ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

total newbie question :|

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2010, 05:36 PM
Hornet_rider
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default total newbie question :|

Ok wana buy my first scooby, though hitting a speed bump on which model to choose from.

Can someone clarify what the difference is as its either been a long *** day or I just need glasses

I want a WRX STI, Though I keep seeing different models like 'prodrive' 'PPP' and 'type uk'

can someone explain each ot me please

cheers
Old 25 February 2010, 07:41 PM
Matt78
Scooby Regular

What age are you talking about buying mate? Then people can be of more help.
Old 25 February 2010, 08:02 PM
Hornet_rider
Scooby Newbie

ah I see, 2003

cheers mate
Old 25 February 2010, 08:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so a PPP'd STI of that age will be 305PS or 301bhp, the standard model is 265ps or 262bhp so you have an increase in power there
Type UK just denotes that its a UK spec model, you get eu imports that are exactly the same spec and then you get the JDM cars which are totally different with revised engines and better power distribution/higher rev range/more usable torque/more out of the box power.

http://www.prodrive.com/
Prodrive is a company that started off life building rally cars, they are based in Banbury, just off the M40 (you can see their place when you pass it on the m/way), they also do performance upgrades, the PPP (prodrive performance pack) being one of them, its an official upgrade along with all the other prodrive goodies you can get for scoobs

Tony
Old 25 February 2010, 08:41 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

EU Imports are not exactly the same as a Type UK .... Alarm System is different and won't be registered on the Subaru UK Database if anything goes wrong with it (see the popst on Sigma Alarm in this Forum).

There will be other differences too ....

EU Imports are Cheaper than Type UK (obviously) and Grey Imports (JDM's) are cheaper still.

My advice would be to buy an unmolested Type UK car, with few owners and Full Documented History .... there are plenty for sale, no need to settle for anything modified or any Import either. You can demand the best these days - a Type UK.

That's my opinion.
Old 25 February 2010, 09:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Pete, JDM's cost just as much as UK STI's, they are of a higher spec and have less mechanical failures compared to UK cars (and retain their value better ).
EU spec cars are similar to UK ones, they probably have a better alarm system too

Demand for type UK's is low, its a buyers market, you get a lot of stupidly priced MY03 cars for say 10-11k when they should be 7-8k max, and considering you can get an MY05 uk car for 10k with low miles (better than the previous models due to them using the JDM Spec C setup for geometry ) its a better car.

As per any car, look for any accident damage, HPI checks and service history, personally I would look for an MY03 JDM car with full history as these are a better spec of car with things you didnt see as standard (and still dont) on the UK cars for another 2 years.

Tony
Old 25 February 2010, 09:14 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Tony talks a lot of sense, Newbie .... but, on this occasion he is talking rubbish

Stick with an unmodified Type UK - no need to settle for the 'also-ran' Imports
Old 25 February 2010, 09:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Tony talks a lot of sense, Newbie .... but, on this occasion he is talking rubbish

Stick with an unmodified Type UK - no need to settle for the 'also-ran' Imports
Pete is anti Import, though I dont know why, they are better in all sense, you just have to be careful what you buy, just as you do a UK car that could have been ragged senseless
Though most of it depends on your budget, personally having owned UK and JDM cars, I would go for the JDM models and a good fuel remap (a KS3 is a good bit of kit for both UK and JDM cars in standard form), though check out pistonheads, too many expensive and well over priced cars there, 9k for a 50k mile 03 plate or 10k for a 52k mile fssh 05 model with PPP..... hmmmm hard choice

Tony
Old 25 February 2010, 10:00 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Sorry Pete, but Tony is talking sense here. A JDM imported 2003 STI is the way to go. A better car all round than the equivalent Type UK.
Old 26 February 2010, 11:09 AM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

I think your squabbling is just confusing the poor newbie even more.

If you're not an expert and it is your 1st Scooby, then a EU/UK spec car will be more than enough to make you smile. An EU car will be virtually the same as a TypeUK car, just make sure it has a Cat1 alarm, tracker and locking wheel nuts fitted (or you won't get insurance).

You can tell an EU car from the service book: The PDI will be stamped by the selling dealer, which may be Cyprus or Malta. Nothing wrong with these cars,(I've got one) but I'd pay a little bit less because they cost less and some people (like SSU) won't touch them so maybe a bit harder to sell especially to a main dealer.

A Japanese spec car is a better one, but you need to do lots of research and speak to people who know more than me.

The PPP equipped cars are worth having as they give you an extra 40bhp with no increase is fuel consumption or reliability issues. Worth around £1k more, I'd say.
Old 26 February 2010, 05:13 PM
Hornet_rider
Scooby Newbie

well I have came across a JDM wiht low mileage though think they want around 13k for it.

finding an un-molested Type uk is harder than you think, want one in black with low'ish mileage....but as yet have had no luck.

thanks for your info guys, gonna keep doing more re-search. sure Ill be back soon with a daft question or two