ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

bugeye water leak

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2009, 02:38 PM
scooby1508
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bugeye water leak

has anyone had any water leak problems in the boot of a bugeye its driving me nuts trying to pinpoint it
Old 09 December 2009, 02:40 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a bugeye wagon and never had a problem. It may be different for 4dr cars.
Old 09 December 2009, 02:44 PM
b11fyn
Scooby Regular

Hi,

My problem with water getting into the boot was from the rear lights, i took them both out and reseald them up with mastik,, it only took bout 30mins, and a year down the line i still have a dry boot..

hope this helps

shaun....
Old 09 December 2009, 02:58 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I have a JDM S202 Bugeye and recently had to remove both rear lights due to water ingress, cleaned off the lights and bodywork and resealed with a sikoflex type product (which I 'borrowed' from work ).

However you might also find that the rear spoiler is leaking as well, as I have found with mine - so that will be coming off this weekend and will be resealed.

Also try to use a product which is slightly elastic as this allows for flex as some 'rigid' type sealants will start to crack/break up after a while.
Old 09 December 2009, 05:21 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

mine was leaking badley through the spoiler put sealent all round the bolt and nut hasnt leaked since
Old 09 December 2009, 05:30 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Im interested in this too, I recently had my spoiler re sealed at the local main dealer as its under Warranty for a year, but I'm still finding the boot very wet. What do you seal when you remove the lights ? around the bolt holes or actually around the light fitting. I dont want to have to take it to the dealership again for a day for 30 mins of work I can do on Saturday.
Old 09 December 2009, 06:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

When you take the lights off, you'll see where the old black sealant is. Remove it all, including any that adheres to the car, then replace it with a good bead of Carafax grey, available from Caravan dealers and some branches of Halfords.

That's the CORRECT stuff: remains non set, waterproof and allows the light to be removed, should it become necessary.

If, after sealing the lights, damp persisits, check first the rubber boot seal: give the boot a good hard spraying with a hose pipe, then open and look for water getting past it. It happens

If THAT doesn't stop it, it MIGHT be your rear screen seal. The only way to tell is by removing the whole rear parcel shelf, then spray and check for leaks.

Trending Topics

Old 09 December 2009, 08:24 PM
scooby1508
Scooby Regular

thanks for the help guys i suspected it might be the spoiler i will try the lights aswell on the weekend:no tworthy
Old 09 December 2009, 08:53 PM
wrx aly
Scooby Regular

Default leaking boot on my 02 bugeye

i had the same thing on my car it seams to be the spoiler holes re sealed with clear silicon sealer i will have a look in the morning and report back to see if this has done the trick
Old 10 December 2009, 12:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

WRX aly: the problems with using clear silicone are numerous: It DOES set, even though it remains slightly elastic, so vibration can tear it, allowing water ingress.
If you read the tubes it comes in, you will find that it DOESN'T like constant emersion...unless you buy the stuff for fish tanks etc

And finally, if you ever need the spoiler off again..........

Carafax, on the other hand, remains NON-set, so any amount of movement deosn't destroy the seal. It won't tear, and WILL withstand emersion: it's made to seal caravans, so is OK stood outside all year.
And finally, anything stuck with it CAN be removed, then resealed, often by "plumping up" the original stuff.

*I have no connection with Carafax, other than as a satisfied Scoob and caravan owner.