ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Disputing a claim/offer

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2009, 09:02 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disputing a claim/offer

I put this in Insurance section earlier but I was hoping for a bit more feedback. Anyone else been through similar?

AHHHHHHHHHH !

I have just come off the phone from a very arrogant and immature sounding female that just did not have any personal communication skills. To say I am annoyed is perhaps an understatement.

My car was written off a month ago and I was offered what I believe a very poor offer of £5000, around £1500 less than I think it's worth.

I sent in a stack of evidence, service history, receipts, copies of current cars for sale etc which gave a good indication of what my car should have been valued at.

10 days later.......still no contact from them so I call the ins co, to be told it has increased from £4000 to £5085. WTF!

I explaied I hade refused an offer of £5000 already but the arrogant female just wouldn't listen.

I politely refused this ridiculous offer and I was told an independent valuation would now be done.

What does this entail and what can I do if it is still a low offer.
Old 09 December 2009, 09:13 PM
al02uk
Scooby Regular

If you still believe that it is a low offer (I take it you have compared it on Parkers or similar), then you need to get in touch with an insurance (financial) ombudsman. Tell them you are in a stalemate with your insurance and they will offer advice, act as a mediator or take over for you

You must make a complaint to your insurance company though, they will only advise you to do that first anyway

Last edited by al02uk; 09 December 2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09 December 2009, 09:19 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

was it your fault or someone else's and have you actually valued it via parkers guide or are you just going off what someone else is trying to sell there's for ???
Old 09 December 2009, 09:34 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

What an owner thinks a car is worth and what the market valuers state it is worth are different in most cases.

PLUS, what is your XS? Maybe if that is something like £750, their offer of £5000 may be pretty near to the value?

£6500 would point to a 2005 STi?
Old 09 December 2009, 09:40 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
What an owner thinks a car is worth and what the market valuers state it is worth are different in most cases.

PLUS, what is your XS? Maybe if that is something like £750, their offer of £5000 may be pretty near to the value?

Appreciate your comments but I am not asking for anyone to value my car, I am asking for the above advice. Thanks

I could value a [One Owner, 10 year old Impreza Turbo ... .... driven very sensibly, standard Wagon .... full, complete, impecable Service History folder covering its average mileage.]...... though.
Old 09 December 2009, 09:49 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by al02uk
If you still believe that it is a low offer (I take it you have compared it on Parkers or similar), then you need to get in touch with an insurance (financial) ombudsman. Tell them you are in a stalemate with your insurance and they will offer advice, act as a mediator or take over for you

You must make a complaint to your insurance company though, they will only advise you to do that first anyway
That sound like good advice. Thanks
Old 09 December 2009, 09:51 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Sorry, thought I was contributing

The assessor will value your car, he will get a price from the trade and look over the documents and estimate the pre-accident condition of the car. He will note all modifications and ensure they are declared correctly.

If you think the offer too low then the ombudsman may step in ..... but, I would hazard a guess that the final offer from the Insurance Company will be one which can be backed up with hard evidence.

Good luck in your challenge! But remember the XS needs to come off the value.
Old 10 December 2009, 12:16 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Troll alert

TX.

Old 10 December 2009, 09:46 AM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

£6500 would maybe point to a 2001 Bugeye STI maybe. A good condition 2005 STI Blobeye should be in the region of £10,000 I would have thought.
Old 10 December 2009, 10:11 AM
geesta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by N_Scooby
£6500 would maybe point to a 2001 Bugeye STI maybe. A good condition 2005 STI Blobeye should be in the region of £10,000 I would have thought.
Definitely, too many people on here saying sti blob eyes are worth nothing, try buying a 2005 my for £10,000.
Old 10 December 2009, 11:05 AM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

Think it would help if you mentioned what car it is mate. That way people can advise you if its worth argueing your point??

I know when I disputed what they offered me they faxed me 22 cars for sale autotrader etc adverts off cars with similiar spec to mine. they will probably go on an average price as it wont matter to them wether it was raped every where or polised every other day.
Old 10 December 2009, 04:14 PM
G-Man_UK
Scooby Newbie

i think your best bet is get trawling on Autotrader & Pistonheads for similar cars & condition to yours and print off copies or keep links to have a go at your insurance company with...

Only word of caution is if cars are being sold by dealers - Ins Co will come back with the old 'yes, but that price includes a warranty' or 'that's not what they would do a cah deal at' etc. so be prepared to take a little off what the dealer headline retail price is...

Good Luck
Old 10 December 2009, 04:24 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they usually only search within 60miles of ure home and give roughly the average price,my sis had the misfortune of hitting a wall and thats how they worked out on what price her car was worth,
Old 10 December 2009, 04:49 PM
G-Man_UK
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by junior1910
they usually only search within 60miles of ure home and give roughly the average price,my sis had the misfortune of hitting a wall and thats how they worked out on what price her car was worth,
totally agree they would do that for a bog standard Focus or Astra, but a scoob's a bit more special and people are more willing to travel to get the right car, so I would still trawl UK wide myself..
Old 11 December 2009, 05:35 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G-Man_UK
i think your best bet is get trawling on Autotrader & Pistonheads for similar cars & condition to yours and print off copies or keep links to have a go at your insurance company with...
Yeh....................done this already as stated in post 1.
Old 11 December 2009, 05:41 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Update

So after I was told 5K [book price]then £5085 after the engineer has assessed my evidence, guess what............he's not budging.

So what was the point of sending in all the evidence when it hasn't been taken into consideration whatsoever. Still book price. wtf!

Someone obviously wants his Xmas bonus.

Anyway the Financial Ombusman reckons I have a good case so I will leave it to them.

I just hope I am awarded more just so I can go to the engineer.
Old 11 December 2009, 06:59 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Have you put the numberplate into weybuyanycar.com ?

This will tell you the absolute bottom price - it's helpful to see how close they are to the bottom ....... you should, of course, get the price it would cost to buy the exact same car retail.

Good luck!