ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Towed to safety in the snow by a frontera the shame lol

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2010, 07:23 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towed to safety in the snow by a frontera the shame lol

got stuck twice today in the snow and got towed to safety by a vauxhall frontera my tyres were just slipping all over the place in the snow on the spot, and my car were going around in circles, with every setting used on my C-Diff to no avail. my tyres dont grip for toffee,...what are the best snow tyres for a subaro on standard rims 17" on a 54 plate blob eye.
Also having young spotty teenagers driving past in a punto saying i qoute "No way a subaru stuck in the snow haha" i was devastated and the subaru credibility is sliding toward me wanting a range rover even more.
Old 05 January 2010, 07:30 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what tyrers have you on her now
Old 05 January 2010, 07:32 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

let them down a bit, might help a little.
Old 05 January 2010, 07:35 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

It could have been worse you might have got pulled out by an evo :O
Old 05 January 2010, 07:41 PM
boab74
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
It could have been worse you might have got pulled out by an evo :O

Old 05 January 2010, 07:45 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

feckin hell rick were are you driving i got stuck for 3hours in manchester this morning and my housing estate is a no go area regarding snow but the scoob still grips 01 bug uk
Old 05 January 2010, 07:45 PM
P555SBR
Scooby Regular

range rover are sensible but scoobys are fun iv got both and still use the scooby when im on my own tyre wise get a cheap set of falkens about 30 quid a piece then just swap back to somthing decent when the snows gone
Old 05 January 2010, 08:14 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

It's purely down to the tyres, I set my diff to full lock and can get up anything, ice, slush, snow. I have Falken 912's on my car btw, brilliant in the snow. Of course I have the problem that we all have, over sensitive ABS.
Old 05 January 2010, 08:42 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

i set my diff to full lock and slid down a hill lol and spun right around and thought ok am i going this way then haha my tyres are yokohama Neava in my opinion a pile of poo in snow and may as well be driving around on banana skins
Old 05 January 2010, 08:44 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

hope i didnt cause my diff any damage being towed out ot the snow although my wheels werent really turning just sliding and i had my diff set to auto. seems ok and the ABS is a pain in the *** lol
Old 05 January 2010, 08:48 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fordrsrickc
hope i didnt cause my diff any damage being towed out ot the snow although my wheels werent really turning just sliding and i had my diff set to auto. seems ok and the ABS is a pain in the *** lol
where abouts were you stuck rick
Old 05 January 2010, 08:53 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

i got stuck on a flat road that had deep snow in heywood outside my mums and outside my house too,..the wheels spin and polish the snow to ice under my wheels, then im going nowhere,.definately getting some new tyres on fri pay day. what tyres are you running nick?
Old 05 January 2010, 09:00 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fordrsrickc
i got stuck on a flat road that had deep snow in heywood outside my mums and outside my house too,..the wheels spin and polish the snow to ice under my wheels, then im going nowhere,.definately getting some new tyres on fri pay day. what tyres are you running nick?
goodridges on front proxys on back im on severn rd summit very difficult but gets up cherwell avenue no probs
Old 05 January 2010, 09:21 PM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

Invest in 4 of these for your Imprezas.
www.autosock.co.uk

This is where I bought mine from.
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/car-snow-so...ck-company.php

Last edited by Molbyman; 05 January 2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added new link
Old 05 January 2010, 11:07 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
goodridges on front proxys on back im on severn rd summit very difficult but gets up cherwell avenue no probs
How do you find it with different tyres on front and rear? I remember one guy refused to sell me different tyres in this fashion. Ended up buying new all round - car was originally on falkens, wanted to swap to F1s but rears had next to no wear when fronts needed replacing.

Is it a bit of a myth about mixing tyres??

dnc
Old 05 January 2010, 11:31 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not a good idea but sbe ok if different tyres on each axle. Mixing tyres across the car is a no no.
Old 06 January 2010, 07:56 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mifo
let them down a bit, might help a little.
Thats for sand snow is the opposite, you need a smaller contact area.

Tony
Old 06 January 2010, 09:09 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Running Prada 2's and having no issues with hills or ice. Pulling off in 2nd always helps.
Old 06 January 2010, 01:04 PM
motorola222
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Thats for sand snow is the opposite, you need a smaller contact area.

Tony
i never understood this theory, if its true then tracks and snow shoes shudnt work.

im using vredistien ultrac sessanta not a winter tyre but im assending a dencending hills ok bit sideways sometimes but be calm about ur driving and the scoob is a very controllable car, thank fully i did my advanced driver training up lake vernwy in snow and ice in a RWD BMW 1 series.

The scoob is good, but only as good as its driver and he/she is only as good as his tyres, paying cheap for winter tyres can sometimes just be false economy. Winters are said to get worse over the next few years due to global warming(yes i know it sounds odd but it can trigger a cooling effect) so im keeping some spare alloys with my winter tyres on(when i get them) for this seasons antics!!

good luck people

and

"be carefull out there".
Old 06 January 2010, 05:03 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by motorola222
i never understood this theory, if its true then tracks and snow shoes shudnt work.
The theory is sound. Tracks and snowshoes want to be on top of the snow where they can grip (snow) and push the object along. They need to stay up there. Get down below the snow and they cannot drive.

A fat wide low profile tyre cannot sit on top of the snow as it will just fill the (small) groves with snow and spin. A tyre needs to get down to the surface it can push along (tarmac) so needs to be thin to cut their way through. Often 4x4's are using thin nobbly tyres that bite down into the snow making contact with the harder stuff underneath which is why they are still out running at the moment on this uncompacted snow.
Old 06 January 2010, 05:26 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

I've had Toyo T1R's in some very deep snow on the flat and going up some pretty steep inclines in a mix of snow and ice. Never ever had a problem or got stuck anywhere...just stopping the bugger going downhill can be a prob.
Old 06 January 2010, 06:31 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Have had these on today. No grip problems whatsoever. Only thing difficult to control was the smile on my face.

Old 06 January 2010, 06:45 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Splitpin...Make and model of tyre!! How can you show off like that without telling us the details please!!

ETA: I've just spotted these from Nokian: http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=1...akkapeliitta+7

Don't think they'd be legal over here though

Last edited by scoobiewrx555; 06 January 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06 January 2010, 07:12 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

They're Dunlop gravel rally tyres, DZ86RW's I think, 195, soft compound and cut a little on the outer blocks.

Those Nokians wouldn't be legal over here - and the studs wouldn't last long on tarmac either. Their UK-legal winter tyres are good mind.
Old 06 January 2010, 08:29 PM
chavadurkin
Scooby Regular

SPlitpin. Please tell where you got them from and what size.

I can't find any rally tyres in 17inch.

Cheers.
Old 06 January 2010, 08:45 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Have had these on today. No grip problems whatsoever. Only thing difficult to control was the smile on my face.

Are you using those tyres on uk roads? Im pretty sure that most if not all gravel/snow rally tyres are illegal to use on the road, with rally cars travelling between stages being the exeption.
Old 06 January 2010, 10:03 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Nice tyres though. shame they'e only available in the smaller diameter sizes., 15's and 16's

Last edited by scoobiewrx555; 06 January 2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06 January 2010, 10:14 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by burbling1
Are you using those tyres on uk roads? Im pretty sure that most if not all gravel/snow rally tyres are illegal to use on the road, with rally cars travelling between stages being the exeption.
Thought it was just studded tyres were illegal?
But just who is going to chase after you to check tyres in this weather anyway
Old 06 January 2010, 10:30 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chavadurkin
SPlitpin. Please tell where you got them from and what size.
I got them from my shed. I can't remember where they originally came from, as I usually use Pirellis. These probably came from Mr Tyre.

I can't find any rally tyres in 17inch.
You won't, like that. They're 15's. Closest you'll get on 17 is likely to be rallycross-type patterns. TBH on normal road wheels your best option at this time of year would be a proper winter road tyre. I use these because I have loads of them, and because they work very well.

Originally Posted by burbling1
Meh, as per Butty's post, who cares. What the letter of the law says I have no idea, but in practice nobody gives a ****. I've never heard of the fuzz stopping cars with gravel tyres on recces, and given my experience of your average police vehicle inspector they wouldn't know enough to be able to argue anyway.

They're not studded, IIRC they're e-marked, they're M+S rated, clearly have more than 1.6mm of tread on them, and I've put recce and full rallycars through MOTs with racing tyres on in the past without the inspector batting an eyelid.

I've never heard of anyone being stopped under such circumstances, and if it ever happened to me, especially in this weather, I'd just laugh and suggest that I was contributing to the safety of myself and others by choosing tyres most appropriate for the prevailing weather conditions.

Last edited by Splitpin; 06 January 2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07 January 2010, 07:33 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin

Meh, as per Butty's post, who cares. What the letter of the law says I have no idea, but in practice nobody gives a ****. I've never heard of the fuzz stopping cars with gravel tyres on recces, and given my experience of your average police vehicle inspector they wouldn't know enough to be able to argue anyway.

They're not studded, IIRC they're e-marked, they're M+S rated, clearly have more than 1.6mm of tread on them, and I've put recce and full rallycars through MOTs with racing tyres on in the past without the inspector batting an eyelid.

I've never heard of anyone being stopped under such circumstances, and if it ever happened to me, especially in this weather, I'd just laugh and suggest that I was contributing to the safety of myself and others by choosing tyres most appropriate for the prevailing weather conditions.
I very much doubt you will get stopped and questioned about them, I only posted as I was looking into fitting them to my car for winter but was told they were illegal.

If the worse was to happen and there was a serious crash involved using illegal tyres Im quite sure Winston would be happy to see you in the showers.

Quick Reply: Towed to safety in the snow by a frontera the shame lol