ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

why are so many blobeyes blowin up after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2009, 09:41 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why are so many blobeyes blowin up after oil change

as above there are loads off blobeyes blowing up after oil changes if they are done incorrectly and there low mileage dont hear off many bugeyes encountering same problems is there any difference between the too
Old 13 December 2009, 09:44 PM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
as above there are loads off blobeyes blowing up after oil changes if they are done incorrectly and there low mileage dont hear off many bugeyes encountering same problems is there any difference between the too
I changed the oil myself on my 54 plate blob.All i done was pre-fill the filter.It's done over 1500 miles since i done it with no probs.
Old 13 December 2009, 09:46 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Foofighter
I changed the oil myself on my 54 plate blob.All i done was pre-fill the filter.It's done over 1500 miles since i done it with no probs.
why do they let go at 35k then
Old 13 December 2009, 09:49 PM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

why do they let go at 35k then
I honestly don't know mate,mines done 42000 miles and runs perfect and doesn't use a drop of oil or water
Old 13 December 2009, 09:49 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

I have heard of a couple of P1's bottom ends going soon after a service. I dont why it should be different for blob eyes?

I know pre filling the oil filter and dry cranking are important though
Old 13 December 2009, 09:53 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Dry Cranking is an old wives tale, in my extensive Engineering experience.

Pre-Filling isn't needed either (although I still carry out that myself - but not strictly needed).

And to state that BugEye Engines let go at 35,000 miles after an Oil change is simply mis-leading ...... and wrong.
Old 13 December 2009, 09:54 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

My 04 is on 37k, done the last change myself. Only pre-filled the filter, no dry cranking. No problems so far.

Trending Topics

Old 13 December 2009, 09:55 PM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp

Pre-Filling isn't needed either (although I still carry out that myself - but not strictly needed).

And to state that BugEye Engines let go at 35,000 miles after an Oil change is simply mis-leading ...... and wrong.
Quite agree.I've always pre-filled the oil filter on every single car i've had though.
Old 13 December 2009, 10:00 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

not bugeyes at 35k blobeyes and isnt it correct too disconnect cam sensor sunnyside youve got a well looked after classic im talkin newage
Old 13 December 2009, 10:04 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

My bug is on 96k pushing out 400bhp, I prefill the filter but normal start upon filling the oil up. Have also done oil flush every other filter change (hard hat on ready for comments). Runs sweet with no knocking and gets hammered a lot.
Old 13 December 2009, 10:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

The dry cranking is to build up the oil pressure, the filling of the oil filter is a normal procedure on any car.
The joys of not dry cranking are that you can cause oil starvation, something as an engineer Pete you should know about and understand that it isnt that good
Ask one of the engine builders what they think but

Tony
Old 13 December 2009, 10:10 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

not bugeyes at 35k blobeyes and isnt it correct too disconnect cam sensor sunnyside youve got a well looked after classic im talkin newage
Whatever 'style' the Impreza is the rules are the same.

Dry Cranking not required.

Pre-Filling Oil filter up to owner though not really needed.

Just contact your Main Dealer if in any doubt, they will say the same.
Old 13 December 2009, 10:14 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Whatever 'style' the Impreza is the rules are the same.

Dry Cranking not required.

Pre-Filling Oil filter up to owner though not really needed.

Just contact your Main Dealer if in any doubt, they will say the same.
so the question is why are so many blobeyes goin **** up with low mileage after oil change
Old 13 December 2009, 10:14 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did 70K in mine.
Oil change every 5k and filter at 10k without prefilling.
Did loads of track days without any problems.
Mainly concentrated on correct warm up procedure.
Old 13 December 2009, 10:15 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

That's the first time I've heard this.This is the second Blob I've had and have had load's of oil changes and never had a problem.Why would only Blob's go bang when Bug's and Hawk's have what is the same engine.
Old 13 December 2009, 10:18 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
That's the first time I've heard this.This is the second Blob I've had and have had load's of oil changes and never had a problem.Why would only Blob's go bang when Bug's and Hawk's have what is the same engine.
as spending a lot off my time in technical i can assure you there is more blobs goin wrong than anything else other than classics
Old 13 December 2009, 10:19 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

so the question is why are so many blobeyes goin **** up with low mileage after oil change
OK, let's get a bit scientific here ..... please tell us how many blobeyes, exactly, which have gone '**** up' ... then we can ascertain what problem it really is.

List their states of tune, if they were tracked after oil change, and the Service History of each vehicle.

Then we can work on your answer.
Old 13 December 2009, 10:20 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

How many are you talking about? Never heard of this before........
Old 13 December 2009, 10:20 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

But, if you are worried, adhere to this Oil Change Procedure:-

The Oil Change according to the Old Ladies on here:-

1. Remove Oil Filler Cap, 'gently' - take at least 5 minutes or the threads will strip and the exhaust will fall off in a weeks time.

2. Carefully jack up the front of car, make sure that only the 'special' car jacking points are used or the steering wheel will be upside down next time you see it (the special jack points are only known to a select few, not the main dealers!)

3. Locate the Sump Plug, do this using an Inspection Lamp with a 100W bulb - do not, under any circumstances, use a bulb of lower wattage or the splash cover under the engine will melt and pieces will be sucked up into the MAF and then immediate engine failure will occur.

4. Undo Sump Plug whilst humming 'Oil Be Home For Xmas' - do NOT sing any other song or the Radio will never tune into any local stations again and the aerial will need to be replaced at the next service.

5. Allow Oil to drain into a Tupperware Perspex Jug - use only perspex as other plastics react with the old oil and particles travel back through the draining oil and attack the Big-End Bearings.

6. Whilst Oil is draining run around car 15 times in a Morris Dancing Outfit with the special Subaru bells attached to shoes.

7. Remove Oil Filter by unscrewing anti-clockwise 5 times, then clockwise 2 times, continue until filter is free ..... failure to do this will result in the new Filter not filling up with Oil on start-up.

8. Fill Oil Filter with Oil and screw new Oil Filter on and replace Sump Plug - there is some discussion about the order that these need to be replaced, many an evening in a B.O. smelling corner of a dark pub has been spent mulling over the merits of both choices ..... there is a 'special' way, but we are not sure what it is yet.

9. Start filling the engine with Oil - Synthetic only please!! and of course, Subarus need 'special' Oil - Mobil made a 'special' Oil just for us!!

10. Now it gets complicated, the engine start procedure ...... remove the spark plugs, coil packs and battery - remove the seats and rear boot/tailgate - ensure Octane Booster is removed from tank as it might spontaneously start the car when you are not ready - take the drive belts off - turn engine over, s....l....o....w....l....y - engine should be turned over at least 67 times to ensure adequate Oil film coverage.

11. Return all components and start engine whilst whistling the theme tune to TITANIC ................ if you are VERY lucky the engine will not shoot a con-rod through the block (this normally happens to MY96 cars which are MicaPink in colour) - but ALL Model Years can be affected equally as bad.

12. If the engine started without any problems, then don't be smug as the MAF sensor will blow up your engine within 3 days in any case!!!!!

OR, do as the Main Dealers do:-

Change Oil - start engine - check for Oil drips - return to customer!!
Old 13 December 2009, 10:24 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

must just be me as i have not heard of any going bang!!!
Old 13 December 2009, 10:25 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

OK, let's get a bit scientific here ..... please tell us how many blobeyes, exactly, which have gone '**** up' ... then we can ascertain what problem it really is.

List their states of tune, if they were tracked after oil change, and the Service History of each vehicle.

Then we can work on your answer.
most go at around 30k and they havnt been mapped problems were all to do with oil changes they seem to have symptons off this very shortly after it look in the archives and see the threads for yourself dont see many bugeyes encountering same problems
Old 13 December 2009, 10:25 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

good old pete.
this one is a classic.
Old 13 December 2009, 10:26 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

as spending a lot off my time in technical i can assure you there is more blobs goin wrong than anything else other than classics
Might that be more Blob's were sold than Bugs and Hawks?
Old 13 December 2009, 10:28 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

It's the usual SN scaremongery ..... one car may break down, maybe within 1000 miles of an Oil change, it is running 800 BHP and was thrashed within an inch of its life ..... then, all of a sudden, quite by magic the Oil change was to blame and they are ALL blowing up
Old 13 December 2009, 10:44 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

i think it is only cars without knocklinks that this happens to?

pete can you confirm?
Old 13 December 2009, 10:50 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Well, yes, a KockLink would actually guide you through the Oil change and monitor the molecules withing the Oil itself
Old 13 December 2009, 10:58 PM
oadamo
Scooby Regular

its prob because most people think if the oil costs 50 quid a bottle its got to be good even tho its the wrong spec for there engine, if the engine spec says 10/40 then use the right oil its speced that way for a reason, unless your having the engine rebuilt with different clearances that require different spec oil.
adam
Old 13 December 2009, 11:23 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

But, if you are worried, adhere to this Oil Change Procedure:-

The Oil Change according to the Old Ladies on here:-

1. Remove Oil Filler Cap, 'gently' - take at least 5 minutes or the threads will strip and the exhaust will fall off in a weeks time.

2. Carefully jack up the front of car, make sure that only the 'special' car jacking points are used or the steering wheel will be upside down next time you see it (the special jack points are only known to a select few, not the main dealers!)

3. Locate the Sump Plug, do this using an Inspection Lamp with a 100W bulb - do not, under any circumstances, use a bulb of lower wattage or the splash cover under the engine will melt and pieces will be sucked up into the MAF and then immediate engine failure will occur.

4. Undo Sump Plug whilst humming 'Oil Be Home For Xmas' - do NOT sing any other song or the Radio will never tune into any local stations again and the aerial will need to be replaced at the next service.

5. Allow Oil to drain into a Tupperware Perspex Jug - use only perspex as other plastics react with the old oil and particles travel back through the draining oil and attack the Big-End Bearings.

6. Whilst Oil is draining run around car 15 times in a Morris Dancing Outfit with the special Subaru bells attached to shoes.

7. Remove Oil Filter by unscrewing anti-clockwise 5 times, then clockwise 2 times, continue until filter is free ..... failure to do this will result in the new Filter not filling up with Oil on start-up.

8. Fill Oil Filter with Oil and screw new Oil Filter on and replace Sump Plug - there is some discussion about the order that these need to be replaced, many an evening in a B.O. smelling corner of a dark pub has been spent mulling over the merits of both choices ..... there is a 'special' way, but we are not sure what it is yet.

9. Start filling the engine with Oil - Synthetic only please!! and of course, Subarus need 'special' Oil - Mobil made a 'special' Oil just for us!!

10. Now it gets complicated, the engine start procedure ...... remove the spark plugs, coil packs and battery - remove the seats and rear boot/tailgate - ensure Octane Booster is removed from tank as it might spontaneously start the car when you are not ready - take the drive belts off - turn engine over, s....l....o....w....l....y - engine should be turned over at least 67 times to ensure adequate Oil film coverage.

11. Return all components and start engine whilst whistling the theme tune to TITANIC ................ if you are VERY lucky the engine will not shoot a con-rod through the block (this normally happens to MY96 cars which are MicaPink in colour) - but ALL Model Years can be affected equally as bad.

12. If the engine started without any problems, then don't be smug as the MAF sensor will blow up your engine within 3 days in any case!!!!!

OR, do as the Main Dealers do:-

Change Oil - start engine - check for Oil drips - return to customer!!

Bravo
Old 14 December 2009, 12:03 AM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

oh god someones just mentioned a cocklink. you know it only winds pete up.
Old 14 December 2009, 12:05 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job he doesnt know about the KS3/4's

Tony

Quick Reply: why are so many blobeyes blowin up after oil change