ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Newbey with handleing problem :(

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2009, 11:39 AM
picky77
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbey with handleing problem :(

Hi to all,ive had a p reg classic shape wagon for about a year now and ive got a bad problem with it in the wet,if i turn right it has a tendancy to lose the back end but if i turn left its not as bad,happens at low speed 20mph.Tyres are fine and ive had bushes checked at a local garage and they said there fine so im a little confused to what it could be.The car will also skip if i go over a drain cover in the road,ie if the rear right wheel goes over it then it will skip right and vice versa,it just doesnt feel safe in the wet,it feels like the back wheels are loose when driving in the wet but obviously there not,bearings are also fine as ive had them checked also.When driving in dry conditions going round bends seems fine but if i go over a bump in the road the back end seems to bang down unlike the front just rides over the bump.Any ideas would be appreciated if anyones come across this before
many thanx Lee
Old 31 December 2009, 11:42 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

No expert but might be that a shock has seized
Old 31 December 2009, 11:53 AM
picky77
Scooby Regular

When i got the car it had been lowered with shocks and spring but the back end is lower than the front,if you push down on the back it seems fine but on the road it doesnt seem that nice,ive had imprezas in the past and theyve all handled very well and been a pleasure to drive,but this ones gettin worse and no one can figure out why.I will get the shocks checked again and see if there the problem,ive also been told it could be the rear diff but ive got no noise from it so cant see how it could be that??? cheers for your reply
Old 31 December 2009, 12:19 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I would have said it was the shock from what you describe. Has it got the right springs on it?

Needles to say lowewring it reduces the suspension travel, the lower you go the less you have to asord bumps and abnormalities in the road. Also your tyres do the same, if really low profile.

Try checking your tyre pressures are ok and also what tyres are you on, do they match front to back, left to right?

Last edited by The Zohan; 31 December 2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 31 December 2009, 12:25 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

have you had a 4 wheel alighnment check?
Old 31 December 2009, 03:08 PM
picky77
Scooby Regular

Getting wheel allignment check done next week to see if that sorts the problem out,its like the rear wheels are dragging over bumps instead of rolling over them quit hard to explain really it has to be driven to know what im talking about.Will get the rears alligned then see how it goes from there.As for springs there the correct ones,tyres are all matching and pressures are all fine,it just seems to be getting worse for some reason.
Old 31 December 2009, 05:09 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Get 4 Wheel Geometery checked which does Toe, Camber and Caster. Its the only way a scoob set up properly.

Front "Wheel alignment" then rear "Wheel alinment" is not the way to go, complete poo, you may aswell use two pieces of string and piece of Chalk on the floor

Agree more like a Strut issue

But may be worth checking if it still 4WD and not 3WD, fairly common that a "C" clip breaks and a Drive shaft slips out of the spline, hence only 3 wheels driving.
This can show up as "Pulling" in different duing acceration and deacceleration. not so obviuos if one the rear. And can seem like clutch slip on higher loads .

IMHO IIRC

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 31 December 2009, 06:06 PM
picky77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
Get 4 Wheel Geometery checked which does Toe, Camber and Caster. Its the only way a scoob set up properly.

Front "Wheel alignment" then rear "Wheel alinment" is not the way to go, complete poo, you may aswell use two pieces of string and piece of Chalk on the floor

Agree more like a Strut issue

But may be worth checking if it still 4WD and not 3WD, fairly common that a "C" clip breaks and a Drive shaft slips out of the spline, hence only 3 wheels driving.
This can show up as "Pulling" in different duing acceration and deacceleration. not so obviuos if one the rear. And can seem like clutch slip on higher loads .

IMHO IIRC

Tony
Funny you should mention the clutch slip as my friend drove it when it got mot'd to check the brakes and he said the clutch was slipping,i havnt realy noticed it as i dont drive it hard as its covered 117,000 miles on original engine so dont want it going bang,so will get that checked aswell. Many thanx guys
Old 01 January 2010, 08:54 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue with a cosworth: turned out to be low oil level in the front diff.
Old 01 January 2010, 05:29 PM
picky77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
I had a similar issue with a cosworth: turned out to be low oil level in the front diff.
Did that make the rear end twitchy? Feels like its on skates sometimes