ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Overheating Issue Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2009, 12:43 PM
daz9newc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Issue Resolved

Well as you may remember I have had over heating problems with my STI. With me now a apprentice mechanic at a local garage and I was able to pull my Impreza in for a number of tests to detect the over-heating issue

A few weeks back I brought the Impreza into work and did a few test to find out why it was over heating

Well after a few tests nothing came back indicating why it was overheating. Found out that you can pressurise the coolant system and you will not find the answer until its under boost

So I ordered complete gaskets and parts from ASPerformance and on thursday I found time to removed the engine on my own.

Once engine was apart I removed both heads and found one gasket was blown across both coolant jackets so its been the head gasket causing overheating and pressurising the coolant system.

Also I just got a phone call about 10mins ago from the guy we get all the heads checked and skimmed....my heads dont need skimmed, they gave them a good clean where the old gaskets sat, checked for cracks etc and all spot on..... so as you can imagine I am chuffed to bits so now next wednesday my engine will be back in and I will book it in for its MOt so on firday she will be back on the road......CANT WAIT
Old 28 November 2009, 01:56 PM
95 scooby scotty
Scooby Newbie

i would go for cometic multi layedred steel head gaskets trust me i had the same problem i aint had a problem since touch wood lol. and for the sake of it get the heads skimmed to just for peace of mind. good luck!
Old 28 November 2009, 02:24 PM
daz9newc
Scooby Regular

95 scooby scotty...with me being a trainee mechanic ...all parts are genuine subaru parts and the head gaskets are genuine subaru triple layerd steel gaskets so I now have confidence it wont go again....also the company we use for the heads have completely checked the heads in side and out for warps, cracks etc and found nothing...and the heads are very straight so need no work done on them
Old 28 November 2009, 02:44 PM
wayno
Scooby Regular

all the same, it is good practice even if only refacing them, good looking car by the way :-)
Old 28 November 2009, 08:06 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

did it not blow water out all over the battery and back of the n/s headlight?