ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Which one, WRX or STi etc

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2009, 04:02 PM
stevie-m
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one, WRX or STi etc

Hi all, looking to buy myself an Impreza, after trawling the usual avenues like Autotrader etc I am a bit confused.

Can some kind member off here please explain the difference in a WRX, STI or WRX STI model.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered before, I did try a search.
Old 11 December 2009, 04:08 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends what style of impreza you are refering to as there is Classic and Newage (which has bugeye,blobeye and hawkeye style of models which come in WRX and STI models but then there is also JDM and UK versions).
Old 11 December 2009, 04:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

sti is higher spec than the wrx, more power, better equipment etc
Old 11 December 2009, 04:12 PM
stevie-m
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Depends what style of impreza you are refering to as there is Classic and Newage (which has bugeye,blobeye and hawkeye style of models which come in WRX and STI models but then there is also JDM and UK versions).
looking to buy a Newage one then, in around the 05 -06 mark, if thats any help
Old 11 December 2009, 04:18 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

You may just scrape a Bugeye STI with 6k.

Forget the WRX.........STI all the way.
Better Suspension
" Brakes
" Engine componenets
" Gearbox
" Styling
More power
Old 11 December 2009, 04:22 PM
stevie-m
Scooby Newbie

No sorry I meant 2005 - 2006 my budgets around the 10k mark
Old 11 December 2009, 04:40 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ide go for the uk blob sti.. the jdm sti will be more to insure. you could get a very nice wrx for that money maybe newer than 06 but you'll wish you got the sti in the end. so blob sti ide say

Trending Topics

Old 11 December 2009, 04:43 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Agreed - 10K should be good for a decent Blobeye STI perhaps with a few extras.

You may well need to stretch to 12k+ or so to get into decent Hawkeye territory......
Old 11 December 2009, 05:10 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

you have to ask yourself what you want?
i went for a WRX because 5 speed is better for the roads i drive
i wanted a sun roof and full leather, and the 2.5l engine
and for less than i could buy a STI,
i have a faster car and a car that is set up for me
Old 11 December 2009, 05:22 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I bought a 2006 2.5 WRX and because I did not research enough into the car (at that time I thought an Impreza is an Impreza) and I ended up spending in the region of £3K over the course of the first year modifying it.

I should have gone for a Hawkeye 2.5 STi which would have probably worked out at about the same money including mods, in the end I traded the WRX in and went for a Bugeye JDM S202 which is a totally different car in all respects.

If you want loads of torque go for a 2.5 litre engine but if you want acceleration and in my eyes more fun go for a JDM 2.0 Sti.

I had my S202 remapped by Bob Rawle last sunday and the acceleration is now mentally fast.
Old 11 December 2009, 05:50 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

when I was looking in 2005 (blobeye version)

I went for the WRX and then PPP.

why

1) STi then had horric fuel consumption compared to the WRX, i did 15,000 miles per year and the WRX averaged 32mpg
2) The STI cost more and the insurance company demanded a tracker
3) The STi was too much power for me and too fast (at least i'm honest), the WRX was plenty fast for my limited driving ability.
4) the suspension was too hard for Reading roads.

Why I now have an STi hatchback
1) I now do 7,000 miles per year at most
2) insurance is no longer an issue as I have advanced driving and Direct line quoted is £400 per year (only £80 more than my Diesel)
3) I want the extra power and grunt, you only live once and my driving skills have improved.
4) the new hatchback is more civilised and suspension copes better. whilst the STi hatchback just grips in all weather where my blopeye would let go
5) fuel comsumption for a 300bhp car is very good (24mpg at worst)
6) It looks quote decent in blue and often mistaken for a Focus RS, I tell people its faster (dig, dig)

Just my experience.

If you only do a low mileage blopeye Sti, the Sti sounds a good bet.
Old 11 December 2009, 06:04 PM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Go for a 2 litre WRX 2005 (just before 2.5 litre hawkeye introduced) you'll save £200 a year on road tax over an STi
Old 11 December 2009, 06:23 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tim's wrx
Go for a 2 litre WRX 2005 (just before 2.5 litre hawkeye introduced) you'll save £200 a year on road tax over an STi
you will get better mpg out of a 2.5
over a year you will still save depending on what miles you do
Old 11 December 2009, 06:47 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

depends on what you want youll pay around £500 a year more on insurance if your in your 20's running costs are higher for the sti.
I also didnt research enough into wrx and sti models and at the time sti prices were high 2 years ago for a blob. My wrx is a great car more basic than the sti but for under a grand you could have the 265bhp like the sti
Old 11 December 2009, 07:03 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

if your the type of person who likes to modify go for the STI will be cheaper in the long run
Old 11 December 2009, 08:21 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Some good views here, it's not simply a case of saying definitely Sti.

The WRX with PPP is a great all round car, cheaper to tax, and a more compliant ride.
Old 11 December 2009, 10:36 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I prefer the subtle approach. I've had a classic 2000MY, 03 WRX PPP and in 4th year of owning a 55 plate WRX PPP. I have decatted and remapped current car, upgraded suspension and brakes and very subtle stying mods, (18" wheels, lower grille, splitter). I don't do track days in it, its plenty quick enough as a second car for me. More importantly, when I put the wife and kids in it, they don't find it uncomfortable. I prefer non gold wheels and lower spolier for a start. The money I spent on mods is still less than the difference in the price of a WRX over an STI. I now have a car to my taste and spec. Don't rush into buying something that isn't for you.
Old 11 December 2009, 10:59 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
I prefer the subtle approach. I've had a classic 2000MY, 03 WRX PPP and in 4th year of owning a 55 plate WRX PPP. I have decatted and remapped current car, upgraded suspension and brakes and very subtle stying mods, (18" wheels, lower grille, splitter). I don't do track days in it, its plenty quick enough as a second car for me. More importantly, when I put the wife and kids in it, they don't find it uncomfortable. I prefer non gold wheels and lower spolier for a start. The money I spent on mods is still less than the difference in the price of a WRX over an STI. I now have a car to my taste and spec. Don't rush into buying something that isn't for you.
well said thats what it all about
getting the car thats right for you
Old 11 December 2009, 11:19 PM
sparkey67
Scooby Regular

sti bud if u buy wrx u will spend more money getting it to sti spec

you should b able to pick good sti up 4 10k mark
Old 11 December 2009, 11:44 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

I also prefer the subtle approach, so bought a subtle STi as it is simply a better spec'd car than the WRX. Running costs are no different between a 06 WRX and STi. I checked before buying mine and the tax and insurance were the same. The fuel consumption on an STi is better in all but town conditions given the six speed box... oh and if you boot it of course. A remapped STi is even better on the fuel than standard and makes it twice the car the WRX is before investing some serious cash.

If the STi ride is too harsh for you then you simply put some WRX springs on. To get a WRX to STi level is a very expensive process when you consider the brakes, gear box, engine, etc.

I'm sorry, but the only people who advise you to get a WRX and not an STi when buying an Impreza are those who have made the mistake themselves. This is quite possibly why the WRX is to be dropped from what I have heard.
Old 12 December 2009, 07:43 AM
addison
Scooby Regular

The fuel consumption on an STi is better in all but town conditions given the six speed box... Don't think that is correct!

If the STi ride is too harsh for you then you simply put some WRX springs on.
06-07 STI and WRX have same suspension!

The 6 speed box is stronger and better on the track
but on B roads where all the fun is to be had give me a five speed any time

you can still get a WRX up to STI spec for less than you can buy one

So what is different between a 06-07 STI and a 06-07 WRX
I know :-
Turbo
Brakes
Gear Box
Girly pink badge (lol)
Please add to list i would like to know all the differences
Old 12 December 2009, 08:34 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by addison
The fuel consumption on an STi is better in all but town conditions given the six speed box... Don't think that is correct!

The 6 speed box is stronger and better on the track
but on B roads where all the fun is to be had give me a five speed any time

So what is different between a 06-07 STI and a 06-07 WRX
I know :-
Turbo
Brakes
Gear Box
Girly pink badge (lol)
Please add to list i would like to know all the differences
The suspension is definitely different between an STi and WRX, the springs and struts are different, as you will find if you try to fit STi suspension to a WRX (Hawkeye anyway), it will not fit unless you also I believe change the front and rear hubs at the very least.

I have found that the 6 speed gearbox is a lot better, ok the ratios are different and you can just about hit 60 in second gear with a WRX box but after that give me the 6 speed box anyday.

I would imagine on the fuel consumption side if you do a lot of motorway/A road driving then the 6 speed box will give you better mpg merely due to the fact that you will not be revving as high as you would in a WRX.

As somebody who has owned a 2.5 WRX and uprated it, it would have been more cost effective and far less hassle to have bought an 2.0 or 2.5 STi to begin with.

Don't get me wrong the 2.5 WRX is a very good car and you should buy any car dependant upon your budget/requirements but if I were looking to change my car I would go for an STi.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 12 December 2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12 December 2009, 09:32 AM
addison
Scooby Regular

The suspension is definitely different between an STi and WRX, the springs and struts are different, as you will find if you try to fit STi suspension to a WRX (Hawkeye anyway), it will not fit unless you also I believe change the front and rear hubs at the very least.

the only difference is the PCD so yes you will need to change hubs i did not say you could change them one for one
they are both inverted ,springs are the same work the same
not trying to pick on you but reading on here you STI guys seem to think the WRX is the poor relation
and that if you have not got a 6 speed box you should give the car to your grandad
my WRX put out 320 bhp-380 ft/lbs at 3000 rpm and pulls to the red line peck 345/400
with the 5 speed box down a B road its as good as anything
its no better than any other car but its no worse just different (that suits me)
please don't take this wrong
But take your blinkers off LOL
Old 12 December 2009, 09:41 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

It is.

They don't

I'm sorry but that is incorrect too. Even once you replace the engine parts, gear box, brakes, suspension, clocks, wheels (tough with the PCD)... what about things like the wider track of the STi?

Last edited by Mikkel; 12 December 2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12 December 2009, 10:07 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

the only difference is the PCD so yes you will need to change hubs i did not say you could change them one for one
they are both inverted ,springs are the same work the same
not trying to pick on you but reading on here you STI guys seem to think the WRX is the poor relation
and that if you have not got a 6 speed box you should give the car to your grandad
my WRX put out 320 bhp-380 ft/lbs at 3000 rpm and pulls to the red line peck 345/400
with the 5 speed box down a B road its as good as anything
its no better than any other car but its no worse just different (that suits me)
please don't take this wrong
But take your blinkers off LOL
You ask me not to take this wrong? If you read my previous posts you will have read that I used to own a 2.5 WRX Hawkeye and I stated that the WRX is a very good car.

As for snobbery? What makes you think that I or any other STi owners look down upon WRX owners? As a former WRX owner I did not encounter any snobbery from STi owners, I just wish that I had plumped for an STi to begin with.

Give the car to my Grandad? I doubt it as they have both been dead for some time now...

I believe that if you check as well the rebound/sprung/damping rates are different on the STi suspension as opposed to the WRX.

The 'blinkers' that I wear are entirely focussed towards Subaru Imprezas it does not matter to me whether it is a 22B, Type R, Sport, GX, WRX, WRXS, Sti, Spec C, RA, RA-R, S202/3/4, JDM, UK, Newage, Classic or any other variant that I have missed out on.
Old 12 December 2009, 04:03 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Predictable views as with all the previous similar threads. At the end of the day there both great cars, the OP needs to try both to see which suits him best.
Old 12 December 2009, 05:22 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

IMHO if you just want to drive the car buy an STI, i on the other hand would never be happy just to drive the thing and get asmuch pleasure out of tweeking them, when i purchased my 2006 wrx new i saved iro £5k over the STI and with that money now spent on mods i have a car that will out drag a std STI (i've got an extra 100bhp & a 5spd box) and top the STI's limited top speed (mine will do 170mph ish), it'll out handle a std STI with the help of whiteline goodies, and it'll stop quicker for longer than a std STI (cos i've got 356mm discs & 8pot calipers) and i recon it looks nicer than a std STI, but dont get me wrong if money was'nt an issue when i purchased it i'd of gone for the STI

Last edited by Black-Hawk; 12 December 2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12 December 2009, 05:37 PM
scixer6r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby401
IMHO if you just want to drive the car buy an STI, i on the other hand would never be happy just to drive the thing and get asmuch pleasure out of tweeking them, when i purchased my 2006 wrx new i saved iro £5k and with that money now spent on mods i have a car that will out drag a std STI (i've got an extra 100bhp & a 5spd box) and top the STI's limited top speed (mine will do 170mph ish), it'll out handle a std STI with the help of whiteline goodies, and it'll stop quicker for longer than a std STI (cos i've got 356mm discs & 8pot calipers) and i recon it looks nicer than a std STI, but dont get me wrong if money was'nt an issue when i purchased it i'd of gone for the STI
So what your saying is your a STI wannabe.lmhao
Old 12 December 2009, 05:41 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scixer6r
So what your saying is your a STI wannabe.lmhao
No, its just my car
Old 12 December 2009, 06:02 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

It depends on your requirements mate, if you can give a bit more info you might get more back and limit any squabbling. Scooby owners seem to be very willing to help,with the right question, a but a bit like Piranhas, can turn on each other if no other target is available. Think of it as joining a Piranha shoal and watch ya fingers.

ps. If ya want very good performance and the cheaper insurance etc go for the WRX, if ya want a WRX that's already modded out of the factory go for the WRX STi. I've got a WRX 97 MY from Tokyo, so a Grey Import btw.

Last edited by Quasi Modo; 12 December 2009 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Which one, WRX or STi etc