ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

fmic or sti tmic

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2009, 04:44 PM
ajc1988
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fmic or sti tmic

hi just wanting some advice looking at getting a newage sti tmic but also a fmic just wondering which of these would be most benefical to me? Car is a my97 sti wagon.
Cheers andy
Old 10 December 2009, 05:01 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

whats the spec of your car mate?
Old 10 December 2009, 05:15 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

iirc the newage tmics are a git to fit. and for 290 for a gt2 fmic from harvey that would be my vote i think.
Old 10 December 2009, 07:22 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Depends what power your going for. If your not going past 350ish then go for a V8 TMIC. You will get less lag and it is easier to fit
Old 10 December 2009, 07:47 PM
ajc1988
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r
whats the spec of your car mate?
not 100% sure on spec mate. I no its got induction kit, 440 injectors, tubular manifold and full decat afterburner r3. Got told by guy i bought it off that he got told it should be around 320bhp but got no proof of this. Im looking next year at getting a bigger turbo aswel and probably hoping for around 360 or a bit more would i need bigger injectors for this also not sure if fuel pump has been uprated will have to look through all reciepts ive got at home.
Andy
Old 11 December 2009, 01:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Best to try and find out EXACTLY what's been done before doing owt else, mate. If the fuel pump HASN'T been done, get it done. Otherwise poor fuelling leads to a weak mixture and DET!!!!!!!!

Mine was a classic with a decat, induction kit, etc, running with a LINK ecu remapped by someone who knows what he is doing.

It suffered headgasket failure this time last year, nowt to do with the remap, and when it had the job done, the heads were skimmed.

I then ran with it like thast until summer when it failed bigtime.

Part of the problem has been put down to having had the compression ratio altered by the head skim, and part due to running too much power with a TMIC in 40+ degree daytime temperatures on French motorways at sill speeds for long duration. Heatsoak. AND it had an STi intercooler.

When it gets rebuilt, it will have one of Harvey's FMIC's, a Hybrid GT or GT2.
Old 11 December 2009, 02:56 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

if your planning more mods for your car in the future then i would go front mount they do look better and allows for more power in the future. buy once to save you buying again in the future. a fmic should make more power if im not mistaken and also more efficient. Discuss your needs with Harvey who is an authorized trader on here he will be able to assist you and give you best advice based on his experience.

mus
Old 11 December 2009, 03:05 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Hi Andy,

Give me a shout on 01462 488244 for advice.

We supply the Hybrid GT Spec and GT2 spec for your model, but unless you are going for big numbers chances are you won't need one and a STi8 TMIC would be more suitable.

AZTEC PERFORMANCE ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC - HYBRID Front Mount Intercoolers (FMICs) :: *SPECIAL OFFER* HYBRID GT2 SPEC FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER KIT - GC8 IMPREZA *SPECIAL OFFER*
Old 11 December 2009, 03:06 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

If its purely a road car then go with the later STi tmic.It is perfect for road cars and will have no ill effects at all unless you are driving constantly in 3 figures for prolonged periods.If you are intending on doing a few trackdays then go fmic but be prepared to cut your front bumper to shreds and possible lose the foglights

HTH
Old 11 December 2009, 03:41 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

its an interesting debate that will never end i had a mate of mine who had ver 3 ra tmic 18G turbo running 10% meth that was a nice drive on the road on the strip 2 summers ago he kept on getting misfire on nearly all his runs as it was a warm day. If you get a good fmic get it fitted by someone who know what there doing otherwise you will spend most of your time on the side of the road trying to reconnect your pipes not very pleasant on cold day or the motorway, get it mapped and away you go
Old 11 December 2009, 03:51 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r
i. If you get a good fmic get it fitted by someone who know what there doing otherwise you will spend most of your time on the side of the road trying to reconnect your pipes not very pleasant on cold day or the motorway, get it mapped and away you go

LOL i still remeber that day...you just about had the skyline until your pipe came off
Old 11 December 2009, 05:10 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

I went for a ver8 tmic they'll cool upto 450horses, i'm running one at 380bhp ish, less laggy than a fmic and less chanse of having pipework issues, a couple of the boys that have gone fmic have ended up on the side of the road/motorway hard shoulder after a fmic pipe had come adrift.
Old 11 December 2009, 05:40 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Aladdin you have a good memory didnt happen against the LP640 or the other Skyline though its annoying as the bugger obviously thought he won, but yes hasnt happend since i had mine redone by engine tuner and so far not a single issue.
Old 11 December 2009, 05:52 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine popped off on a very awkward road in my previous V3, good i was going down hill which helped me get into a petrol station.
Old 11 December 2009, 05:56 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

cant explain how annoying and frustrating it is when it happens
Old 11 December 2009, 07:59 PM
ajc1988
Scooby Regular

Cheers for replys guys. Stuck on which to go for as if i go for sti tmic i would need to cut and weld it for the dump valve to fit which i dont fancy doing, but then im hopefully getting a set of driving lights in the next few weeks which im worried wont fit if i get a fmic from what i have read about having to cut bumper. Does anybody know if this is the case or would i be able to fit both. Also it sounds like its not recommended to fit a front mount yourself is it possible to do yourself safely?
Andy
Old 11 December 2009, 08:22 PM
wayner845
Scooby Regular

SUBARU IMPREZA STI ORIGINAL TOP MOUNTED INTERCOOLE 2003 on eBay (end time 19-Dec-09 20:15:33 GMT)
Old 11 December 2009, 09:06 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If pipes are popping off the FMIC has not been fitted properly, simple as that (or the pipework lacks retainer ridges and is of very poor design).

I went for a ver8 tmic they'll cool upto 450horses, i'm running one at 380bhp ish, less laggy than a fmic and less chanse of having pipework issues, a couple of the boys that have gone fmic have ended up on the side of the road/motorway hard shoulder after a fmic pipe had come adrift.
What model and year?

I am interested to know why you think the TMIC is satisfactory at 450 bhp and what do you base your statement of less lag on? Have you actually compared these TMIC -v- FMIC. What sort of induction temperature do you have with your TMIC at 380 bhp?
Are you running the STi 8 undertray and STi 8 bonnet scoop?
At 380 bhp chances are you would get good gains from a front mount.

Plenty enthusiasts on here have fitted their own Hybrid front mount intercoolers and most have made a very good job but if you don't want to fit your own we can do that for you for a fixed £185 inclusive of sundries.

Do it right do it once.
Old 12 December 2009, 10:26 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ajc1988
hi just wanting some advice looking at getting a newage sti tmic but also a fmic just wondering which of these would be most benefical to me? Car is a my97 sti wagon.
Cheers andy
Personaly I would PM Harvey for advice - he has looked into this in great depth. He is very knowledgeable and has been very helpfull to me and many on here.
Old 12 December 2009, 12:31 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by harvey
If pipes are popping off the FMIC has not been fitted properly, simple as that (or the pipework lacks retainer ridges and is of very poor design).

Do it right do it once.
+1

dunx

P.S. Never had a single problem with mine over the last three years....