ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Shell Drivers Club Bonus points

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2009, 12:41 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Shell Drivers Club Bonus points

What a scam! Sure, you fill up, you get points, and every few months I get some money off and extra bonus points if I fill up 3 times before the end of the shown month. But what is the point of reward points if they don't count for anything?

Sure, I used to get up to £5 a quarter off from the bonus points I totted up, not much, but every little helps. Things is they changed the criteria you need to get the bonus points.

Last time it was a minimum of 4 fills to get the bonus points. Right ok, I'll just not bother brimming the tank now (minimum fill 35litres).

Today I've had some vouchers come through and its 2 fill ups of V-POWER! Erm sod that, 95Ron is £1.05, my car can runs perfectly fine on it, I be damned if if I'm going pay anymore for overpriced petrol with a shot of octane booster just to get some extra sodding bonus points.

So screw it, I'm switching to Tescos (The one by me is Esso, actually), I get reward points, and it combines with my shopping, plus the fuel is the same price. I only used Shell because it was a quieter petrol station where I don't get stuck at a pump because some twerp infront is inside the shop doing a weekly shop. I'll just have to do my fill ups at midnight when its quiet.

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 November 2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 21 November 2009, 12:53 AM
JonnyUK1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the shell card last week, the guy in the garage said i get money off coupons so i thought why the hell not but tbh i only filled there as i'd just collected the car from the garage and that shell happened to be the nearest.

I always fill up at tescos, it's usually 1 or 2 pence cheaper than shell and like you say you get mucho clubcard points which is what, £10 of free shopping every few months or so depending on how much you spend.

Also every now and then Tescos give you a 5p off a litre coupon when you've done your shopping if you spend over £50
Old 21 November 2009, 12:54 AM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

I have a V-Power card and in the space of two years I've only had two lousy statements with two Argos vouchers?!

How often do you guys get statements, I thought it was quarterly or something. A Joke!
Old 21 November 2009, 09:01 AM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tight wads, all my V-power spending goes to McMillan Cancer Research or the nurses, I forget which exactly.

Helped by the fact I have a fuel card for Shell for my work van. That only runs on V-power diesel.
Old 21 November 2009, 10:04 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ive never received a statment
Old 21 November 2009, 10:28 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I think I get my statement every quarter. Although it does seem to be a bit random.

But every time I recieved one, the criteria to earn bonus points gets stricter and stricter. No I don't get any if I buy 95Ron or normal diesel. I know its not much of a saving, but £5 is almost a gallon of fuel which will get me another 25miles, or two comutes to work and back.

Think I might switch them to airmiles rewards instead instead if cash. I already collect them with my credit card, so I "should" be able to add them all together (in theory, unless there is a small print clause).
Old 21 November 2009, 10:51 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

I also took out a Shell City Master Card which I got a lot of money off as both myself and my partner use it for fuel and shopping, the B@stards went and changed the points from 3 points for every litre of V-Power to just 1 point, so I think I will revert back to My Tescos Credit Card and it will be City Cards loss.
Old 21 November 2009, 10:55 AM
dugy3901
Scooby Newbie

Texaco do quite a good one too with their star rewards. You get a £10 voucher for every thousand points you earn. Thats for anything you buy in the shop too aswell as fuel. They are for high street stores and one of them is M & S, so posh scoff for free! They even have certain months where you get treble points on your fuel.
Old 21 November 2009, 11:00 AM
addison
Scooby Regular

but at the end of the day V-power rocks!!
Old 21 November 2009, 11:40 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

V-power only rocks if you "need" it. I don't, except for the Jag which does about 500miles a year, of which I use octane booster anyway (as for some reason, it doesn't like V-power, maybe it burns slower than 4 star leaded? ).

I remember the Texaco rewards; I used to a have a company fuel card and collected the points. Over the years I got quite a few toys from them over the years; Microwave, £100 of Debenhams vouchers and and another £100 of Argos vouchers. Happy days Bet you can't get anything near that with reward points these days.
Old 21 November 2009, 12:12 PM
miss_scooby
Scooby Regular

did you know that tescos, sainsburys, asda, any supermarket fuel will give you less mpg as more air is added into their pumps when fueling, when i worked at landrover we tested this theory and me and a collegue drove to the same place 350 miles away using the sames cars. 2 range rover sports v6, drove the same all the way there, bascially behind each other, difference being i fillled up at the shell garage and he filled up at asda, where i am in ipswich suffolk they are the same price as they are 1/2 mile apart. he had to put more fuel in 85 miles before i did, explain that??? but im vpower and normal unleaded with boost in my scooby x
Old 21 November 2009, 06:07 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

LOL I just found this thread on google!

Does anyone know how many points you need to say get £5 off voucher or £10 off voucher for fuel as I can't find the info out ??

I use alot of V Power for the Subaru BUT Being a VIP Driver for the MOD I am always filling up each day but with Diesel and sometimes V Power Diesel so my fuel is mixed so to speak!

In the last 2 weeks and after restringing my Shell Drives Club Card I have totted up 940 Points, Ive just checked on there website on my account.

So how does all this crap work then ?

I am finding alot of negative reports about Shell!

Shell Drivers Club Bonus Points Vouchers: Motoring Discussion forum
Old 21 November 2009, 06:12 PM
mystery_machine
Scooby Regular

I haven't had a problem with my shell club card and now I have been promoted to the shell Vpower club card (Just had trouble with the actual shell garage that was shut for a refurb about a month ago, and the next closest is a 60 mile round trip lol)

The information on how it works can be found Here

Last edited by mystery_machine; 21 November 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 21 November 2009, 06:15 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mystery_machine
I haven't had a problem with my shell club card and now I have been promoted to the shell Vpower club card (Just had trouble with the actual shell garage that was shut for a refurb about a month ago, and the next closest is a 60 mile round trip lol)

The information on how it works can be found Here

But it don't say how many points your need to get £5 or £10 money off fuel vouchers?
Old 21 November 2009, 08:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter
LOL I just found this thread on google!

Does anyone know how many points you need to say get £5 off voucher or £10 off voucher for fuel as I can't find the info out ??

I use alot of V Power for the Subaru BUT Being a VIP Driver for the MOD I am always filling up each day but with Diesel and sometimes V Power Diesel so my fuel is mixed so to speak!

In the last 2 weeks and after restringing my Shell Drives Club Card I have totted up 940 Points, Ive just checked on there website on my account.

So how does all this crap work then ?

I am finding alot of negative reports about Shell!

Shell Drivers Club Bonus Points Vouchers: Motoring Discussion forum

I know, confusing isn't it

All I know is I fill up with fuel, I get points, If I use a valid voucher I get extra bonus points, of which all tot up to give me money off.

I've just been looking at the statement I have and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever: Over the last three months I have 1957 points in total, and 0 bonus points. For some reason 900 points are subtracted from the previous balance. Leaving me with 1057 of which 1000 points are redeemed giving me a £5 fuel voucher....WTF did they subract the 900 points? And where are my bonus points ( I should have 400, according to the redeemed vouchers - lucky I photocopied them)??

Anyhoo, by logic I guess 200 points = £1 of fuel. Unless they use sliding scales to calculate it

And I swear they are fiddling the pumps: I have a 1 gallon fuel canister which is about 4.5 litres to the line (plus expansion space). It read 4.9 litres on the pump when it reached the line and was on 5.1 litres when I brimmed it (sod the expansion space )...since when was 1 gallon equal to 5 litres ?

Me thinks their pumps need recalibrating I thought laws were strict on petrol pump accuracy?

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 November 2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 22 November 2009, 12:23 AM
Simon STi
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got £18 voucher last few months and today I received £24 voucher, so i'm happy
Old 22 November 2009, 12:57 AM
cptcaveman
Scooby Regular

I was a optimax card holder until they made you sign up for the vpower card, and in doing so they kindly wiped out all my points.

Well I used to (until recently) do 70 miles a day, 5 to 6 days a week, meant I was filling up 3 times a week (yes I only get about 190 miles to a tank). And that's with Vpower. I also go through a lot of the shell helix oil, which gives you points.

I've never seen a £10 voucher, and what's more if you are lucky enough to get a £5 voucher, its only valid for a couple of months. Not being my gran, I don't tend to carry coupons round with me, think I've only cashed 2 in since the schemes been running.

Why can't they run it like a game reward scheme (for those who have one), where once you've hit a certain threshold, you can have £2 or whatever taken off your bill there and then.

Like one of the previous posts said, I think you'd be better off getting tesco 99 and using your club card.

I would switch but I see the guys at the shell station near me, more than the family, I just couldn't leave them now
Old 22 November 2009, 09:46 AM
mystery_machine
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter
But it don't say how many points your need to get £5 or £10 money off fuel vouchers?
sure it does on the 'How to redeem points' tab on that webpage?

Money Off Shell Fuel
500 points are worth L2.50 in vouchers, which can be used for money off when you purchase Shell fuel. Vouchers are sent automatically with your quarterly statement.
Old 22 November 2009, 11:16 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Ah but don't forget that you get double points for using V-power over normal Unleaded. My 205 GTi says it needs 98 ron fule so I use V-power in it anywho. Usually get through 30-35 litres a week so a voucher every so often comes in handy.
Old 22 November 2009, 01:55 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mystery_machine
sure it does on the 'How to redeem points' tab on that webpage?

Money Off Shell Fuel
500 points are worth L2.50 in vouchers, which can be used for money off when you purchase Shell fuel. Vouchers are sent automatically with your quarterly statement.

So your saying £2.50 for every 500 point then yeah ? Sorry to be blonde Just trying to be 100% Crystal clear!
Old 22 November 2009, 02:18 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

My vpower card had 721 points last quarter and that earned me a £3.50 fuel voucher. What p1sses me off is the way they try and scam you to buy a pack of buscuits or Ribena to earn '75 bonus points'. The crap costs so much more in Shell than a super market, you save **** all

Anders
Old 22 November 2009, 05:13 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The best Shell promo was their own credit card. Any petrol purchases earned you 3p a litre cashback. Provided you pay off the balance in full every month, there are no interest charges. Since July 2008, I've saved £161.50 on V-Power (though I do buy a lot of fuel)
Old 22 November 2009, 10:01 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anders_WR1
My vpower card had 721 points last quarter and that earned me a £3.50 fuel voucher. What p1sses me off is the way they try and scam you to buy a pack of buscuits or Ribena to earn '75 bonus points'. The crap costs so much more in Shell than a super market, you save **** all

Anders
Ditto!!

I cannot work out how they offer you peanuts when you spend X-amount!!

Now I know why Shell made a large profit last time round is because they offer nothing back to the customer.

I've not used my car a great deal in the last 6 months and found filling up x4 or x3 hard so I lost out.

Still, made the most of the Ribeena's,Hob **** and Red Bull vouchers.

Steve
Old 23 November 2009, 08:37 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

I used to use V Power & take advatage of Shells Drivers Club Card but switched to Tesco's for 2 reasons ...1. their 99 is cheaper! & 2. with your club card you can exchange points for vouchers & then quadruple your vouchers if you use them via rewards:

Tesco.com - rewards - Unexpected error

Have a look if you do anything regularly on there ...mine pay for my Karting at Daytona 4-5 times a year!
Old 23 November 2009, 10:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Another thing:

Has anyone managed to get their driver's club card to work when using the pay-at-pump thingy. I used it twice and both times it rejected my driver's club card, so I lost out on points
Old 24 November 2009, 12:22 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My credit card got cloned at my local shell station early in September and I had a bad experience with a member of staff in Peterborough mid September so I haven't used a shell station since

I used to only use Shell fuel in my cars and some months I was spending £600 a month on fuel so f*ck them

When I phoned them to complain about my issues (and they spoiled a F*cking awesome & expensive day out) they didn't care, they honestly didn't treat my case with the focus and care it required so I'll never use a Shell station again