and more the feedback is tied in with DET. I have pushed 2bar and beyond.... no block integrity issues so far. I also run higher compression and still alright so far. Remember, my engine is used harder than most as well.

Don't get me wrong, the OE casing is flawed to a degree, but I think a lot of stuff that happens is down to other issues and then it becomes gospel according to ScoobyNet. Some people said to me that 500bhp (If I could ever achieve it on a standard casing lol), would mash my liners up in minutes...... I have had a fair few road minutes, track events, competition events so far and over 2yrs have passed.

Maybe it will let go at some point, but imo they are not weak at 500-550bhp if built and mapped right.
How many miles has that done now Shaun?

As for the OP (Off Your Marks); They are only "weak" if you mess with it (and don't do your homework). Seeing as yours has warranty, I guess its probably standard, keep it that way and it will probably last forever (am I starting to sound like Pete? )

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 November 2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 20 November 2009, 12:18 AM
aamtheman
Scooby Regular

I have an 2006 STI PPP 2.5L, and one of the bearings failed under warranty. Needed nearly everything new, short block, turbo, headers, etc.
Old 20 November 2009, 12:19 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

i think the general issue with scoobs is the manufacturing is pretty poor. lets face it, we all love them, but they arn't exactly the build quality of alot of high performance cars out there hence the cheap price. you get some that are way way above spec and some that are very very close to tollerance. if your unlucky and get a close one then you push it and o dear. but unless you can afford to pay for a rebuild due to the risk involved then supose it begs the question of how far do you go.

i would put money on if you took 100 scoob engines and put 500bhp through them using exactly the same spec you'd get 60% survival rate.

if you did the same with say ferrari engines you'd be lucky to get one failure.

but if you;ve ever sen ferarri engines made (not saying you havn't) you;d prob be amazed what they do to them, including xray testing for defects, which if any are found they send them back and melt them downa dn start again

so going back to the origional point, to stay on the safe side of that risk you need to set a level at which you know that 99% be fine and i think 500 is too high for that.
Old 20 November 2009, 12:21 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
(am I starting to sound like Pete? )

yes you are pete,,,,,,, pmsl
Old 20 November 2009, 12:54 AM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

head gaskets went on my 2.5
Old 20 November 2009, 06:20 AM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

thanks a lot guys

i guess i'm pretty safe with mine then - its a gb270 wagon so only putting out 270PS.

I was just curious really and wanted to check things over whilst in warranty if they had any major flaws that lead to certain failure

Ive no intention to modify it but if i did then 300 - 340 would be more than enough i guess
Old 20 November 2009, 07:49 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

We have built a number of 2.5's running around 600 bhp with no failures. As Shaun says, it ain't the block that's the problem!
Old 20 November 2009, 08:19 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
We have built a number of 2.5's running around 600 bhp with no failures. As Shaun says, it ain't the block that's the problem!

saying you've not had any failures isn't exactly true is it, or are you meaning block failures themselves?
Old 20 November 2009, 08:27 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Shaun:
Are you stating for the record that yours is a completely standard block that hasn't been modified in any way?
If so thats an awesome acheivement (and I really ought to revisit your stripdown thread on 22b)

The blocks are considerably stronger than first thought and scoobynet mythology would have you believe

Last edited by Peanuts; 20 November 2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 20 November 2009, 09:56 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Ali-B,
Circa 15k miles.

Tidgy,
I have not seen any evidence to suggest that cylinders have just split, that has had nothing to do with DET or another "issue". If you are building an engine at this level using an OE case, you would be stupid not to measure and check everything you can. But that is the difference between a good engine build and a bad one.

At this level NOTHING is 99% reliable, regardless of what some people will make us believe.

Peanuts,
The block case is totally OE apart from a change in the block deck height. No strengthening or anything else. It's a standard 257 case.
Old 20 November 2009, 12:08 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think the general issue with scoobs is the manufacturing is pretty poor
Totally disagree with this statement. I'm running 415bhp/380lb/ft through a totally standard engine internals 03 UK STI. The engine has covered nearly 80,000 miles - over 45,000 of them at close to or above 400bhp. Even now, the engine burns almost no oil, the compression is great and the valve clearances (checked last week) are still spot on. Moreover, I've not had one single mechanical problem with any of the OEM components on this car. OK, the car is serviced every 4000-5000 miles instead of 9,000 but it still speaks volumes for the mechanical integrity of the car. As others have said here, mapping is key and I'm convinced that Zen's mapping has been part of the reason why the engine is still running so well.

Last edited by lunar tick; 20 November 2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 20 November 2009, 12:18 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Blocks = fine

Piston ringlands = utter ****.

Head gaskets = as per usual subaru performance
Old 20 November 2009, 12:34 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

My 2006 2.5 STi did the head gaskets in standard trim.

Quick Reply: Is it true the 2.5 engine is weak?