Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Blobeye or hawkeye sti uk? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2010, 01:06 AM
keenosti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blobeye or hawkeye sti uk? Opinions?

I'm looking at getting a uk spec impreza sti, i'm not sure which to go for, the blobeye or the hawkeye.
Anyone got any views?
I really like the blobeye shape, think they look awesome. Also love the front end of the hawkeye, and like the fact they have xenon headlights (can you get these on the blobeye?), but the rear lights and small upper spoiler thingy really put me off it!

I am looking to spend somewhere around 11k maybe more if need be though. I really want a low mileage one too around 20-25k if poss. I have mainly been looking at 05 plate blobeyes (i hear these have dccd for improved handling, that right?) but i see the odd hawkeye around coming close to 11-12k. So it seems kind of a shame to get an older shape car when the same money could get a newer shape one I do also like my tuning and in the long run would like to aim for around 400bhp but from what i read on andy forrest website i would have to look at changing internals etc to run this power on the 2.5?, so in all i guess, which is better for tuneablity, handling, extras etc etc the 2.0 blobeye or 2.5 hawkeye?
Old 24 January 2010, 01:48 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i personally would go for a jdm hawkeye mate, they are standard forged 2.0 with twin scroll turbo and are capable of going 400bhp
Old 24 January 2010, 11:03 AM
keenosti
Scooby Newbie

Hmm I like the sound of forged as standard I think i'm gonna try and go for a uk type though. And from what i have read the jdms dont have the uneven headers that make the scooby sound!
Anyone know if you can get the projector/xenon style headlights for the blobeye shape?
And what difference does the center diff in the 2005 sti make?
Old 24 January 2010, 11:26 AM
utaka
Scooby Regular

not quite right mate i currently own a jdm sti spec c hawkeye and it comes with no forged parts, not even the ra r has forged internals, the pistons in spec c and any jdm item unless aftermarket use the same pistons as a standard sti, the turbo's are twin scroll and the jdm six speed box is neigh on inditructsable, but the engine is not a forged item with no forged intenals, the jdm car is a much better buy though mate. here is mine
http://Name:  SDC11310.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  52.0 KB
hope that helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SDC11310.jpg (52.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 24 January 2010, 11:55 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Hawkeye all the way, the 2.5 lump is brilliant so easy to drive with the extra low down tourqe.

The jdm's are better spec'd few more toys but I have to say this if you want the scooby for the sound then don't get a jdm as it will not sound the same, when I had my type25 that was one of the things that did my head in it missed that burble felt like I was Erving an evo.

Also the rear lights are the same as fitted to the blobeye so you can replace the hawkeye clear lights with them as it's a straight swap so don't be put off with the rear lights
Old 24 January 2010, 11:59 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

i think you will find that your car has sti forged pistons mate only the 2.0 sti's bugeye onwards were fitted with better internals.
Old 24 January 2010, 12:04 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

as for the sound that jdm make dont be put off by equal length header and not givin the burble, the sound they make is twice as good and they sound animal
Old 24 January 2010, 12:05 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

a pic of mine to maybe help you..........

Name:  Photo1765.jpg
Size:  77.4 KB

It just comes down to personal preference I guess
Old 24 January 2010, 12:52 PM
keenosti
Scooby Newbie

Both those cars look so nice! I like the idea you can change the rear lights on the hawkeye And yeah i thought you would have more torque on a 2.5, still really like the blobeye though. Either way i think i will be after a black one anyone got any pics?
Old 24 January 2010, 01:03 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L.J.F
as for the sound that jdm make dont be put off by equal length header and not givin the burble, the sound they make is twice as good and they sound animal
Horses for courses I think mate, for me it is all about the flat four burble, I don't disagree the jdm's sound nice on full chat but for me it's not as good as that burble, just the OP said he prefered the burble of the jdm so I would imagine that he would end up drivig a jdm wishing it had the burble I know I did.

Uk sti hawkeye gets my vote, updated pannel filter, walbro pump, decat and a remap will see a very capable road car with a load of torque comparedto the same set up on a 2.0, speak to most people and the common engine upgrade if a 2.0 goes is to pop in a 2.5 block. A minority sock with the 2.0 for the reviness of the block but the low down grunt does it for me.
Old 24 January 2010, 01:29 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L.J.F
i think you will find that your car has sti forged pistons mate only the 2.0 sti's bugeye onwards were fitted with better internals.
As far as i'm aware none of the Hawkeyes have forged pistons, and after bugeye they used 'hyperEutectic' pistons which are not as good as 'proper' forged pistons ie cosworth etc, and not good (or recommended) for over 400bhp.

Aaron
Old 24 January 2010, 01:45 PM
subeyman
Scooby Regular

The Hawkeye with a front splitter looks double hard and id change the rear pants lexus lights for 05 sti ones.
Ive had an 05 sti blob and loved it. Now got a JDM Hawkeye and think its a better car in my opinion.
As for the headers id say its a lot more quieter poodling about but when u give it some lod it sounds the danglies and neighbour friendly it certainly grows on ya quick time.
Hawkeye JDM for me, try and test drive both thats ur best bet
There is def differences with uk and jap i.e. spool time, quick rack steering, auto i/c spray etc

Last edited by subeyman; 24 January 2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 24 January 2010, 02:15 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

for 11k the best car you can afford is a jdm sti or even a spec c blobeye with low milage all blobeye 2 liter cars can easily do 400 hp safely as they are forged.
The hawk may be a better car but i thought and have been told by tuners that the 2.5 uk hawk engine is made from re cycled coke cans lol not really but ment to be weak and is not forged , obviously there will be exceptions to this but you asked ???
Old 24 January 2010, 02:42 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I've got a blobeye Spec C and yes I do miss the burble but as others have posted, sound f***ing awsome on full boost with your foot burried in the carpet (although it's a bit hard to bury your foot in the Spec C carpet because it's only about 1mm thick ).

JDM car all the way IMO.

and here it is....

Name:  newfrontend1.jpg
Size:  166.3 KB

Last edited by Trap2Terrorist; 24 January 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 24 January 2010, 03:48 PM
utaka
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
As far as i'm aware none of the Hawkeyes have forged pistons, and after bugeye they used 'hyperEutectic' pistons which are not as good as 'proper' forged pistons ie cosworth etc, and not good (or recommended) for over 400bhp.

Aaron
that is correct, they used the same pistons in all the jdm sti haweyes. i know they are not forged. all you need to do is find a high spec hawkeye build and none of them have forged pistons in there as standard hence we all have to forge our engine components to tollarate the extra power. i only know as mine is one of those cars, if my car came with forged pistons as standard i would have kept them

Name:  Picture260.gif
Size:  2.8 KB

Name:  p1010001-12.jpg
Size:  148.7 KB

project here if interested
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...ack-build.html
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Picture260.gif (2.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by utaka; 24 January 2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 25 January 2010, 11:55 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

oh right i was under the impression that all the 2.0 lumps had them, i know bugeye and blobeye had them!
Old 25 January 2010, 12:02 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

You can have mine for £12.5k - view my profile.

Now the shameless self promotion is over, I would say look at the hawkeye or a late blobeye as they get the wider track. I'm not sure if you get DCCD as standard in a blobeye but you do in a hawkeye.

Rear lights are easily changed between the two models (as you can see from mine), so don't get hung up on that.

The important bit is the difference between the 2.5ltr and the 2.0ltr. You need to test drive both as only you can decide which better suits your driving style.
Old 25 January 2010, 12:45 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Agree with Mikkel. I went from the 2.0sti blob to the 2.5sti hawk and hated it. Had the blob nearly four years and the hawkeye less than six months. Test drive both and see what works for you.

My hawkeye had the ppp and was a thirsty bugger as well (more so than the blob that had been modded to 400bhp). If I go come back to the fold it will have to be JDM after four UK outings.
Old 25 January 2010, 06:26 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by keenosti
Both those cars look so nice! I like the idea you can change the rear lights on the hawkeye And yeah i thought you would have more torque on a 2.5, still really like the blobeye though. Either way i think i will be after a black one anyone got any pics?

Good choice!!!

Name:  July09-carafteraclean007.jpg
Size:  111.6 KB
Name:  JUne2008-caronlocation017-1.jpg
Size:  6.0 KB
Name:  Endofseasonmeet003-1.jpg
Size:  96.6 KB
Old 25 January 2010, 06:41 PM
subeyman
Scooby Regular

Name:  mycleanscoob7.jpg
Size:  118.7 KB

Hawkeye jdm
Old 25 January 2010, 08:00 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

that blue jdm is pure w@nk material
Old 25 January 2010, 11:28 PM
keenosti
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the help guys i have looked into both types and it seems the tax on the hawkeye is double the blobeye! Is that right?!
Old 26 January 2010, 08:53 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by keenosti
thanks for the help guys i have looked into both types and it seems the tax on the hawkeye is double the blobeye! Is that right?!
If the car was registered after a certain date in 2006, it falls into the new high tax bracket. I think it is March 25th. You can get some hawkeyes that are on the same tax band as 05 and earlier cars. It's the sad face of the future for performance cars I'm afraid.
Old 26 January 2010, 08:56 AM
verdasco1
Scooby Regular

how much is the tax for a blobeye then?
Old 26 January 2010, 09:02 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

JDM blobeye for me, Hawkeye front end is a dog's dinner ... they were just limbering up for the aberation that is the hatchback I reckon.

Blobeye is the second best looking Scoob model after the proper one of course

JDM will have all the goodies that the UK car doesn't and shouldn't kill you price wise either.
Old 26 January 2010, 11:03 AM
Kinni
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
If the car was registered after a certain date in 2006, it falls into the new high tax bracket. I think it is March 25th. You can get some hawkeyes that are on the same tax band as 05 and earlier cars
Correct mine is March 2006 but before the 25th so it's still the same as the 2001-2005 prices

Possibly a benefit to any potential buyers when I sell it I guess. £240 a year cheaper I believe it will be.

Hawkeyes are the best looking IMO. Here is my pride and joy.

Name:  Imprezaupwood010.jpg
Size:  85.2 KB